PORTUGAL: Filed a petition to the parliament to erase the legal entity of the Jehovah's Witness

by EdenOne 127 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Update: 156 signatures.

A press release was unleashed to the portuguese news agency Lusa and all the main newspapers, TV and radio stations in Portugal. Ex-JW reddit communities in other EU countries are also promoting this petition now.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Eden I couldn't get it to Google translate for me. If you just tell me what info they ask for in what order I can do it.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

This is the text of the press release translated to English.

PRESS RELEASE

SUBJECT: PUBLIC PETITION REQUESTS THE EXTINCTION OF THE "ASSOCIATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES" AND THE CANCELLATION OF ITS STATUS OF RELIGION RECOGNIZED BY THE PORTUGUESE STATE.

Lisbon, February 9, 2018

March 9, 2018 marks the 40th anniversary of the publication in Diário da República, I Series A, No. 57/78, of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; November 9, 2018 marks the 40th anniversary of the entry into force of the Portuguese legal order of the European Convention on Human Rights. These conventions contain a number of fundamental human rights, including the right to freedom of thought, opinion and expression, the freedom to have a religion or to change one's religion or belief, and not to be disturbed, discriminated against or prejudiced by that.

In line with these conventions, the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic enshrines a number of rights, freedoms and personal guarantees, including the right to freedom of conscience, religion and worship, as well as the right to freedom of expression, association, the right to moral and physical integrity, the right not to be treated with cruelty or inhumanity, the right to a good name and not to be treated with discrimination, among others.

It sometimes happens that the right to religious freedom conflicts with other fundamental rights of individuals. What are the limits of religious freedom? Does the freedom to practice a religion override other fundamental human rights? Can one allow everything to a religious organization in the name of religious freedom enshrined in the constitution? This is a debate that our society needs to make.

At stake is the treatment of Jehovah's Witnesses to individuals, adults and minors, who for some reason are no longer affiliated with this religious organization. Jehovah's Witnesses have a practice of excommunication that entails the complete social ostracization of former members and hatred of dissenters of conscience; this institutionally taught and implemented practice separates families and friends, causes deep psychological damage that can, ultimately, end in suicide, coerces individuals, limits one's self-determination, destroys one's self-esteem, and harms human dignity. Should a church that advocates cruel, inhumane and law-breaking practices, and the violation of Constitutional and human rights continue to receive official recognition of the state? Can and should the state intervene to regulate this conflict and protect citizens?

A petition was filed online to the parliament in order to request the extinction of the collective religious entity representing Jehovah's Witnesses in Portugal and to cancel their registration as a religious legal person, thus removing the status of religion officially recognized by the Portuguese State, until this practice of social ostracization is canceled definitively by the religious group and its victims relieved of the suffering they are subjected to because of it. It is very important to point out the following: It is not a matter of asking for the proscription or banishment of this religion, nor of preventing individuals who profess this faith from freely meeting or spreading their beliefs; we understand that these are peaceful rights and do not conflict with other individual rights. This petition addresses only the status of the collective religious entity that represents them, and if the violation of human and constitutional rights ceases in a satisfactory and permanent manner, we understand that Jehovah's Witnesses should once again enjoy official recognition.

The petition can be found at the following address:

http://peticaopublica.com/pview.aspx?pi=ExtRegistoATJ

We are grateful for the attention and dissemination of the initiative and the promotion of the debate on this theme in society. For more information you can get the contacts of those who propose this initiative by sending a message to the email: XXXXXX

The petition has gathered 163 votes so far. If you are voting from outside Portugal, it would be interesting to say from what EU country you are voting from and also leave a comment.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Eden I couldn't get it to Google translate for me. If you just tell me what info they ask for in what order I can do it. - Diogenesister

They ask for (Field 1) Your name, (Field 2) An identity document number, (Field 3 - optional) Leave a comment.

The public won't be able to see the full name of the person. The petitioner won't be able to see the ID document number. After voting you will receive an email to reconfirm that you have voted. Remember, only votes from citizens from E.U. countries count, even if you are living outside the E.U.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Update: 200 signatures

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thank you Eden . I hope my drivers liscence will do as my passport has expired recently.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Diogenesister
    Thank you Eden . I hope my drivers liscence will do as my passport has expired recently.

Remember: You should be a citizen of one of the countries of the E.U. in order that your vote counts.

And yes, I think your driver's license should do it.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Update: The petition has gathered 262 signatures in 8 days since it went online. 1/4 of the goal of 1.000 has been reached.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    1/4 of the goal of 1.000 has been reached.

Out of curiosity, then what?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Out of curiosity, then what? - Morpheus

Then, with 1000 signatures, the petition can not be dismissed on the basis of inadmissibility and the petitioner must be given an audience at the parliament to present the case. The petition also gets published in the official "Diário da República" paper, where all the laws are also published.

296 signatures

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit