Masks Are Coming Off

by minimus 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

minimus:

Biden thinks these governors are idiots

The same Biden who took his mask down to cough into his hand on at least one occasion, and wears double-masks against CDC recommendations? I can't help thinking all US politicians are idiots.

Wearing a mask is generally more effective at stopping the wearer from infecting others rather than protecting the wearer from infection. If it's likely that you're infectious, or you're likely to be in a confined space with people who may be infectious, it certainly wouldn't do any harm to wear a mask. If you're elderly or immuno-suppressed, probably also consider wearing a mask as a precaution. Otherwise, you'll probably be fine without one while going about general activities. But if it's mandated by law where you live, consider wearing one unless you're an attention-seeking trouble-maker.

It is quite odd that the US in particular is so split down partisan lines regarding wearing a mask as if it's such a momentous burden. Strange strange place.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@jeffro: the problem is exactly the mandates, government telling you what to do and what to wear isn’t healthy.

Masks (N95) do indeed protect YOU from being sick. If you are sick, sneezing in a mask - with the big caveat being it needs to be worn correctly - prevents you from ejecting your droplets further but it doesn’t stop you completely from spreading.

Most people don’t know how to wear a mask correctly, it takes medical students 6 months-1 year to learn how to properly don both N95 (to protect themselves) and surgical masks (to protect others). The majority of people I see do not wear correctly, most people take their mask off to sneeze, scratch their nose etc which makes the mask counter-effective and the data bears this out.

All the tests on mask wearing preventing the spread were done with aerosols, when real world tests were conducted, masks had virtually no effect on particle spread. All the data shows that locked down systems with strict mandates across the world have higher spread and death rates. Compare California, NY and NJ with Florida which never had a mandate; likewise compare Texas pre- and post-mandate, government interference (as usual) makes things worse.

The problem is through the unscientific mandates, mask wearing has become a religious practice, if you’re woke enough you even do it while driving in your car and when you’re at home (yes, that’s a thing). But for the population, it’s a form of government control as it is scientifically proven to be counter effective.

• jhine
    jhine

Bad , l don't know what Chicoms are but you seem to be looking at this as something purely American. In.GB we have a Conservative govt. and they are saying the same things as governments of any persuasion all over the world.

Are you saying that every govt. everywhere including Communist , fascist and liberal parties are all in cahoots over this . Also our NHS is lying to us about it . I find that harder to believe than Covid actually exists and is killing hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. Independent charities would all have to be in on the plot as well .

Jan

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Anony Mous:

the problem is exactly the mandates, government telling you what to do and what to wear isn’t healthy
    It does seem to be the case that in the US in particular, a section of the community is overly focused on wearing masks, with, as you say, some people even wearing them alone in their homes or cars (though in at least some cases this could simply be because they find it easier to put it on before they start their journey rather than later in their commute). Equally neurotic are the people who act almost as though wearing a mask at the direction of health authorities is a slippery slope toward the government enforcing mandatory sex changes (this is intentional reductio ad absurdum though there are probably some who consider it a real risk). Once again, the US seems to be a strange strange place.

A mask that even reduces risk of infection rather than stopping it entirely is better than nothing, particularly for those at higher risk or those who having close contact with such people. But if you’re in an area where there are no cases and no untested new arrivals, there is little point wearing a mask.

Anyone claiming that health authorities recommending or requiring masks is solely some government conspiracy to control people rather than an effort at containing a pandemic is straying into tinfoil hat territory though. I would certainly put a higher degree of trust in health authorities (who may not get absolutely everything right) than on random conspiracy nutters online.

• minimus
    minimus

Jeff, the government would never try to control people.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Minimus:

Jeff, the government would never try to control people

Sure, because if I don’t think Covid is a conspiracy, that ‘obviously’ means I think all governments are fluffy bunnies with my best interests at heart. 🤦‍♂️

• minimus
    minimus

I don’t think Covid is a conspiracy. And I still feel the government tries to control people.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Obviously. All governments control people to some extent. It’s in the name. If governments had no control at all, you may find you do not like the alternative.
  • Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

One wonders of these Governors are doing this as a politcal ploy to gain public support ?

The fall out has the potential to go in the opposite direction if the virus spreads in these States.

• Justmemorph
    Justmemorph

I promise i would love the alternative. Thats just threatening me with a holiday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit