Anyone Tried "Sous Vide" Cooking?

by Simon 59 Replies latest social family

• LauraV
    LauraV

I've seen this demonstrated on one of the cooking shows, cooking a steak for an hour or so and then putting it in a pan to brown it and put some color on it (as they did on the show) doesn't make sense at all to me, just throw it in the oven with a good rub down of olive oil, salt and pepper, cut's down cooking time by about 45 minutes.

• Simon
    Simon
    Keeping the veggies immersed sounds a tad challenging.

Yes, they tend to want to float so either use a rack that they push into or weights to hold them under. They do come out great though - although mentally it doesn't seem different to boiling them directly in water, the difference is that to get them that tender you'd be pouring a lot of the taste away with the water. Pop a little butter in the bag, mmnn, delicious.

The steaks/asparagus/chicken look delectable.

They really are, definitely worth trying. Chicken is lovely and tender without being dry.

• Simon
    Simon
    doesn't make sense at all to me, just throw it in the oven with a good rub down of olive oil, salt and pepper, cut's down cooking time by about 45 minutes.

The sous-vide part doesn't require any supervision, you can leave it on and go out or set a timer for it to cook before you arrive home (some allow remote control via wifi). So all there is to do is the searing.

You can also do a lot of the prep up-front - then just use the vacuum bagged meat and veg as you need them during the week. It's often easier than doing it per-meal and that alone might make it worth doing ... but the fact that the results are so good is a plus.

Sometimes it makes the cooking process easier - e.g. Brussels sprouts grilled / oven baked are hard to have both crispy and tender, but cooking them SV first makes them both.

https://www.errenskitchen.com/the-best-brussels-sprouts-of-your-life/

• LV101
    LV101

Sounds great -- I can't stand steak cooked in the oven or broiler and it's way too hot in summertime to live here much less grill. Can't wait to try this out and appreciate the info.

• Simon
    Simon

If heat is an issue, there's also a blowtorch attachment called a "Searzall" so you don't even need to heat a pan - you could do it on a BBQ grill outside, without having to heat that up as well.

http://www.bookeranddax.com/searzall

• LV101
    LV101

Thx/sounds intriguing and challenging for us around here -- I'm more on the level of using skillet/oil/butter on gas cooktop to brown the outside but the torch probably cleaner/less stove top mess and more efficient once familiar with process. I think I'll order and have my tech-y adult kid who loves that kind of thing set up.

You are cutting-edge tech! Thanks.

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

I love sous vide cooking! One of my new favorite are the sous vide egg bites! Yum

• Simon
    Simon
    You are cutting-edge tech! Thanks.

I haven't personally used the torch, but it's on my list of things to maybe invest in. A good cast-iron skillet with butter is still perfect for searing steak!

One of my new favorite are the sous vide egg bites! Yum

Yeah, and those things are expensive if you're getting them from Starbucks ... and they're tiny!

• Simon
    Simon

My new favourite food to make Sous Vide is Kebabs!

Our kebab shop changed hands and it's still "OK" but they are now super-stingy with the portions and I begrudge having to pay $13+ price of a 'large' just to get a small one.

So I looked at whether you can buy the kebab meat, and of course you can, but for some reason I'm not allowed to setup a grill with one of those huge spinning cones of meat at home (even though it would be wonderful).

Turns out, it's super-simple to make at home and cooks great using Sous Vide. I had to buy a food processor from Costco (but it's probably already paid for itself) and then it's just a case of throwing some spices in with a pound or two of minced lamb or beef, wrap it in clingfilm for a night in the fridge and then sous-vide it. After cooking, slice pieces off (like a mini kebab meat cone) and either grill or fry it a little (if you don't have a rotisserie), wrap it in Pita bread with some veggies and eat.

I've settled on making either Greek-style Lamb Gyros (tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, tzatziki, feta cheese etc...) or Atlantic-style Spiced Beef (lettuce, grilled cheese & onions, banana peppers, sweet donair sauce, etc...) and they both come out really good.

For less than the price of one kebab from the shop you can get 4-6 home made. It also freezes really well so makes a convenient quick meal thats still delicious and healthy.

Kebabs are health food .... right?

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

My mouth is watering! Yum!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit