Masks Are Coming Off

by minimus 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Justmemorph
    Justmemorph

Ghost, you are missing the point. The argument on effectiveness is secondary to the real issue, freedom. In china, hong kong, Britain or any other authoritarian country, being mandated to do something is the norm. Thats not how we, as society in the united states, have traditionally lived. Land of the free, home of the brave. Dangerous freedom over peaceful security.

I dont care one bit if a mask is 99% effective or 2% effective, if you want to wear one (or two or three) masks, knock yourself out, but f off with telling me what to do. Educate, inform, plead if you want, but mandates dont fly here.

Its sad that we are changing and more and more weak minded pukes from other counties have slowly diluted that independent and rugged nature so that now crap like seat belt laws exist and progressively more babysitter minded government shite continues to infringe, but for now at least a narrow majority here still value the freedom to dare to be independent even if we are wrong.

• badcompany
    badcompany

Justmemorph,

Couldn't agree more. It's about freedom. The rona is being used to destroy freedom. Of business, of people, of nations.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    f off with telling me what to do

But government tells you what to do all the time.

Governments.....um....govern.

The government tells you that you can't murder other people, it tells you that you can't sell rotten food to the public, it tells you you can't start fires on someone else's property (and it provides you with a fire department in case someone does it anyway)...

Protecting the health of its constituents is a legitimate function of government. You can't "pursue happiness" and enjoy liberty if you're dead or on a ventilator.

If there is a once-a-century pandemic that can potentially kill millions if ignored, and the government says "hey, you know, maybe not quite so many hundreds of thousands have to die if we mandate that you take this painless, mildly inconvenient step"....I'm OK with that.

Commence with the "slippery slope" arguments if you please, but that's the way I see it.

• Justmemorph
    Justmemorph

And thats the problem, in a nutshell.

You really believe that you need a “government” to tell you not to murder.

You really believe that you need a “government” to prevent YOU from buying rotten fruit.

You believe that you need the “government” to put out fires.

it says a lot about how useless you are in your own mind. I think you, and people in general, are capable of better than even you think of yourself. I assure you the “government” is no more capable of putting out a fire than it is of stopping a virus.

The government which governs best governs least.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Ghost: In the US firefighters and ambulances are not federally regulated. Typically they are not ran by any government, in few places where it is, you get issues like NYC and other cities where EMT's are uncoordinated, charge extraordinarily high rates and have to wait in line up to 30 minutes to bring in their patients to government-ran hospitals.

Privately owned public hospitals, volunteer and professional ambulances and firefighters in the US that are independent from government oversight are the reason we have some of the best equipped systems with the best response times in the world, helicopters, designated ambulances specially equipped for stroke and heart attack.

Sure it's "expensive", but the combination of insurance and taxes in the US is still lower compared to the taxes you'll pay in places like Europe.

• Justmemorph
    Justmemorph

Nothing ever gets less expensive when the government is involved. Nothing gets more efficient when the government is involved.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

All these stupid analogies like locking doors are Apples and Oranges. A surgeon will wear a mask for two reasons. To stop splash of body fluids from hitting him in the nose and mouth and to stop water or body fluids from dripping or falling into an open wound. Masks do not stop something so small as a virus. This is just how dumb most people are. https://youtu.be/oLdk2C25Z14

• mickbobcat
  • jhine
    jhine

Actually a lot of people need a government to tell them not to murder or steal or rape .

If you are burgled or one of your loved ones is murdered who do you expect to get justice? The justice system using the laws that the government made .

If someone wants to risk their own life , well , but do you have the right to risk someone else's?

Freedom brings responsibility .

An ancient Greek bloke said that the measure of how civilised a society is is how well it looks after its weakest members.

I am not so likely to die from covid but my 85 year old neighbour or the young disabled person in the next road is .

I do not want to be responsible for their deaths. I prefer to live in a civilised society .

Jan

• Justmemorph
    Justmemorph

Well Jan, i’ll let you think for a little while on the “how” you would get justice if you were robbed, and on what “justice” is and how best “justice is served.

As for you neighbor, how has the “government” specifically saved her from covid? Does she bear any responsibility herself for her own wellbeing? Can she exercise that responsibility on her own or does the “government” have to make her? Should the government make her? Is the “government” who we really want telling us as individuals whats good for us?

Before you answer please be sure to pay your taxes so my internet works. No government = no internet... right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit