'You didn't fire a warning shot soon enough!'

by William Penwell 148 Replies latest jw friends

• tyydyy
    tyydyy
    some of the Kurds and Shiites are happy to see the end of Saddams government, they still do not want a foreign power putting in leaders that will dictate to them. They want to be able to choose there own form of government

They want to be able to choose their own government? Well then, maybe they should have gotten rid of the evil man. Did they get a chance to choose their own form of government when Saddam was elected? Since we were the ones to make the sacrifices and take the initiative then we should have a say in what kind of government gets set up there. Sounds reasonable to me.

TimB

• dubla
    dubla

t h-

So your saying you wouldn't be pissed, and do anything, if your family was just wiped out, by the supposed liberating force?

even though this is a ridiculous hypothetical, ill continue to humor it. if youre speaking of the people in the van, i wouldnt have taken my family out of the basement to begin with, so they wouldnt have ever been "wiped out" by the liberating force. i suppose a missle could fly off target and land in our basement, killing us all...but at that point i wouldnt need to fight anyone, as id most likely be dead. now, do i need to discuss what i would do on the off chance that my entire family was wiped out by an off target missle, and i survived? or can we end the nonsense here? lol.........also, i echo tyys comments, in that we dont allow murderous dictators to rule our country in the first place, so technically wed never need a liberating force....wed liberate ourselves.

william-

Yes it is like comparing apples with oranges or comparing Christians with Muslims. We begin to comprehend what those people are feeling. Objectively speaking, reports show that even though some of the Kurds and Shiites are happy to see the end of Saddams government, they still do not want a foreign power putting in leaders that will dictate to them. They want to be able to choose there own form of government. Why isn't this what democracy is all about?

perhaps you havent been paying attention to the plans for post-war iraq. the idea from the u.s. is to institute a governement where the shiites and kurds are a part of it, where all the people of iraq indeed do have a voice in the government. and yes, this is what democracy is all about.

aa

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    the idea from the u.s. is to institute a governement where the shiites and kurds are a part of it, where all the people of iraq indeed do have a voice in the government. and yes, this is what democracy is all about.

Seems like the love fest with the British are cooling off on this point as they are not seeing eye to eye with what to do after the invasion and occupation of Iraq. Maybe the US will put in another US supported government like the Philippians Ferdinand Marcos, Suharto of Indonesia or the Shah of Iran.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Marines Fire on Truck, Kill 7 Civilians

The Associated Press

U.S. Marines fired on a truck that refused to stop for a checkpoint south of Baghdad Friday, killing some civilians, a defense official said.

The shooting killed seven civilians, including three children, an ABC News reporter traveling with the Marine unit said.

The civilian Iraqis were in vehicles behind a military truck that refused to stop and tried to crash through the Marine roadblock, ABC reported.

Pentagon officials said they didn't have many details of the incident Friday night.

Several Iraqi attacks on U.S. forces have occurred at checkpoints. Northwest of Baghdad, a car bomb killed three American soldiers and the two women who had been inside the vehicle, Central Command said Friday.

A suicide car bombing Saturday at a checkpoint near Najaf killed four U.S. soldiers.

Other civilians also have died. On Monday, Army troops firing on a civilian vehicle that refused to stop at a checkpoint near Najaf killed at least seven and as many as 11 civilians, according to conflicting reports from relatives and Central Command.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Chill, will ya?!

AND!

Put me down for a couple of tickets to the JWD smack down in Seattle.

Oh, the irony of THAT!

So..I'm reading and reading this thread, and the following stops me dead.

Actually Trauma Hound, What we would do and what we did do 200 years ago was get rid of the oppressor ourselves. We didn't need anyone else to come liberate us like the Iraqis do. We do not tolerate dictators in our country. We fight people who try to kill our families. The worse it gets the more we fight. These people have already shown that they don't have what it takes to get rid of a man they don't want. They are too afraid to make the sacrifices. Oh yeah, they're ready to run a suicide mission but they aren't willing to risk the death of their loved ones for the freedom of their countrymen. Some Iraqis do see the Coalition as an invading enemy. Yeah......And..... Some here in the US beleive there was no holocaust.

What you will find, when the dust clears, is a secretly grateful yet spineless population. TimB

Tim, Do you actually believe this? You believe that there is a reasonable comparison to the American Revolution, and the situation that was/is in Iraq?

Please, say it ain't so!

First off, King George the III was certainly no oppressor ALA Saddam Hussein. He was absolutely an odd man and was known for exhibiting some rather strange habits. He was also a lover of literature and art. He wasn't, however, a man so thirsty for power that he was willing to kill and torture members of his own family, or brutalize anyone that questioned his judgment.

We didn't need anyone to come and liberate us like the Iraqis? Again, hard to compare. King George didn't LIVE in the United States. He lived thousands of miles away in England. Granted, he had his ministers and loyal subjects running things, but it's kinda hard to dictate when you ain't even near the place. And in those days, any kind of communication, the transport of arms, and troops literally took several months because everything had to be transported by ship across the Atlantic.

And remember, what got the colonists all riled up was TAXES (Some things never change *Sigh*). Not freedom, or liberty. That didn't come until later.

And nearly all historians agree that the US would have remained under British rule if it had not been for France (Oh Gawd! I said France!) entering into the war. Though the Rebels had won a few important battles, for the most part, they were getting their butts kicked, ROYALLY (pun intended). Because of horrible conditions in which the Continental Army had to fight (and we have all read the stories about them marching in the snow with no shoes, let alone no food, and Congress not having any money to pay them) desertion was a never ending problem with which Washington had to cope. There were plenty of spineless ones amongst the rank and file.

Tolerate dictators? Well, since we have never had one here, I don't think we have been tested on that one yet. But, we do tolerate a number of them around the world.

The Iraqis don't have what it take? You just might have a point on that one. Considering they have been living with economic sanctions for over a decade, you are right. They don't. They are a beaten down, starved, frightened people. And to overthrow a government, one needs MONEY. Guns and ammo ain't free.

And to be honest, Iraqis are really a FALSE people. Kinda like when we used to call people under the thumb of Moscow, "Soviets". And when the Soviet house of cards came tumbling down, all the various ethnic groups, having had their common enemy destroyed, began to fight amongst themselves and eventually established their own independent countries.

You, we, must not forget that Islam, and what sect a person belongs to, is going to be of great importance of where loyalies are going to lie. Iraq is 60 percent Shiite Muslim. The Shiite have been brutally oppressed during Saddam's regime. And they are desperately thirsty for revenge on the Sunni majority. It is mostly the Shiia that want Saddams ouster. Of course, there's the Kurds that have already been mentioned in this thread.

Back to not having what it takes and not willing to make sacrifices. These are NOT a well fed, well off, American colonists. FYI: The colonists, as a whole, enjoyed a better standard of living than that of their Mother country. Well kept, and fed, they were. Again, the issue was taxes. Plus, there were PLENTY of people that remained loyal to the crown gambling that the Continental Army would never win the war. For many Iraqis, their loved ones ARE JUST about all they have. Would you risk your daughter under those conditions? Think about it.

And when the dust clears........

Oh yeah, when the dust clears. Interesting those days will be. Most people don't realize how much this is going to affect the entire region. Again, these people are religious Muslims with many ancient and tribal ways. With Islam there is not separation of church and state. Sharia is the law. It's going to be very delicate indeed to establish any form of democratic government that can co-exist peacefully with Islam. Especially with the Shiite majority being next door, and possibly feel a strong bond with, to another Shiite majority country: Iran.

Then, there's Saudi Arabia with it's oppressive monarchy and strict adherence to the Sharia. They certainly are NOT going to support any successful democracy in the region. Hence, their own population catches the even the faintest scent of personal freedoms (especially the women) and their control is challenged.

Secretly grateful, yet, spineless? Ouch! Considering the conditions of which these people have lived, "spineless" is hardly the word I would use to describe them.

Andee

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

I bought a bunch of food for the local homeless shelter today, what did you do to help america, besides sit on your ass, and be an armchair politician?

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

*Pats Trauma Hound on the head for being a very noble person.*

I work as a nurses' aide in a metropolitan hospital, helping everybody from AIDS patients to elderly women with hip fractures. If that ain't helping America, I don't know what is.

Which reminds me of something I wanted to tell everybody: If you get old, DON'T go into a home. The worst crap happens there. Better to die free. Really.

CZAR

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    I work as a nurses' aide in a metropolitan hospital, helping everybody from AIDS patients to elderly women with hip fractures. If that ain't helping America, I don't know what is.

I was a CNA about 8 years ago, you get paid for what you do, you aren't volunteering.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    I was a CNA about 8 years ago, you get paid for what you do, you aren't volunteering.

I get paid close to minimum wage, which since I have a four year degree, makes this job like volunteer work. I have done it for the past year because I couldn't join the army and I heard there was a nursing shortage.

You didn't ask if I got paid, you asked what I did to help America. You should know how crappy this job is, and I only stuck with it because I thought I was doing some good.

CZAR

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    I get paid close to minimum wage, which since I have a four year degree, makes this job like volunteer work. I have done it for the past year because I couldn't join the army and I heard there was a nursing shortage.

You didn't ask if I got paid, you asked what I did to help America. You should know how crappy this job is, and I only stuck with it because I thought I was doing some good.

Said nothing about what it paid, I think CNA's should be paid more, why are you working as a CNA if you have a 4 year degree, you don't need one of those to be a CNA.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit