Anyone Tried "Sous Vide" Cooking?

by Simon 59 Replies latest social family

• Simon
    Simon

PSA: I had a go making homemade gyro (doner) meat, cooked it sous-vide.

Came out great - kebabs taste just like street-meat but without that "am I going to die?" feeling in the back of your mind (yeah, we eat them anyway).

It got the kid "is there any more? and can you make more in the morning so I can take it for lunch?" seal of approval.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Hmm, never tried it, but makes sense. An added benefit also is that when you grill things, you end up burning little bits of the meat, which is not great for your health. This method seems to cook similar to boiling.

My only doubt is about heating food while it's in contact with plastic (bags) or vice versa. I understand there is bleed from plastic onto food, this is why it's not recommended to heat things for too long in plastic inside a microwave or let you plastic water bottle in a locked car under the sun.

Aside from this, sounds like I would try it.

• Simon
    Simon

I think you're talking about BPA that won't be in any food-grade plastics anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

But yes, it's similar to boiling except it's not making contact with the water which would be pretty gross for meat (unless you intend to make a stew). That's more slow-cooker territory.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Has anyone got one of those AMAZING Miele ovens with the Sous Vide drawer/and or Steam oven??? I think most professional restaurant kitchens rate their induction hobb and their sous vide drawer/steam oven best of all. If you’re going to regularly cook sous vide maybe you should consider a Miele steam oven* next time you purchase a new oven, Simon?

PS what is a pinch method of telling if a steak is done please?

*you can also bake wicked bread that way, too!

• Simon
    Simon

what is a pinch method of telling if a steak is done please?

You pinch your index finger and thumb and different points in the ball of your hand match the doneness of steak.

Really, it doesn't help much ... it's way, way easier to get a perfect steak via sous vide - every one we've done has been absolutely perfect. I never really liked rare steak much before because there was always a really pink bit (safer to go for medium) but now its spot on every time.

• belogical
    belogical

Forget the Sous Vide method of cooking

just cover your steak with a crushed kiwifruit wrap or bag for 2 hours in the refrigerator and grill to perfection

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

We like our steaks quite rare. So I heat up the griddle pan on a gas ring until it's really hot. Then I drop in salted steak and cook for exactly 2 minutes each side. Then I take the pan off the ring and allow it to stand for 5 minutes.

Yum!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Steak is the essence of simplicity: season with salt and pepper, place on a hot pre-heated grill, sear the steak and move to a coolest section of the grill until it reaches 125 F for medium rare and 135 for well done. A meat thermometer is indispensable for all meats, not just beef.

• Simon
    Simon

I think you're missing the benefit of Sous Vide - while you're heating the inside to the desired temperature with a pan or over, you're cooking the outside even more. The cooking is never even throughout - the outside is overcooked or the inside is undercooked to varying degrees depending on the thickness of the cut.

Sous Vide gives you the perfect temperature all the way through with no guesswork or constant checking. It doesn't matter if you leave it in for an extra hour, it's still done to perfection.

• LV101
    LV101

Great topic, Simon - this is so interesting. I'm going to watch the video and order the Anova Nano on Amazon or wherever I can find it. Keeping the veggies immersed sounds a tad challenging. The steaks/asparagus/chicken look delectable.

Thanks for all the info.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit