Is this a place for children?

by xenawarrior 188 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

yes, having them post on the main forum and trying to maintain two sets of 'standards' would be impossible:

Would their posting on a topic suddenly change the rules on that topic (for instance)?

For real minors (the 10-12ish year olds) I would suggest that people hook-up with others that they have got to know and trust with kids of similar age and let them be pen-pals (supervised). Older kids may join in on the forum at their parents discretion and I hope people would take into account their age when responding to them but we can't really garantee that there will always be ideal topics for children.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

I made a long post, but there was a server problem when I sent it. So I am starting over...this post is more of a rough draft that I wish it would be, so chill out, OK?

*Sigh* People, the topic is making this place a safe place for children.

Basically, folks, I stated that I wish nudists would wear clothes instead of banning children from the neighbourhood. Take it or leave it. It was on topic, and I provided many practical suggestions to make this site and chat safe for children. I did not list any nudists, and I was thinking of at least 3. The list of people who make chat rough is longer, but not all of them commented on this thread. Others have decided to divert this thread off topic and then blame me.

I find it telling that people suddenly had a list in their minds. Maybe several people need to change their behaviour.

LB, I did not accuse anyone directly in this thread, as I have a list. You said accused XW, and I did not. Nice try at a low blow.

Nice try, Valis. I wondered when you would chime in.

Nor did I accuse Scootergirl of anything. I have only seen Scootergirl be nice to people. I haven't seen her do anything that I would consider abusive. I cannot comment on the UR/Scootergirl issue, as I wasn't there.

And the Puppet Master is not Simon. Yeesh. How silly is that? The opposite is very provable. Simon has been very responsible.

Simon, if you wish, I can show you in a private email where predators are allowed to use this site to abuse others offsite. You were deceived, and not by me. I know you would never deliberately allow such a policy, though you might feel your hands are tied with this one. Still, the current policies are being abused, and you are being tricked about it.

Also, Simon, I resent how I cannot make a straightforward comment on this site without a certain group hijacking the thread with insults and accusations about me. If my post caused such a fuss, then maybe many people here need to quit being abusive in chat. Or maybe chat should be shut down. It sounds like the list of abusive people is longer than I thought. There are private chat rooms springing up, and if people want to be rough they can go to them. You have the final say about the chat room, Simon, but I personally would like chat to be a safe haven for all. People can disagree with my opinion. But they can also leave me the hell alone too. I don't need to be hunted down and worry about every comment I make on this board.

Simon, people are being abused in chat. They discuss it with me in private, and I have asked them to stay. Sometimes, like when I am dumped on here, I wonder why.

When people have to ask me to check if chat is safe for them to enter, and when I have to monitor chat to make sure they are not being abused, things need to improve. I find it interesting that some of the ones who are crying the loudest about my post are amoungst the most abusive in chat.

UR and Xandria are not the only ones considering leaving. Until this thread, I did not know they wanted to leave too. I know a few others. This place has become very unpleasant to be in. I have ask the ones I know about to stay.

In another thread, Robdar complained of abuse by one of the abusive group, and the group leapt on her and implied that she was the abusive one. It was to the point that people begged them to get on topic. They are trying the same gimmick here.

Sloan, I will bet you had a conversation with someone about my original post between the time I posted it and the time you replied to it. And I bet I know with whom. And I expected you to say that you are an adult and that you make up your own mind. I know how that con works, because I was a victum of the same con. Sloan, I have nothing against you; you were set up by an expert. That is how the con artist works; it is called plausible deniability. When that person is done with you and discards you, you will feel very used.

Someone implied that I post adult material here and so am a hypocrite. Valid point, and I shall attempt to tone down some of my posts. I won't promise to be perfect; I am as human as anyone else.

So now, LB, Valis, etc....can we get back to the topic at hand?

Richard

• Simon
    Simon

Just to remind people:

The chat does get logged but I do not have the time or inclination to go through it as a matter of course. The only time I know there is a proble is if people tell me. If you do want to report a problem in chat though, do not expect much of a response if you just say "so-and-so attacked me in chat, please sort it out" ... you need to provide a date and time for me to investigate things. Also, I'll take a dim view of anyone who waste my time (ie. claims to have been attacked and it turns out that people were being attacked by them first and just responded)

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Simon, I still getting used to the Reply feature. Please see my reply to Sloan, posted a few mins ago.

Do you wish to discuss somethings in private? That would allow this thread to stay on topic. All I ask is that everyone else drop the accusations and stay on topic.

Simon, would you like me to present proof and a layout of some of the "utter nonesense" that you believe I have posted? To put it in this thread would be off topic, and people are trying to make it appear than I have hijacked the thread so that they can get me banned.

Richard

• LB
    LB
    LB, I did not accuse anyone directly in this thread, as I have a list. You said accused XW, and I did not. Nice try at a low blow.

I accussed her? Good grief. All of us who have been around here for awhile know exactly who you were talking about. Do you really believe what you say here? I mean honestly? And to think that you can state that I'm the one that attacked XW? Hell no, I'm attacking YOU

We have gotten back to the topic at hand, in case you didn't notice. We also responded to your stupid attacks Richard. Did you notice how many people called you on this? You hijacked the thread when you called this unnamed a predetor, abusive and I forget what else now. Give me a break. Right now Richard I think less of you than Trauma does George Bush.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Skeptic, you are saying that you are here to talk about , is this a place for children? but you only use one or two sentences about that topic, the topic at hand here.

The rest of you second to last post is about ADULTS who are coming to you to check out the chat room to see if it is ok by you to go in there and that you have to monitor that it is safe for them? Did I understand that right? You are saying you have ADULTS who are asking you to go into chat and see if it is safe for them to enter?

You have by this second to last post changed the topic from the children, to adult who feel they are abused in chat. This is a whole different can of worms. Children are to be protected and that is the issue. I dont think the issue is ADULTS who feel they are being abused in chat at all. Sure it may happen, and it may be a problem for some. But really if you can't handle the heat in the chat why would you even want to go in there. No one is forcing an adult to make an appearnace in chat. I know some adults who come and go just to say hi and find they don't like chat very much.

Seems to me you are saying you are having people come to you complaining that they are abused in chat and they are depending on you to check it out to make sure it is safe for them. THis seems silly to me.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Simon:

Please check your private messages.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

I accussed her? Good grief. All of us who have been around here for awhile know exactly who you were talking about.

Well this misunderstanding is caused by a typo. I meant to type "You said I accused XW, and I did not." The "I" got missed somehow. Is there an edit feature on this forum? It looks like some can edit their replies.

Do you really believe what you say here? I mean honestly?

Yes. And as I have said, I have a list, which I see no need to type.

And to think that you can state that I'm the one that attacked XW? Hell no, I'm attacking YOU

LOL! Now that that is clear...

We have gotten back to the topic at hand, in case you didn't notice.
    Yes, I did. After, I clicked the Submit button. I originally made a long and well-thought out post. When I submitted it, I got a server error and had to retype. I did the second post in a hurry. But by the time I hit the Submit button had been pressed again, several posts had been added.
    You hijacked the thread when you called this unnamed a predetor, abusive and I forget what else now.
    I did not hijack the thread. I stated my opinion, which was directly on topic. Others chose to hijack the thread and throw it off topic. They chose to name names and make it personal. But things are on track and back to the original topic now, as it should be.
    Give me a break. Right now Richard I think less of you than Trauma does George Bush.

LOL! Seeing as I know what Trauma thinks of George Bush, your opinion of me must be low!

Richard
  • LB
    LB
    Simon, would you like me to present proof and a layout of some of the "utter nonesense" that you believe I have posted

OK, some of the utter nonsense for you. You are the one that hijacked the thread, yet accused others of doing so. You are the one that called a certain unamed person names, yet accussed others of doing so and you are the one that suggested there are behind the scenes people that are puppet masters and of course also suggesting that Simon is the puppet.

Are you dense???

Seems to me you are saying you are having people come to you complaining that they are abused in chat and they are depending on you to check it out to make sure it is safe for them. THis seems silly to me.
    Yeah, I believe that too. If it weren't so sad it would be funny.
  • basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

Utopian Raindrops,I have just come across this thread and read your first response. I scanned some of the others only, so forgive me if I repeat what has already been said. From your comments, I percieve that you are a very caring thoughtful mother. I can identify with many of the things that you are saying and I'm sorry that you've been given a hard time here.

Thought that I might add that this site in particular has been an enormous help to me and my teenage daughters. They do not frequent here on a regular basis, nor do they come here alone. But together we read posts that we can laugh at or identify with. I sometimes pick out certain ones that I feel we share something in common with. All of this gave us a sense of validity as we were on our way out of the organisation.

For the many people that suffer almost complete isolation during their exit, I believe that what you are doing is an excellent antidote. Hearing about others experiences was part of the healing process for me and mine.

Bay64me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit