Is this a place for children?

by xenawarrior 188 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

My 2 cents..First, I would let my children, at an appropriate age, come here and see much of what is posted. I'm afraid both of them would be ultimately bored with much of it and quickly go back to barbie.com or pbs.org....or by then I'm sure some teen idol fan site or some such blather...well chat is another story...it is perfectly reasonable that toning down when a KNOWN child enters, but here's the problem...what is adult talk or content is happening in chat and suddenly the hapless, yeah right kids know more cuss words than I do, young one comes into chat...well, OK we stop, but some of that chat session remains...hrrrmmm...what to do? Surely the astute young one knows how to scroll and view previous text..no so simple an issue now huh? 'cover your eyes till this scrolls away sweetie..."...uh yeah right!

For as much support goes on in threads, there is also a lot of that happening in chat mixed w/adult conversation as well. Kind of like the chat being where we can let loose a bit and not have the worrisome concept of someone getting "offended" by our words that disappear in a stream of text, instead of being there in a thread for Dog, jebus, and your grandma to have a gander at for an eternity. I don't have any problem w/a child of 12 or 14 being in chat as long as we know they are under age and have the chance to moderate ourselves, although I think unrestricted visits to the chat room might not be such a good idea...If the parent and child can be there together then this is the optimum solution...so everyone knows...Kind of like not dropping your kid off at the local pub for a round w/the boys..well, without you anyway...*LOL* dam beer drinking kids!

People have misunderstanding and then get their panties in a wad and feel "hurt" beyond normal adult reasoning...this gets really boring and is done many times for no other reason than to get attention, or sensationalize a very small matter indeed. As far as slamming xw and scooter or anyone else for that matter...it aint necessary, especially after something as trivial as a few minced words between users...Both of them are excellent mothers, to which I can attest most definitely. Nice try Septic...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• scootergirl
    scootergirl
    As far as slamming xw and scooter or anyone else for that matter...it aint necessary, especially after something as trivial as a few minced words between users...Both of them are excellent mothers, to which I can attest most definitely.

Valis........thank you.

BTW.........for those who think that this "should" be a family site, it is very interesting.....when your past posts/threads have been pulled up.......funny, hmmm......not all were "family content'. Very interesting.......maybe we should shed the hat of hypocrisy and practice what we preach.

Christy of the "not all of her posts are suitable for children"

• LB
    LB
    I find it very interesting that some of the ones loudly calling for the safety of children in chat and on this site are some of the most abusive and predatory ones in chat and are using this site as a launching point to prey on others offsite. The hyprocrisy is incredible.

Skeptic many of us here recall your attack on XW several months ago, where you told everyone how she "played" you. You got nailed and exposed yourself as a liar back then. Now you're doing it again. Revenge for looking the fool in round one?

Then you accuse Sloan of trying to hijack this thread while this is exactly what you are doing?

Your BS act doesn't cut it my friend. I suggest you back off now. All that was started here was concern about young people her on this site. You in turn called her a hypocrit. Nice touch, always the gentleman aren't you?

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    I haven't been around the board much for the past few weeks, but even I knew who you were referring to in your original post. I find that your suggestion that someone put Sloan up to pointing this out rather sad, when I saw the same thing, and no one has suggested anything to me.

Firstly, don't forget that many of my points were to give suggestions on how to use technology to reduce the "danger" to children.

I did point out the obvious hyprocisy. Prisca, I was not referring to a specific individual. More like a list. I think that was clear from my post. But that detracts from my point. The same individuals who are crying out for the well being of children because of the sometimes rough nature of chat, are the same individuals who make chat rough! When they are not around, chat is a very pleasant place to be. And yeah, when they behave themselves, chat is a nice place with them in it too. People have commented on the difference.

It is like a nudist complaining that their children might see them naked, so they ban children from their neighbourhood. I am suggesting that the alternative might be for them to wear some clothes!

It doesn't take a great deal of computer knowledge to find that Sloan had an "offsite" conversation with a certain someone at a certain time. I even know the nature of the conversation. Sloan was set up, and doesn't even know it. I don't know Sloan, but from the little I have seen, Sloan is OK. I really don't know Sloan at all.

I'm sorry that you've been hurt in the past by certain posters, but it's time to clean your wounds and move on.

Prisca, your words mean a lot to me because you have been falsely accused of being vile on and offsite much as I have been. My reply when I hear that is that I surprised as I have only seen you be nice. Yeah, you can be nasty when provoked, but it is always justified. I'd like to say that I know you are a nice person, and have never seen you be otherwise. Not to mention that you are one of the very intelligent and fair ones. Plus, you have always been good to me, even when most on this board hated my guts. I admire your objectivity.

It is funny that you say that I should lick my wounds and move on. It is funny because those individuals haven't. I am always friendly to them in chat, and they completely ignore me except to be rude on occasion. So it is obvious who has not moved on.

The false accusations of me being a predator are still floating around, both on and offsite, and I know who the Puppet Master is behind the scenes. The forum rules specifically allow people to use this site as a launching point for offsite abuse. One of the abusive ones pulled a major con job to get that one into the forum rules, but I don't make the rules.

Most importantly, at least 4 others have been badly abused by them besides me. What happened to me seems to have encouraged them, as the abuse of the others happened after they abused me. What happened to me is not that important as I was able to turn a bad negative into a great positive. What concerns me is that the abuse is continuing, and they are getting bolder.

When I am asked to go into chat and make sure it is safe for others, chat is in a very sad state. When I have to monitor chat to make sure certain people are not going to abuse certain other people, chat is in a very sad state.

Now the abusive ones are saying that chat is too rough for children. Well, it isn't when those same people are not in chat! Chat is very pleasant at those times, and not rough at all. So, gee, maybe if those ones who are so "concerned" about children could show it by making chat a pleasant place period. Then maybe they would not be "concerned" about chat being too rough on children. There are other JW sites that they can do the rough stuff on, as these sites are unmoderated and warnings are given. I think Simon's site should be "family friendly".

Well, you told me to move on, and I am as best that I can. The payoff is huge. When certain ones were working hard to ban me from this site, I had a back up plan in place in the real world. The back up has paid off in all the ways that people were trying to hurt me on this site. My friendships, my romantic life, and my career are doing better than they have in the last year and a half, and the future looks even brighter. On top of that, I received two very good pieces of news yesterday. I am still on the "high" from the excitement.

Now, I think this dead horse has been beaten enough. The focus of this thread is about children coming here. I have stated my opinion, and it is as valid, or invalid, as everyone else's here. A gimmick of the abusive ones is to hijack threads and then blame me for it. I am trying to not let that happen.

Richard

• Xandria
    Xandria

Sometimes, solace comes in many forms. Like just being part of something. It is apparent she was feeling isolated and alone. You are assuming that there was not some need there. She may of not came right out and announced HEY ... xyz. But just by being there she was expressing some sort of need. Just because you don't see, the issue doesn't mean it is not there.

Utopian stated that she had lost her entire peer basis, and that she only has her family group. She apparently was trying to reach out just by being part of something. Let's remember she is a child still and may not know how to approach certain subjects and feelings. Does it hurt anyone to be a little nice to someone who was clearly looking for contact and attention ? Let's think about it ... simple deduction.

I may of not been there. But I have read the posts and it is clear to me. Food for thought here folks..think about a place for our children, do they deserve anything less ? They are affected by what happens around them, just like us. In the frevor of discussing should a child be here we forget, they need somewhere. Just plain common sense here.. it would not have harmed anyone to spare a few minutes.

Scooter,let me see if I am understanding you right. You are telling me a child has to request to have what should of been freely given ? Attention is free. Perhaps, all she needed was the warm glow of human conversation. I cannot believe you of all people, Scooter did not pick up on that, usually you are intuitive about these issues. All that was picked up upon was that she should not have been here.

I would hope you would consider this. What if your child came online and needed just to be acknowledged and included. Again you never know what is going on in someone else's life and what is affecting them on the other side of the monitor. A child comes online, into chat.. that is not a everyday event. What if it was your child and he or she was treated thusly.. how would you feel. Let's stop and walk a mile in those shoes. Does your child tell you everything that is bothering them ? Sometimes just hanging with the adults helps and it leaves the door open for converstation. There may of been something that could of been voiced if given a chance. But I don't think she was made to feel welcome. Pre- Teenagers and Teenagers are not the most forth coming in discussing what is going in thier lives. Sometimes they cannot go to their parent or feel uncomfortable bring stuff up. Are we so busy and close minded not to be open to a child's needs ? Voiced or not.

Do you tell everyone what is going on in your life and go into every detail ? Just to hang out with friends.

All I am asking is to consider all this, it is food for thought here. Besides it was a questioned posed I am responding. Is this a place for Children?

People, try not to assume what happened or what was talked about if you weren't in the chat room at that particular time.

Why not, you assumed that this child did not have a reason to be there. This is an exact reason we need to consider a place for children to interact. Because it is very clear.. this child was not very well recieved. I understand the mother side of all this. An what is appropriate and not for a child. But none the less, we are missing the bigger picture here.

I don't need to assume anything. It is very clear by the postings on this thread what happened.

Now it is not my intention to make you feel attacked or belittled. But the facts are clear.. we are not considering a child's need for interaction. Each situation is unique. A place for them may give them a way to interact and deal with some issues they may have.

Children are part of the Apostofests.. and then they fall asleep. Many Apostofests are toned down in regards to the children. Then there are the ones sans children. Same principal. Simple as that.

Xandria

• LB
    LB
    A gimmick of the abusive ones is to hijack threads and then blame me for it. I am trying to not let that happen.

My God man, what color is the sky in your world? YOU are the one that hyjacked it with a personal attack.

• Simon
    Simon
    The false accusations of me being a predator are still floating around, both on and offsite, and I know who the Puppet Master is behind the scenes. The forum rules specifically allow people to use this site as a launching point for offsite abuse. One of the abusive ones pulled a major con job to get that one into the forum rules, but I don't make the rules.

No, you don't make the rules. I do, and no one else. The rules are there to prevent people launching abuse such as the threads you yourself started.

What you have said here is utter hogwash and just detracts from the topic of this thread.

• LB
    LB

Simon I'm glad you've spotted this thread. I hope you'll note that while complaining about how he is treated Richard made this statement

I find it very interesting that some of the ones loudly calling for the safety of children in chat and on this site are some of the most abusive and predatory ones in chat and are using this site as a launching point to prey on others offsite. The hyprocrisy is incredible

So while complaining about being called a predator here he actually called XW a predator, abusive and a hypocrit. I hope you stay tuned.

• Valis
    Valis

Is there not anyone else out there that thinks children should be out doing other things like exercising their freedom and exploring a world w/much to offer, versus reading most of the stuff that goes on here? For the same reason I don't want my parents witnessing to my children, I wouldn't want them worrying about some of the crap posted here, like swordofjah or You Know or the other creeps scaring them with stories of imminent destruction at the hands of an angry god, etc...just not cool IMO..I'm not saying they should be shielded, but a bit of discretion might be in order when deciding if this is an appropriate for children to view...After all, shouldn't they be worried more about making friends their own age, having fun, going to the movies, having a boyfriend or girlfriend, the latest episode of 90210 or whatever drivvel they watch these days?

A kiddies forum might be cool, but it would have to be closely and constantly watched monitored, hence creating a problem where there wasn't one before...

As fare as Apostafests are concerned, yes there are differing events for differeng age groups., however, when we have a kid friendly event the children are monitored and kept an eye on BY THE PARENTS...their visitations here should work the same way..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I

would hope you would consider this. What if your child came online and needed just to be acknowledged and included. Again you never know what is going on in someone else's life and what is affecting them on the other side of the monitor. A child comes online, into chat.. that is not a everyday event. What if it was your child and he or she was treated thusly.. how would you feel. Let's stop and walk a mile in those shoes. Does your child tell you everything that is bothering them ? Sometimes just hanging with the adults helps and it leaves the door open for converstation. There may of been something that could of been voiced if given a chance. But I don't think she was made to feel welcome. Pre- Teenagers and Teenagers are not the most forth coming in discussing what is going in thier lives. Sometimes they cannot go to their parent or feel uncomfortable bring stuff up. Are we so busy and close minded not to be open to a child's needs ? Voiced or not

If that was a need of my child, and I knew it, I, as a parent, would not allow them UNSUPERVISED in a chatroom full of strangers. Period. I don't trust everyone on the board and don't trust anyone on the internet. I certainly wouldn't blindly trust that you people are gonna give her what she needs. People forget what a dangerous place the internet can be. Hence the need for supervision!

No, my 12 year old doesn't come to me with everything. BUT.......we do have open communication and she knows that if she needs "solace" for whatever reasons, that there are people that we both know that have earned our trust (and who I know would help her) that she can speak to. I would NEVER allow my child to open up to any stranger. Are you forgetting that there are strangers on this board? Many lurkers?

Whatever you, or anyone decides to do, with your children is your business. As for me and mine.......well.....I have a much different view. I am all for supporting,helping and listening to preteens/teens......I am just stating that there is a time and a place.

I hope that this young person finds the help she needs thru this transition. My actions and thoughts were as if she was a child of mine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit