Teen puts a frog in a potato gun. Frog exacts revenge.

by Yizuman 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    Posted on Wed, Apr. 16, 2003
    'Toy gun' mishap blinds teen
    By Peyton D. Woodson
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - A Denton teen-ager was blinded this weekend and faces reconstructive surgery because a toy gun he was playing with shot a frog into his face.

Daniel Berry, 17, was looking down the barrel of a "potato gun" when it went off, his parents, Lisa and Clifford Berry, said at an afternoon news conference at John Peter Smith Hospital.

Berry is in serious condition at the hospital, and doctors have talked to the teen's parents about fitting him with prosthetic eyes, the Berrys said.

"The frog hit him with a force more than a gun," Lisa Berry, 41, said. "If it had been a potato or a rock, it would have killed him. It would have blown the top of his head off."

A potato gun is a device with a tube such as plastic water pipe, a combustion chamber and an igniter. Projectiles such as potatoes can be loaded into the tube and fired several hundred feet when a propellant such as hairspray is ignited in the chamber.

Berry and some friends were fishing at Hickory Creek in Copper Canyon about 1 a.m. Sunday when they saw three other teen-agers with the potato gun, said Kevin Patton, a Denton County sheriff's spokesman.

"They were shooting potatoes, then one of them got the idea to shoot frogs out of it," Patton said.

The gun, which the teens bought on the Internet, began to misfire.

"Daniel Berry walked over to see if he could help," Patton said. "Curiosity got to him, I guess. The frog hit him square in the face. He suffered several facial fractures."

Clifford Berry, 59, said his younger son, C.W., was with Daniel when the accident occurred. "He held him in his arms all the way from the creek bank to the hospital in Denton," Clifford Berry said.

Daniel Berry was eventually flown to JPS by helicopter ambulance.

Lisa Berry said that the force of the blast blew off her son's eyelids.

"If he cries, it burns his eyes," she said. "I never thought any toy a child could order would wound my child like that."

The Texas Penal Code classifies potato guns as "zip guns," and they are considered illegal weapons, a spokeswoman for the Department of Public Safety said.

Patton said the case was reviewed by the Denton County district attorney's office. "There are not going to be charges filed at this time," he said. "It's just a very unfortunate accident."

Daniel Berry told his parents he wants to continue his college education.

"We've been telling him we're going to do the best for him," Lisa Berry said. "He can still be a man, he can still be independent with this disability."

Quote: "Daniel Berry told his parents he wants to continue his college education."

Comment: So is he gonna take up Marine Biology?

Yizuman

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

That was an extremely sad and tragic accident for anyone to endure, especially someone so young. Your closing remark is cruel and mean. If I were you I would edit them out so we don't all beat the shit out of you. JamesT

• LDH
    LDH

Frankly, he got what he deserved. He intended to cruelly kill the frog. It didn't go as planned. Boo-Hoo!

I know a "brother" named Ray in Geneva NY who goes out of his way to run over frogs as he drives down the road. Frog Popping, I think he calls it. It disgusts me to have such disdain for life.

If he happened to hit a telephone pole and die while "frog popping," I wouldn't give an iota of a damn.

Lisa

• nilfun
    nilfun

Not funny.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

It wasn't funny when I saw this on fark.com either.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Not funny.

Extremely.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I know a "brother" named Ray in Geneva NY who goes out of his way to run over frogs as he drives down the road. Frog Popping, I think he calls it. It disgusts me to have such disdain for life.

That absolutely sickens me. I don't like frogs much, but I wouldn't ever considering harming them like that. Ugh.

• riz
    riz

that poor froggie

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Frankly, he got what he deserved. He intended to cruelly kill the frog. It didn't go as planned. Boo-Hoo!

To give equal weight to a 17 year old losing part of his face and both eyes, to that of the life of a frog, I call a "disgusting distain for life". JamesT

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale
    To give equal weight to a 17 year old losing part of his face and both eyes, to that of the life of a frog, I call a "disgusting distain for life".

JamesT~

That is rather arrogant, don't you think? Humans are NOT superior to any other living creature. A frog's life is just as important as your own. To demean that shows blatant disrespect to mother nature and ALL creatures.

Asortafairytale

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit