Mass disassociation pact...

by freemindfade 312 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

And here's my suggestion for an intro of the letter:

"To whom it may concern:

I’ve been a baptized Jehovah’s Witness for over 99 years. I’m currently an active / an inactive Publisher / Regular Pioneer / Ministerial Servant / Elder / Circuit Overseer / Bethelite, assigned to a congregation in state / country.

This letter is intended to let you know that I no longer wish to be identified as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and therefore I wish to be dissociated from this congregation and its legal entity, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, as well as any of its branches and brands. I can’t tolerate any longer the embarrassment and the mental suffering that comes from being associated with this harmful cult, and these are my reasons: "

(bullet points)

(The BOLD letters are the items that have to be personalized, even for those who wish to remain anonymous.)

Eden

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Its interesting. I like that each one needs to remain personal but be done on a group scale.
  • Petraglyph
    Petraglyph
    EdenOne: I’ve been a baptized Jehovah’s Witness for over 99 years. I’m currently an active / an inactive Publisher / Regular Pioneer / Ministerial Servant / Elder / Circuit Overseer / Bethelite, assigned to a congregation in state / country.

You've got to be careful about encouraging people to be too specific otherwise:

• the elders will quickly narrow down who has sent the letter, and for some people that could be detrimental; or
    • people will choose not to participate.

I'd suggest being completely vague about who you are, but definitely include something about the congregation so they know for sure it's come from someone in the congregation.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Petraglyph

I understand your concern, but there are ways around it.

For example, a Circuit Overseer is simultaneously an Elder, and an Elder is simultaneously a publisher. If you're a CO and you're concerned that the Service Department might narrow down on you too dangerously close, just pick a broader status. Or simply do what THEY normally do: use "theocratic warfare".

What I think is vital is that ONE LETTER = ONE REAL PERSON. No letters in the name of others, and no making of letters of fake people just to inflate numbers.

Anyway, here's another suggestion for the intro paragraph that leaves things more vague:

"I’ve been a baptized Jehovah’s Witness for over 99 years. I’m currently an active / inactive publisher with / without special service privileges, assigned to a congregation in state / country."

Eden

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Somewhere we should dedicate it to those early ones that had courage and paid for it. Ray Franz. Barbara Anderson. We owe them a lot. - Freemindfade

I like this idea. The date should have some meaning as well. I mentioned in an earlier post about those that are no longer here as a result of jw rules. Maybe the date could reflect that?

Here's a thought. Maybe the anniversary of Eric's (Oompa) death? Just putting the thought out there. If its not a good idea, my apologies.

• Zoos
    Zoos
    If you're thinking of a logo I could see a graphics designer playing with the 'ss' and stylising these as 8's.

We we could have a picture of happy ex-JWs skipping about With fruit baskets in the foreground, with a view of Watchtoer HQ burning in the background and regular pioneers with late model 4-door sedans falling into a cravass.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph
    EdenOne: What I think is vital is that ONE LETTER = ONE REAL PERSON. No letters in the name of others, and no making of letters of fake people just to inflate numbers.

Absolutely agree!

I think this is critical otherwise it will just be dismissed as some apostates causing trouble.

I think we are trying to achieve the same outcome and only differ slightly in our suggested approach. I'm saying just to include some local reference so they know it's been sent locally. e.g. reference to a particular brother giving a talk perhaps, just something small and incidental so the elders reading it know it's come from within the congregation, but they have no idea who.

My concern is that if you start adding in any specifics they will be more likely to go on a witch hunt - so my thoughts are, don't put the clues there to encourage them to even begin with.

Zoos: We we could have a picture of happy ex-JWs skipping about and eating fruit in the foreground, with a picture of Watchtoer HQ burning in the background and regular pioneers with late model 4-door sedans falling into a cravass.

LOL There definitely needs to be some fruit :D

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Raymond Franz was disfellowshipped on a November 25th. Why not "JW Insurgency 25/11" ?

Perhaps add a footnote: "Raymond Franz was a former member of the Governing Body of the Jehovah's Witnesses who was disfellowshipped on November, 25h,1981, for the sole 'sin' of holding a different opinion than that of his religious peers. In memory of his plight, we choose to associate this date to our movement."

Eden

• DT
    DT
    I have been following this thread with interest. I'm glad that people seem to like that 8/8 idea.

I have been too busy to do much commenting, but here are a few random thoughts:

1. I hope that 8/8 can be something like an apostate holiday every year. If nothing else, it could be a little less lonely date to disassociate.

2. We need to think about press releases.

3. Even those who were never baptized could send in letters expressing their nonsupport of the organization. They could also ask that any records about them be destroyed.

4. How about hashtags? I started to use #EightEight (It appears that #88 and #8/8 don't function properly as hashtags.) I will try to start following and retweeting people who use #EightEight or similar hashtags.

5. Some might want to post notices in their local paper that they no longer wish to be associated with the JW organization.

6. Some could phone in their disassociation on 8/8 and state that a letter will appear shortly.

7. I believe that the Ex-Mormons have done some group resignations. That could be worth researching further.

8. That's it, for now, but I thought there should be eight items on this list.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Another twist on this would be for Disfellowshipped individuals to reaffirm their disfellowhippment by sending a Thank You card or letter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit