'You didn't fire a warning shot soon enough!'

by William Penwell 148 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

It certainly seems to be a case of over-jumpiness on the part of the troops involved, on Sunday a Brit tank was bombed by an American plane who's pilot didn't recognise the Union Jack flying from the turret.

Englishman.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

You gotta blame someone now dont ya? God Forbid the US should actually take responsibilty fo rthe actions of one their own.

It's one tragedy after another....... awe yes the price you pay for war

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

A Washington Post reporter (and others) were there too. Not just the BBC. You want to confirm that? Be my guest.

The soldiers were from the Army's 3rd Infantry Division, which lost four soldiers Saturday at another checkpoint when an Iraqi soldier posing as a taxi driver detonated a car bomb in a suicide attack. Initial reports indicated the soldiers followed the rules of engagement to protect themselves. (wow, context does wonders)

One account is:

"...soldiers motioned for the driver to stop but were ignored. The soldiers then fired warning shots, which also were ignored. They then shot into the vehicle's engine, but the van continued moving toward the checkpoint, according to the statement."""

Your continuing to paint the US in the worst possible light is very telling. Like vultures, you wait for anything that might work. As you all rely on false assumptions to state your claims, I will wait for the facts to emerge as the investigation continues.......

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think the US troops are really cut out for this kind of duty or for building the bridges required with the local population. Stick them in a battle, preferably miles away from any allies, and let them shoot things up but don't have them dealing with civilians - roadblocks and the like are something that the British have more experience with.

Also, maybe it's the clips we've been shown on TV but the whooping and 'high-fiving' when they hit something contrasts sharply with the british sober and business-like attitude IMHO. The naming of a program to calculate civilian deaths from bombs & missiles "bug splat" shows completely the wrong attitude. We could end up winning all the battles ... and losing the war.

In Basra, the British troops have chose to wear berets instead of helmets so that they look friendlier / less intimidating to the locals. Its a small thing but a start.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""Also, maybe it's the clips we've been shown on TV but the whooping and 'high-fiving' when they hit something contrasts sharply with the british sober and business-like attitude IMHO. ""

The Brits only name their missions after Bond movies........Operation "Goldfinger"?

Remember, who brought and are using Cilvilians in this war?

• Simon
    Simon

ThiChi: Yes, I can see how callnig something 'goldfinger' would alienate the local population

At least we don't give them rediculously self-righteous names like "operation enduring freedom" ... sheesh

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Simon:

I have no problem with it. However, to assert that the Brits are somehow more sober minded as fighters than the US, but the Brits name their missions after a movie (a US production, by the way)...begs the question!

This is operation Iraqi Freedom. Would you feel better if it was named operation "Pussy Galore"?

"I can see how callnig something 'goldfinger' would alienate the local population"

Well James Bond is the symbol of Imperialism, true?

• Xander
    Xander

I think that's the most telling difference in the interviews I've seen (now and earlier).

Brit soldiers seem to view war as a necessary evil to forward national goals.

US soldiers seem to view war as a divine mandate, with god himself standing behind them patting them on the back every time they kill 'the infidel' 'the enemy'.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

What simplistic generalizations.....how absurd can one get?

• Simon
    Simon

To explain the naming:

According to military analysts, the names are designed to confuse the enemy, help soldiers remember the code words and use humour to boost morale.

"I think it's just yet again an exhibition of the British sense of humor", Captain Al Lockwood, the British armed forces spokesman in Qatar, said with a straight face.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12278290,00.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit