I believe in Evolution and that God created life

by Crabby 154 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crabby
    Crabby

Coffy, how can you conclude that DNA is not a literal code neither is it information in the same sense as these words are. The articles I linked for you will explain in more detail.

Seriously it carries genetic information. If not you could not be where you are and aware. Anyone who could conclude that DNA does not carry information is mentally ill.

Dork

• Crabby
    Crabby

Vivian, why do you support the Devil?

Your computer was not made or programmed by jeehoofa, it was made and programmed by Satanist like me, because none of your fellow jeehoofas have an education. So according to your own beliefs you are using a network of the Devil to spread your babbles.

Next moronic jeehoofa comment, from the moron without an education who pretends a lot.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I know that JW's do not study any sort of science, thus they have no rights to comment on such topics. Thus the JW World View is one of purposeful ignorance, but since ignorance is bliss you are quite happy. (sic)

You do realise that it is predominantly ex JWs here and that some of us were never JWs. Some of us have degrees and everything!

• bohm
    bohm
    Seriously it carries genetic information. If not you could not be where you are and aware. Anyone who could conclude that DNA does not carry information is mentally ill.

When we use terms like "Information" in information theory it is as parts of our way of describing a physical system where that description is apt. For instance, when we encounter a rare occurrence (a rare word, DNA sequence or other event) we say that carry more information than a common word, sequence or event. But on this view, which I stress is the standard view (google Shannon information), we could just as easily say that the weather carries information (i.e. if it rains or the sun shines) and that there is more "information" in rainy weather than sunny weather -- however noone would seriously use these definitions to argue that the weather was not purely guided by physical laws. It is just our description!

Now, you might rightly point out the weather lacks something the DNA has, namely a code. This is true! however the same comments apply to the code: That it is just our description, i.e. a special set of words we choose to use, for a sequence of events that are governed by the laws of chemistry.

So yes the DNA can be said to contain information. But where do we go from here?

• Crabby
    Crabby

Well an ex Satanist is better that a practicing Satanist. Is this your premise?

• Crabby
    Crabby

DNA is NOT information theory, nor is the information that it carries a theory. We do not fully understand how the info is coded this is true, thus people make theories around the facts. However DNA is real as is the code that it carries, interestingly I believe that what is known and or seen in DNA only accounts for a small amount of the info that it carries, as I have seen evidence that dogs can carry a smell in their DNA, because all puppies react the same way to the pus of infection which has a pungent smell. Nothing known about DNA can account for this. So there is much more that is not known than there is that is known.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Your computer was not made or programmed by jeehoofa, it was made and programmed by Satanist like me -

Come again?

• bohm
    bohm

Crabby:

DNA is NOT information theory, nor is the information that it carries a theory

I think you misunderstand me.

"Information theory" is the (mathematical) discipline which studies terms like "information", "code", etc. Thus, when we choose to have an argument over whether DNA contains information, or what that implies, we can either do it in light of information theory or with our own intuitions about what information ought to be or do. Similarly, if we argued over what a black hole is, we could either do it in the light of cosmology and general relativity, or with out own intuitions about what a black hole ought to be or do.

What I point out is that if we consider information as defined in information theory it is *very* difficult to see how it offers an argument against evolution.

because all puppies react the same way to the pus of infection which has a pungent smell. Nothing known about DNA can account for this.

I beg to differ. When we smell an object, we do so because we have special smell receptors (special molecules) that binds to the particular molecules that that object releases. These molecules in our nose are made by snippets of DNA. So to account for why puppies react like they do, all we need to do is to show that the dog genomen contains DNA that code for smell receptors that bind to molecules that are particular to pus, and that they are wired up to create a reaction in dogs, just like we are wired to have a negative reaction to "bad" smells associated with death and decay.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Well an ex Satanist is better that a practicing Satanist. Is this your premise?

No, that wooshing noise was the point sailing right over your head. I don't believe in satan and have no preference regarding your question.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Just read through this thread, waiting for the proof that god created life? Did I miss it?

There were some arguments from personal incredulity and ignorance and of course the OP is 'kinda' begging the question.

Where is the evidence that a god, or Crabby's god created life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit