did wt shut doors 9/11?

by topanga 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Celia
    Celia

TheTruth : I hope you will stay around and continue reading the posts on this site. You must be very young....

Here you go again, now bringing up the opposition that JWs encounter.... one after the other, all the tired arguments that all JWs have been inculcated with, opposition, prejudice.... Aren't you prejudiced yourself ? What can be more prejudiced than believing that you and only you have the Truth ?

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

what is the difference in beliefs between 1st centuary christians and JWs?

• TheTRUTH
    TheTRUTH

IN RESPONSE TO THIS--------------:According to your theory the JWs should be well suited to organize aid and deliver aid to the masses without having to worry about their own folks overly benefitting from it...Eh...gimme some proff of JW philanthropy will ya? Sincerely, District Overbeer-----------------THIS MIGHT HELP ANSWER THE QUESTION:-----------Disaster Relief Since World War II, Jehovah's Witnesses have organized relief efforts to help fellow members and others who suffer the effects of war, natural disasters, or other calamities. Their experience in organizing and managing large numbers of people at their Kingdom Hall building projects and annual conventions contributes to their success in this regard. Often they are the first relief agency to appear on the scene. When Hurricane Andrew devastated a Florida, U.S.A., community in 1992, Jehovah's Witnesses quickly organized themselves to deal with the situation. "About 3,000 Witness volunteers from across the country have converged on the disaster area, first to help their own, then to help others," said an article in The Miami Herald. It also stated that "no one in Homestead is slamming doors on the Jehovah's Witnesses this week—even if they still have doors to slam." After the 1995 earthquake in Kobe, Japan, non-Witnesses channeled relief supplies through congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses because this was the fastest way to get supplies to those in need. Following the 1994 tragedy in Rwanda, Witnesses in Belgium, France, and Switzerland contributed more than $1.6 million and sent 35 tons of supplies to both their Christian brothers and others—all within six days of receiving a call for help. Jehovah's Witnesses donate needed materials and volunteer their services without pay. They do so in response to the Bible's commands to love their neighbor and to have intense love for one another.—Matthew 22:39; 1 Peter 4:8.

• ballistic
    ballistic

The truth, I was a pioneer for many years and quoted scriptures as you do, my life goal was to teach people. I changed my beliefs. Why? Am I stupid? Can I rely on anything I am told now? No! I question everything! Don't presume you know it all, it is a very dangerous position.

• TheTRUTH
    TheTRUTH

I LOVE HOW JEHOVAH HELPS IN ALL SITUATIONS. ------------- i am including scriptures in my comments and now there is alot less said. not too many responses. because how can you argue with the bible. - ballistic - would you know what you know now if you would not have been a pioneer?

• ballistic
    ballistic

No - I learnt a hell of a lot, I mean in life even though I have a greater sense of spirituality, and connection with the universe than I ever did with my brief case under my arm.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey theTruth,do you really think having scriptures in your posts is scaring people away?..LOL!..People don`t have all day to spend here. Some have familys they have to attend to. It`s time for dinner here in the Great White North..For others,in their part of the world,it`s almost bedtime.Some are about to wake up because it will soon be morning..Your scriptures scare no one..If you wish to argue scripture,there are people on this board who are expert at it..You had better be dam good in a bible debate,because they are....Personally,I don`t care for bible thumping.I mostly like hanging out with my buds and having a bit of fun with those who would threaten our lives if we don`t join their lying corrupt religion ...OUTLAW

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

Why are you posting here? Are you an active witness? If you are don't you know that your elders could disfellowship you for coming to this website? Go and knock on some doors and spew your bible, you are making me angry .

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* Truth surely you have proof of these thing? And just because JWs are good at organizing things is no indication that they help people...That sounds exactly like something that was printed in a Watchtower or Awake and it probably was troll boy...BTW, I like scriptures too...My favorite is Jeremiah 25:27... oh and the other ones that JWs seem to disregard...Luke 9:49...you know that one? No because it is not emphasized, instead you choose to call other religions evil and insist all their members will die instead of all working toward some kind of common goals for humanity...I almost forgot...if you decided to stay at home and read your bible, even the NW, and develop a personal relationship w/a Christian god the elders would have your head on a silver platter and you know this...Then you would get shunned and probably end up here w/an entirely different tune...Don't try giving me that crap about "let us not forsake gathering together.."...it doesn't say "let us not forsake gathering together in a manmade house of worship called the Kingdom Hall.."...Eh and furthermore, at least the 1st Century Christians didn't need to own half of Brooklyn to prove who they were..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I really hope that TheTruth is correct and JWs are starting to give a little bit back to the community. I believe that there really has been an effort to do better, even if it's just for the good publicity.

When I was a JW from 1967 (baptized) to 1981, it was unheard of to do anything charitable for a community. We even had a sister in 1970 nearly get DF'd for getting caught giving a load of clothes to GoodWill. She was repentant though, so she only got a private reproof (she thought it was only the Salvation Army she couldn't give to). We actually had a talk given on how, in some convoluted manner, the GoodWill Stores were related to the support of a religious charity.

I was in Missouri then, but after a tornado in NE Oklahoma back around 1973 we got some good publicity from a newspaper which said the JWs had really helped the community, but we knew it was only the JWs who really got helped. The only non-JWs who benefited were a couple of unbelieving husbands, but they were ones who had supplied a small bulldozer and a big truck of lumber, and they were doing a lot of the real construction work, while most of the other JWs were just doing cleanup.

Btw, a lot of other religions were credited with helping at Ground Zero. Even the Scientologists were there. If you go in their main "church" on 45th and 8th you'll see that they even put up pictures of how they helped. Religious groups had set up booths all over the area to pray with people and give out tracts, too. There were so many religious people around that I personally thought it was a little annoying. In Ciro's talk he said that Bethel sent some tools over to Ground Zero. That was actually a good move, but real work on Ground Zero was so tightly controlled that I don't really think anyone outside of city workers could do much.

I think they missed their best opportunity to really help, but that's water under the bridge.

Gamaliel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit