Anyone Tried "Sous Vide" Cooking?

by Simon 59 Replies latest social family

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Seems like a long drawn out procedure just to cook food particularly steak.

I like to barbecue a good quality steak on a hot barbecue grill that is made for searing meat like beef steak.

Marinade the meat first with seasoning, Hy's is good, add crushed garlic and bit of olive oil. and leave it in the fridge over night.

As for chicken the best I've ever cooked was again on the barbecue using an upright rack that makes room for a can of beer which you leave open inside the chicken cavity during the cooking process.

Bask the bird with your favorite barbecue sauce and leave the lid down for an hour and a half at low heat. 300' F. Wallah

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Simon, you had me at "cooking with a dildo". If you're not a copywriter, you should be.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

After reading this thread I went and bought me one of the supper hot dildos at best buys should come in to my home in 2 or3 days also got their special plastic bag and put some chicken legs in it and I'm gonna leave it in my crock pot 3/4 full of water, on low for 7-8 hours. Will get back to you on the taste latter.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Restaurants and chefs use this method quite a bit. It's great for meat but works for many things, cooks it evenly, retains all the moisture and then chred on a grill to finish off - great way to cook.

• Simon
    Simon
    As for chicken the best I've ever cooked was again on the barbecue using an upright rack that makes room for a can of beer which you leave open inside the chicken cavity during the cooking process.

Fun fact, you can't say "beer can chicken" without it sounding like a Jamaican saying "bacon chicken".

Once you hear it, you can never un-hear it. Every time you hear anyone say "beer can" now you'll think of this and laugh.

Trust me. I'm rasta.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Simon - I don't think that's really possible with an oven and it's hard to get 'good', never mind 'perfect'. The outside will be overcooked in order to get the middle cooked to the right temperature (or else it's raw)

I beg to differ, If you know folks who like to pan sear their steaks to give it the "crispy" like you get in restaurants, all I do is rub down the steak with olive oil, salt and pepper, put a piece of foil on a cookie sheet, put it in the oven and cook it on one side longer to get the "restaurant crispy", then according to thickness flip it on other side when necessary, the middle comes out to my liking (since I'm the one cooking and monitoring it)

I like a medium rare steak myself. The "outside" as you say is never "burnt to a crisp", you just have to keep an eye on it and cook it to your liking, some people like burnt to a crisp an some people like a well done steak, which is leather and a waste of money an time if you ask me.

• Simon
    Simon
    the middle comes out to my liking

Yeah, but to do that the oven has to be way hotter which means the non-middle is overdone. It has to be because of the physics of how it cooks in an oven. "Burnt to a crisp" is hyperbole but it is more done than you wanted it apart from the small sliver in the middle.

This approach allows the entire steak to be cooked exactly to your liking with pretty much no expertise whatsoever. Imagine, the complete steak medium rare just as you like it, no grey whatsoever and a complete amateur like me able to achieve better results than an experiences chef - that's pretty awesome.

Until you try it, you can't really judge it to be inferior.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

If it beats the steaks done on my charcoal smoker ill buy one!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

"cooking with a dildo"

LOL ...

I can picture that on a segment of the Home Shopping Network (HSN).

It would be great to hear the referrals when women call in and tell them how well it works. And then asking the hosts that they don't understand the directions that it can also be used to cook.

Rub a Dub

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I've wanted to go sous vide for couple years as I've been ill never got around to it. I did buy a Bain Marie though for sweets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit