Just had a former elder friend tell me, “This Overlapping generation is crap.

by John Aquila 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Carla:
    "Is there a 'generation history' for dummies posted anywhere? my timeline is all messed up now and can't remember all the changes going way back to present." There are more details to it but the basic 1914 teachings from the beginning of the organization in the 1870s comes out to this:
    1. From the late 19th century to the early 20th century they taught that the last days was a period of time from 1799-1914. Armageddon was a period of time from 1874-1914. It was to be a slow motion social collapse. No apocalyptic wars or earthquakes. The Millennium was to begin on 1914.
    2. When that was falsified by historical reality they started teaching that 1914 was the beginning of the end with the lifespan of a "generation" from 1914 being the limit. At first the 'generation' consisted of adults. Then in the 1980s it was trimmed down to adolescents. Soon after it included children.
    3. In the 1990s they started teaching some incomprehensible idea about a hiatus after 1914.
    4. Now they teach the 'overlapping generations' doctrine.
  • FadingTruth
    FadingTruth

John, you have to many good stories or experiences, are you making this stuff up. I surely hope not

Read through his posting history. It's always a variation of "last night I bumped into..."

The amount of people he accidentally bumps into that proffer personal and very incriminating beliefs is astounding. He must have a very trustworthy face and live in a village with a population of 50.

• cha ching
    cha ching

I have to agree with problemaddict2.... I think that MOST of the younger "generation" do not know understand or are interested in the old doctrines and intricacies of anything that is complicated or convoluted....

A social club it is...... Especially if they are raised in this psychopathic lifestyle.... Those new kids/ apostates from Canada, who've been making YouTube videos understand the ins and the outs, but I wonder how many really do?

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Carla:

"Is there a 'generation history' for dummies posted anywhere? my timeline is all messed up now and can't remember all the changes going way back to present."

How 'bout this page?

www.bible.ca/jw-1914-generation.htm

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Crazyguy
    John, you have to many good stories or experiences, are you making this stuff up. I surely hope not.

Cg, I don't think any of my experiences are that great. There are just events that happen. This man is not leaving the organization, he still believes in the paradise earth.What's great about that?
    Now if I got to teach him TTATT and he left the organization, then that would be a great story don't you think? But just expressing his disgust for the overlapping generation is not a big deal. I'm sure this is happening everywhere.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"How can we drop 1914 without creating a major exodus?"

The 8-million-member question.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Say, I just realized... wasn't the specific expression "overlapping generation" actually coined by the XJW community?

Assuming John's story is true (and I think it is), wouldn't that mean that an "apostate" term has insinuated its way into the JW lexicon?

• Alive!
    Alive!

Problemaddict hit nail on head.

Doctrine and spiritual 'meat' is not too important to the stay-in/ born-ins....

A younger born in friend who by her life choices obviously doesn't live as if we're in the end times - a lifetime of heavy duty career moves, accumulating property and never pioneering, ever...suddenly out of the blue got all excited last year at the international conv - sending me pics and exclaiming 'the best, best conv ever!!!!!!' - she loved it, the new hip style of vids ( the interior room shots looked pretty cool) the Mexican waves ......I texted back 'so good you enjoyed, what was the main spiritual encouragement/ scripture that you took away' - I haven't been to meetings for 3 years and she knows it - and I got silence. Couldn't be bothered to sort out exactly what scriptural element made it the 'best ever' - she's not alone - pretty, smart and a worldwide network of family - the WTBTS had some clever branding consultants helping to gloss up the self image of the JWS.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I wish I knew who to give credit to but I think this explains the generation changes very well.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That is really good Amelia ! a JW looking at that must suddenly experience a very real feeling of "something ain't right here".

As to " How can we drop 1914 without causing a major exodus ?" question, I think they are already a long way down the path to solving that problem. The "Overlapping Generation" has bought them time, time within which to let 1914 die , and simply emphasis on the "nearness of the End" to take centre stage.

How many JW's today, especially the younger ones, could make a good fist of explaining the 1914 nonsense ?

They are slowly moving away from the old 19th Century stuff, but they remain an Apocalyptic High Control Cult.

What they teach from one week to the next matters not to the 8 million.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit