Just had a former elder friend tell me, “This Overlapping generation is crap.

by John Aquila 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    millie210
    why doesnt the GB just let this die a natural death the way the 7th Day Adventists did with their 1844 doctrine.

Good question millie, probably they are milking it for all they can. But eventually they will have to drop it somehow. I bet they are working on that right this moment.

"How can we drop 1914 without creating a major exodus?"
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

defender of truth

Therefore any Jehovahs Witness who doesn't believe this utterly ridiculous overlapping generation teaching.. has in fact, whether they realise it yet or not, admitted that the 'faithful slave' published a false prophecy.

That’s right DoF. The dubs can’t pick and choose what they believe. If they believe the GB is God’s only channel, they have to accept the overlapping Generation. Even if they change the generation in another 30 years to mean overlapping centuries.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

JW's greatest asset as a religion is its surface culture. Nice smiling people that are generally inclusive, and that will welcome you any place in the world. We know its abit of an illusion, but "the brotherhood" is its greatest asset.

Part of that is by creating an us vs them mentality.

Doctrine......has been watered down so much, that no 25-30 year old JW currently serving or a member of the congregation could have a proper discussion with anyone that thoroughly knows their doctrine. they just dont know. I would argue.....they just don't care.

That generation just wants JW.org tweets, a nice little group of friends, and to feel more special that everyone else. They represent the new push to just "listen, obey, and be blessed".

they can't explain and don't care about doctrine. This is fortuitous for the society in my opinion.

• Oogie
    Oogie

My husband watched the broadcast and just sat there saying: 'they're wrong...'

He also says things like: 'If I die of old age in this system...'

I just wish he'd wake up and realise its all crap.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Oogie

My husband watched the broadcast and just sat there saying: 'they're wrong...'

He also says things like: 'If I die of old age in this system...'

Those words were the beginning of me wanting to look at the internet for information on Jehovah's witnesses.

• never a jw
    never a jw

John Aquila,

How do you do it? I am assuming you have faded or at least not regularly attending, and yet people come to you and trust you with stuff they wouldn't trust another brother in the faith. You certainly have a knack for getting the kind of stories people want to hear. You are just like the best sellers fiction writers. You know what the public wants.

• millie210
    millie210

I thought they were on the way to dropping it last year.

When all the summer conventions were about welcoming parties and letting people do the stroll on the stage in the Kingdom Halls.

For a 100 year anniversary, the barely touched on the whole "date" thing. I thought all the distraction and the dainty stepping around and the barely mentioning were smart.

I thought they were all well thought out choreography to letting it die.

Then they went and did this broadcast!

Beyond stupid of them strategically. They were almost out the door so to speak!

It is looking from way out here, like there is a wresting for control in what info will be disseminated to the rank and file.

The wiser "let it drop" folks got their way last summer. The zealots have taken charge this fall.

Is it because there is a power struggle in the tower or is it an attempt to start us all focusing on that instead of other things (such as the money issues and pedophile issues)?

• FadingTruth
    FadingTruth

NeveraJW, I'm glad someone else sees this. Many here lap up everything that reaffirms their view of JW's without engaging the critical thinking skills that allowed them to escape from this cult.

Sure, it's entertaining reading his experiences but if you believe it all, I've got some disheartening news for you.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    John, you have to many good stories or experiences, are you making this stuff up. I surely hope not.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila
    never a jw

John Aquila,

How do you do it? I am assuming you have faded or at least not regularly attending, and yet people come to you and trust you with stuff they wouldn't trust another brother in the faith.

I've only been awake 2 years. I faded because I am well known in the circuit including other cities. I was an elder for many years and gave talks in every convention. I am still respected by many jws, probably because I was not a tyrant elder but I actually liked to help people with their problems. Perhaps that's why they still trust me. Being a Jw for over 40 years allowed me to make friends with a lot of people. Plus I was a very successful business man so most jw see me a a level headed person.

Most of the people that talk to me are 50 years old and up. I've help them when their kids went wild, when their wives left them, I was there when they got sick and lost their jobs. Most of them don't forget that.

On the other side of the story, most of my friends are dying off. I doubt it if in 10 more years anyone will be calling me to talk. Hey, I might not even make it another 10 years, I'll be over 70.

I actually don't think this experience is that great. It was just a 5 minute conversation with a former elder who expressed his disgust for the overlapping generation. I don't see anything extraordinary with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit