Did Jeruselm fall in 587 or 586 BCE?

by Doug Mason 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

MeanMrMustard

The said scholar does not need to know for he is indifferent about the matter.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Finkelstein

Hysterics again. JWs must really worry you and do not worry for I have just returned from the Sunday meeting and am responding to you so as to be entertained.

scholar JW

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Scholar wrote: "So if the tree vision only applies to Nebuchadnezzar then how do you understand the seven times as applied to Nebuchadnezzar?"

It would make no difference. Whatever Daniel understood to be "7 times", whether it be years or months or other, applied solely to Nebuchadnezzar. Any attempt at adding a secondary "greater" application would be forced and unrooted from the passage

• scholar
    scholar

Sanchy

Further, as you are aware of exegesis then please provide an exegesis of Daniel 4:1-37. We have provided a commentary on this chapter with detailed explanations of the tree dream which you claim is eisegesis. Thus if your claim is valid can you explain how exegesis/eisegesis can be applied to the prophetic genre of the OT especially how such can relate to interpreting the book of Daniel?

scholar JW emeritus

• scholar
    scholar

Sanchy

''Put your foot where your mouth is' You are critical of our interpretation but you provide no alternative. What is the meaning of the 'seven times'? Is it literal or figurative?

scholar JW

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JWs must really worry you and do not worry for I have just returned

from the Sunday meeting and am responding to you so as to be entertained.

JWs dont worry me, they annoy me for their blatant ignorance and stupidity though.

Did you tell your elders that you've been talking a lot to Dfed ex-JWS this past week ?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses claim they have a hot line to God via Jesus Christ /F&DS class / Governing Body , but apparently Jehovah has not kept up with information technology developed by imperfect humans to clear up a heap of riddles,ambiguous statements ,contradictions ,etc,etc. to set these matters straight .?

All he`s got to do is tap into our technology to answer these questions .

On the one hand he claims he wants everyone to be saved and on the other hand he talks in riddles that nobody can understand ?

And are left guessing.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Scholar wrote: "Further, as you are aware of exegesis then please provide an exegesis of Daniel 4:1-37. We have provided a commentary on this chapter with detailed explanations of the tree dream which you claim is eisegesis"

I've already mentioned that there is no reason to read into more than is written when it comes to Daniel chapter 4. The interpretation of the vision is clearly outlined by Daniel himself to apply to the king, where the king in fact goes mental for a period of time, then has his cognitive abilities restored, witnessing himself how God has the ability to "humiliate those who are walking in pride".

Any attempt at injecting a second "greater" meaning to the vision of Dan 4 would be textbook eisegesis, as no suggestion whatsoever is even remotely given by Daniel of this vision having any interpretation other than the one he himself gave within that very chapter.

Scholar wrote: "What is the meaning of the 'seven times'? Is it literal or figurative?"

Literal, likely years. This line of questioning adds/removes nothing to the fact that there is no reason to apply more than one interpretation to the contents of Dan 4, as you and Watchtower have done. You have no reason to argue otherwise, and as a supposed "scholar", you should be able to realize this point by applying yourself to reading the chapter without any preconceived biases.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Dear comrade scholar marvelous sharp knowing inspired emeritus,

The said post, by which I mean the post that said you were saying, for which I am saying, unfortunately, because I said, doesn’t make much sense. Therefore, I would like to propose, by saying this about the said post, but not my said post, rather your said post: Meh

• scholar
    scholar

Sanchy

I've already mentioned that there is no reason to read into more than is written when it comes to Daniel chapter 4. The interpretation of the vision is clearly outlined by Daniel himself to apply to the king, where the king in fact goes mental for a period of time, then has his cognitive abilities restored, witnessing himself how God has the ability to "humiliate those who are walking in pride

There is every reason to try to interpret this tree dream rather than trying to read some meaning into it for this dream is about God's kingdom in relation to events around Nebuchadnezzer. So it is not just all about Nebuchadnezzeras you claim.

Any attempt at injecting a second "greater" meaning to the vision of Dan 4 would be textbook eisegesis, as no suggestion whatsoever is even remotely given by Daniel of this vision having any interpretation other than the one he himself gave within that very chapter

There is no need to present eisegesis because exegesis of the chapter clearly presents the subject matter of God's Kingdom at least 8 times or references to it.

Literal, likely years. This line of questioning adds/removes nothing to the fact that there is no reason to apply more than one interpretation to the contents of Dan 4, as you and Watchtower have done. You have no reason to argue otherwise, and as a supposed "scholar", you should be able to realize this point by applying yourself to reading the chapter without any preconceived biases

Well if believe that these are only literal years then can you account for these historically as the Babylonian Chronicles do not present this vacancy of Neb's kingship? And if these also were just 7 literal years then why does the prophecy say seven times rather than 7 years?

scholar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit