YELLOW RIBBON : Show your support!

by email 118 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I find it strange that this thread is what put you over the top, and not any of the insults by those who disagree with the war.

It’s not about rather or not you agree with the war or not Simon, these men and women that fight for us so we can live in some measure of freedom deserve our respect if not our support.

You seem to be implying that me not wanting to have the board degenerate into some pro & anti battleground somehow means that I am unsupportive of the troops?

This is a misrepresentation.

Also, you are implying that I am somehow clamping down on pro-war stuff as opposed to anti-war stuff. Again, this is not true. I am being fair and saying that neither side can pepper the board with any logos, banners or whatever in every post. Plain and simple.

Would you be happy to see repeated logos on posts that were 'anti' war? I think not.

About the only thing that I am against is rhetoric. That is, making (or shouting) statements (supporting either side) which is just stating a position. No discussion. No explanation. This is not what a discussion board is for IMHO. I'm happy for people to debate and discuss things but if people start posting what are just announcements of their standpoint with no real substance then we kind of lose the plat a little ... we may as well all just get megaphones and shout things at each other.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    He has done a GREAT job with this board

Yes, he has.

Thank you, Simon.

Beryl

• berylblue
    berylblue
    Unfortunately Manchester United are now top of the league

Yes, unfortunately.

My second husband was a Yorkshireman originally from Liverpool.

He loathed Man U.

Beryl

Wait...check that. If he hated them.....woo hoo! Glad they're on top.

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey
    Would you be happy to see repeated logos on posts that were 'anti' war? I think not.

Simon I have never fought with anyone here that I can remember, so you should know I’m not trying to start trouble. You keep saying that I seem to be implying things, but Simon you are the one who keeps implying that the yellow ribbon means to support the war.

• Simon
    Simon

I did put up a topic saying that I thought it was possible to support the troops while opposing the war ... and kinda got shot down.

I presume then that people do equate the two and this would lead to the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid. I just don't think it's the right place and would lead to more trouble and unpleasantness and people falling out which is what I don't want to see happen.

• Valis
    Valis

Really Simon...the image is fairly small and I don't think it could possibly take up much space..first off.

As far a the yellow ribbon being pro war I don't think so either...Support for troops is important and this can't be discounted...even the anti war folks (Well most anyway...some decide its more important to make purile comments about individual soldiers, but that is a clear lack of self control and respect for one's friends)..agree that supporting the troops is not the same as being pro-war...perhaps you could allow us this one gesture of support for the very real humans that are living and dying in defense of more general ideals that surround a democratic life that you and I enjoy every day. You know it won't be that long before that goes away and we're on to the next issue. So, maybe this one allowance?...oh and I still want to be in charge of interrigations in your virtual interrment camp...

Sinceramente,

Cerveza Excesiva del Districto

• Simon
    Simon

I'm sorry, I do understand the point you are making and they are fair points but I just think it would be impossible if I 'allowed' this to ever draw the line on anything else. Where would it stop? What would I have to allow from others to be fair? Would I allow people to put things saying they didn't support the troops? Would this upset people? Would some want to start putting political statements on every post etc ... I can just see the whole thing becoming a nightmare.

As an example, suppose instead of having the link on each post that I decided to put the ribbon on the site (at the top of the pages). Should I then put one next to it saying that we shouldn't support the troops? Woudln't this be rediculous and meaningless? The point is, it would only mean something if I allowed one and not the other which would mean being unfair and biased and causing more accusations of being one-sided.

I hope you can see the difficulty and why I don't think it's a good idea. Not because I am against people expressing support for the troops as I myself do, but because of the problems it would cause compared to the good it would do. If people really want to send expressions of support then there are much better and more direct ways to do it (which have already been posted "Message to the troops" or something similar).

• berten
    berten

Why should we support troops who are armed and trained to kill in a war,

when we do not agree with waging that war?

• mouthy
    mouthy

And so the fights start.....I will not put up a yellow ribbon... I will pray for us ALL & troops every where to realize killing each other is not the answer to peace. I will continue to sit & cry when I see the bombs falling on innocent folks-been there done that- hearing that folks on all sides are dying. Americans ,British ,Canadians ,Iraq's the list goes on & on.....Although many Candians were killed by friendly fire ??? what ever that is...?? I believe that is what this war is about Friendly fire!! it is being done to liberate Right???.So we are really Iraq's friends....

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

This was an excellent idea! The protesters get to express thier hate for our government and soldiers but we can't express our support with a yellow ribbon?....typical.How can a good thing be bad? The "impeach Bush" thing has been up for months now....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit