Did You Care About The Royal Wedding?

by minimus 63 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

I don't "care" in the sense that it affects me, but it was interesting from a human perspective. I got a genuine chuckle when the Chicago preacher starting rhyming.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I don't really "care" personally and thought I wasn't going to be bothered to watch. But Friday as the broadcasts began I got sucked in and enjoyed it very much. I guess after a whole life of "no tradition," I find like to see it now, and without all that JW judgement about how bad it is...because it isn't.

It was really beautiful and well done, and I am a sucker for the fashion. I am mixed on the American preacher's sermon, it sounded naive to me with all that is going on in the world. Just me. The love message is always good, especially for the couple as they start their life together. And maybe people will think about it. But when you have a group at war with western life and are aiming to destroy it, it sounds naive to me. But it was good as it made it truly their ceremony and that is what it is all about.

I had a friend that was enamored with the monarchy. When the queen came to LA in 1983, we came to see the plane that landed in our little tiny local airport and we saw the limos drive out and maybe caught a glimpse of her. It was pouring rain. I did it for him, but here I am so many years later with a fond memory. He collected souvenirs of Charles and Di. He has since passed, but can't help think how jazzed he would have been to see this wedding of Prince Harry.

• humbled
    humbled

Good for you, Dagney. And so we saved ourselves while the cult sucked away at our simple joys and friendships.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If it was big in the U S , it was huge here. As if I should care.... I have no Ill will toward them but nothing to do me.

Of course I watched it , as a National event and spectacle.

I loved the American Bishop. He spoke from the heart with passio ( they could do with some of that at the Kingdom Hall) Also I liked the choir singing ‘ Stand By Me” If that is what she brings us, let’s have more of it. A lot of Brits didn’t like it though

Thank goodness it is over now. How long do you think this marriage will last?

• Rather Be the Hammer
    Rather Be the Hammer

I don't watch television a lot but royal weddings... always! I remember Charles and Diana's...we didn't even have television, but i watched it at my grandmother's house. And Andrew and Sarah...

I think it's a little magic...like a Disney movie...the idea that an ordinary girl can marry a real prince someday (Okay my chances might be non-existent now, but who cares. LOL)

Fairytales do exist, even when paradise doesn't. Love it!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's a thought that occurs ...

Since Brexit, trendy MPs and journalists have been falling over themselves to say that racist attacks have been on the rise since the referendum result and that these attacks are somehow connected to Brexit, i.e. 'Brexit has emboldened racists'.

If that is true, why have millions of British people taken a woman of colour (mixed race) to their collective hearts?

I'm white and not really big on the monarchy but I'm perfectly happy having a brown-skinned Duchess of Sussex.

Where were the millions of hardcore racists protesting that black blood will dilute our white Royal family?

• pbrow
    pbrow

I was under the impression that the top 1% who ostentatiously pay $150,000 for a wedding dress, build 8 foot cakes and get their money from mommy and daddy are to be despised.

Boy was I wrong.

I wish the couple well but the sins of the monarchy are about as long or longer then the sins of religion.

Can you be a social justice warrior and still be enamored with the Royals?

pbrow

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Can you be a social justice warrior and still be enamored with the Royals? - no, I don't think so.

Unless the Royalty in question is African ... I've yet to observe trendy SJWs stick their pink noses into African issues and criticise African royalty.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Did You Care About The Royal Wedding?

Not in the slightest. I'll shut up before I say too much and hurt tender feelings.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Perhaps Harry, a member of the normally exclusive monarchy, marrying a common American, resulted in larger than usual interest by US residents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit