Did Jeruselm fall in 587 or 586 BCE?

by Doug Mason 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

joey jojo

You need to commit to a careful use of Exegesis in relation to your interpretation of Jeremiah 25:8-12 for a careful reading of that pericope and surrounding context beginning with verse 1 clearly indicates that the 70 year period was for the Jews and Judah alone with its city and temple to be desolated for 70 years, exiled for 70 years in Babylon and in servitude to Babylon for that same period of 70 years

scholar JW emeritus

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Scholar, I guess you are trolling but Ill bite anyway.

Of course the passage speaks to the Jews primarily but also clearly mentions that other nations, not just the Jews would be affected.

I don't pretend to be an expert, or even a 'scholar', so maybe Ive missed something, but if you could point out which verse in that passage mentions the destruction of the Jewish temple, I would appreciate it.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Scholar,

You write: "The establishment of 539 BCE as the date for the Fall of Babylon and as Pivotal date for the dating of the OT is based on known secular sources and the Biblical record."

Give me the details, including the sources. Which "secular sources" and which "Biblical record"?

The date is calculated from the secular absolute dates which are unacceptable to the WTS and from secular chronologies that are likewise unacceptable to the WTS. Yet the WTS accepts their conclusions.

Doug

• scholar
    scholar

joey jojo

Jeremiah 25 is the major prophecy of desolation of the land of Judah, its city, Jerusalem and Temple along with being brought into Exile and serving Babylon for and at Babylon for 70 years. Daniel 9:2 quoting Jeremiah's prophecy refers to Jerusalem as the city and 2Chron.36:17-19;23 again in context with that same prophecy of Jeremiah refer also to the Temple and its later restoration after the 70 years.

scholar JW emeritus

• scholar
    scholar

Hi Doug

You know full well what are sources secular for establishing 539 BCE for the Fall of babylon as a pivotal date for this well-acknowledged by scholars. Further, the methodology is also well known and is discussed in our publications which you no doubt have or have ready access to our website. The Bible discusses in such books as Daniel. Jeremiah, Isaiah etc the prophecy of Babylon's Fall as well as the history of it.

scholar JW

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

scholar:

You know full well what are sources secular for establishing 539 BCE for the Fall of babylon as a pivotal date for this well-acknowledged by scholars.

Which are the exact same sources that say Nebuchadnezzar came to the throne in 605BC, the battle of Carchemish was fought in 605BC and the siege of Jerusalem in which King Jehoiakim died and King Jeconicah was deported to Babylon occurred in 597BC. The EXACT SAME sources!

Why can’t you state those sources that Watchtower relies upon? Too embarrassing for your position?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Oh lord give me strength, I’ve never had the mental endurance to explore the full depths of stupidity around 607. Remember JWs had 606 as the date at first and later moved it to 607 to fit 1914. Do we need to say any more than that? Plus the First World War started in August 1914 yet JW chronology has the Gentile Times and Satan cast down to the earth weeks after the war began. Has that ever been explained the the WT? Farcical.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

and these form the basis of our wondrous Bible Chronology and this is well verified by the fulfillment prophecy culminating to the year 1914 CE.

So then your not just a novice bible scholar but a lying crook as the rest of the leaders of the WTS are.

You never answered my question if you have some money involvement with the WTS/JWorg. ?

and you never my answered my assessment of apostasy enacted by the leaders of the WTS in their date setting doctrine of 1914 or 1874 for that matter ?

• scholar
    scholar

shepherdless

Indeed those same secular sources are also used to validate 607 BCE for the Fall of Jerusalem because the said scholar has always said that WT Chronology is based not only on the bible but historical and secular evidence. The point of difference is not the sources but the methodology or how such souces are used.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Finkelstein

Just do the research into WT publications and for the answer to the ending of the Gentile Times in 1914CE and you will find the answer.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit