Just had a former elder friend tell me, “This Overlapping generation is crap.

by John Aquila 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't think John is making things up. Sometimes I say, " Last week I bumped into so-and-so and we talked about yadda-yadda."

The real story may have taken place the same day, or a month ago. Sometimes I "adjust" the timeline to protect my anonymity. Some stories are so specific that it's possible to be identified from your post.

If the information is factual, but identities or times are changed to protect myself or others, then I have no problem with that. Does that mean that I "make things up", or am I telling the truth?

DD

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    FayeDunaway
    Each and every one of us here who has either left, faded or shown discontent in any way is a witness to those remaining. When they are feeling doubts, they are going to think of us. 'My brother in law is out of it, and seems to be fine.' 'My sister no longer believes.' 'My son left. And he's happy.' 'That family who used to come, they don't anymore.' We are, often in a subtle way, showing them that there are other options.
    Wise words!
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Phizzy
    As to " How can we drop 1914 without causing a major exodus ?" question, I think they are already a long way down the path to solving that problem. The "Overlapping Generation" has bought them time, time within which to let 1914 die

How much time do you think before they finally let it die????

I mean, it can't go on forever. Especially when many in the organization are starting to question it. Just a few years back, no one was questioning it. But now, the WT has put the spotlight on the OG Idea and some JDubs are taking a closer look because it sounds ridiculous. 5 years ago my friend would have never-ever-have said something against any WT teaching. He was a staunch supporter of any new light. But not anymore.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Thanks siar2.

hey what's going on with these 'dislikes' ?? Usually there's some consistency with how many pluses or minuses for each point of view...these seem to be all over the place. Is something glitching or do people really feel that strongly about john's story.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It seems to me that the overlapping that is going within the organization these days isn't between groups of anointed ones, rather it's between the group made up of new ones coming in, the group made up of ones who can't leave or are still believers for now and the group of individuals who are one foot away from or already in the exit door.

They are all JW's at the moment and their time as JW's is running concurrently but each group overlaps the other at some point .

It's like a revolving door where at any given time period there are people entering the spinning door, people circling inside it and people choosing to exit on their own or who are being spit out the other side . They are all current users of said revolving door but they are at different stages of that use.

• the comet
    the comet

Problemaddict- 100% agree

sometimes when I read stuff on this forum I think, geez these people must be around some hard-core jw's! Nobody around here gives a second thought to doctrine. This month alone I've asked 9 witnesses if they've seen the September broadcast. They range in age from 17-33. 7 said they had and 2 said they were going to soon on their family worship night. The 7 that watched it..when I asked what they thought about the generation bit with splane, none of them had a clue what I was talking about!! They had watched it but it flew right over their head..they weren't paying attention to it..I can't say this enough..doctrine doesn't matter to people under 30!! They don't know and don't care.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    John Aquila

This Overlapping generation is crap, and I don’t believe it. “

Should have gone one step further and said " Well I think all ancient mythology in the bible is crap and I don't believe any of it. "

The stories of the gods or deities in ancient times were going through what you might say a time or period of competition, to see what god offered something appealingly better. The Romans took the Hebrew's in coming Messiah and other previously recognized savior deities and created Jesus Christ into something expressively unique and appealing for their own citizens.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

the comet: doctrine doesn't matter

That's for sure.

This is NOT the religion I joined back in the '80s.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

FayeDunaway

hey what's going on with these 'dislikes' ?? Usually there's some consistency with how many pluses or minuses for each point of view...these seem to be all over the place. Is something glitching or do people really feel that strongly about john's story

Ha ha, Faye, I thought the same thing. It was just a 5 minute experience of an old JW friend who expressed his dislike of the new generation teaching. It’s not like he left the WT and became a super apostate. He still believes the WT has the truth. I thought if I posted it, I might get 7 or 8 views. Boy what a surprise.

FT was upset not only with my experience, but feels most people here have no critical thinking skills

FT’s Quote; Many here lap up everything that reaffirms their view of JW's without engaging the critical thinking skills

Definition - Critical thinking means making reasoned judgments that are logical and well thought out. Critical thinking is used in making serious decisions that will affect your life or the lives of others.

I’m relating a 5 minute experience. I’m not trying to convince anyone to give me their money of jump of a cliff.

I have to admit, I do like stuff like this, it keeps my mind of the reality of being dupe for 40 years.That's a real heavy weight I have to carry.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Finkelstein

This Overlapping generation is crap, and I don’t believe it. “

Should have gone one step further and said " Well I think all ancient mythology in the bible is crap and I don't believe any of it.

I agree Finkelstein, but like I mentioned to Londo, this man is hitting 80, is not in good health, and has spent his life since a kid serving the master WT as a Regular Pioneer, Elder. I would hate to see him go through what I went. I don’t think late 70s – 80s is enough time to recover from TTATT. Heck it's been only 2 years for me and I'm still going through some hell. Plus all his family are staunch Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I rather let him die in peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit