Anyone Tried "Sous Vide" Cooking?

by Simon 59 Replies latest social family

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    If it beats the steaks done on my charcoal smoker ill buy one!

Don't reckon anything can beat that, imho

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

"cooking with a dildo" - did I miss something? did Simon are someone say sous vide steaks come out looking like like a dildo, or the apparatus you use to sous vide is shaped like one?

• Dagney
    Dagney

I finally bought one a few months ago when there was a good deal on Amazon. I haven't used it yet so maybe this weekend. I did pick up some silicon bags to use with it so I'm all set to go!

I did a McGiver sous vide a few years ago in my slow cooker on warm. The meat was so tender it was almost too tender. I think I will look at recipes at lunch today...inspired...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I haven't done any sous-vide coking myself, but I am familiar with it. Think of it as a slow-cooker (with a dildo) but with PRECISE control over the cooking temperature; something that most slow-cookers are notoriously bad at.

By the way, if you want a slow cooker with much better temperature control than that thing on your kitchen counter, use you OVEN at the lower setting you usually ignore! Ovens are generally pretty good at temperature control!

The big beauty is - as Simon said, that with sous-vide you CANNOT overcook your food (if you set the temperature properly). NOTE: Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures are NOT the same! For example, 100°F is body temperature, and 100° C is boiling water. But you knew that.

Digressing... I have a GE induction stove, and after it was delivered (!) I learned that the next model up from mine has a thermal probe for the induction cooktop, which essentially turns the cooktop into an induction sous-vide! Grrr! If I had known, I would have ordered THAT instead of the one I bought... Grrr!

OK, back to sous-vide... Try sous-vide with game meats - venison, goat, mutton, moose & squirrel ("Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"). Try it with brisket or corned beef, chuck stew beef, or make a batch of Chinese Red-Cooked Beef Shank if you are willing to boldly go...

I have heard that sous-vide eggs are out-of-this-world.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I like grilled meats as much as the next guy, but when I hear people saying "{the thing I use} is the BEST!"

...what I hear is "I have ONE tool; my shiny drywall hammer. Nothing is better than my drywall hammer for driving screws!"

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

@SIMON: Thanks for letting us know about your experience/sous-vide gear!

Been thinking of trying this for awhile. Had an AMAZING piece of halibut cooked sous vide this summer. Melts in your mouth. . . .

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To be honest I've never tried this method of cooking, Sous Vide, so I shouldn't be down on it.

Nevertheless have fun exploring this technique and please report back with your results.

Sounds interesting.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    By the way, if you want a slow cooker with much better temperature control than that thing on your kitchen counter, use you OVEN at the lower setting you usually ignore!

True, I've lately gotten into roasting a chicken at 200-250, depending on the size of it, as even BBQ experts say, slow and low is the best way to go. I always roast a chicken breast side down, but with a low oven temp, it really doesn't matter. No dry meat at all.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I’ve done some sous vide over the last few years. It’s really simple, if you can keep an eye on it, you can even do it on the stove top without any fancy gear except for a thermometer.

That being said, you can prep and keep steaks warm for about 4 hours, after that it does start getting a bit too soft for my tastes. Then simply throw it on a hot grill or pan for a minute to get a sear or use a blowtorch. Let it sit for 10m to rest.

Given you’re not boiling the water, you can do this in any size container like an ice box. I cooked an entire sirloin (sliced in 2” steaks) once. If you're doing cheaper steak cuts, I would sous vide them in a marinade containing Worcester, lemon juice, soy sauce, spices and pepper to soften the tougher parts.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Love these cooking threads. Thanks for all the tips guys!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit