Just had a former elder friend tell me, “This Overlapping generation is crap.

by John Aquila 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

Vinman, that was a stonking post!

I wonder how many are waking up to the realisation that the WT have no answer to the fact that they simply were wrong about their cherished dogma of the 1914 generation?

The fall-out from this error is enormous.

Firstly, their trade mark god either does not exist or he does not care about the WTBTS. (I can see no further option). Secondly, they have hideously mislead millions and millions of loyal followers up the proverbial garden path. The accumulative mental suffering and wasting one's life on a religious scam is hard to calculate.

The GB must understand and feel the catastrophe that they were completely and utterly wrong about 1914.

Instead of apologising they got the most benign and trustworthy member John (Jack) Barr to announce their hopelessly inadequate new doctrine of "evidently" overlapping. The poor man died not long after, I'm sure he must have known it came out of the rear end of a male bovine...but he was loyal.

It has to be said the real test of a Jehovah's Witness is not knowledge or humility or dogged determination or hours in service or anything other than blind loyalty to the governing body's demands which counts. To do this is beyond reason. There must be some masochism involved in such slavish obedience because the JWs instinct is to cling on to their hope whether right or wrong.

So here is my point: Why would Jehovah mislead "his own people" for a hundred years?.......................... Are you listening Brooklyn?

My hope is that lurking in the hearts of some of the GB there exists some reason and compassion trying to burst out and admit they are not guided by God and shut up shop for good. Some hope hey!

• Stealth
    Stealth
    The guardians of doctrine are epic failures!
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So here is my point: Why would Jehovah mislead "his own people" for a hundred years?.......................... Are you listening Brooklyn?

One of the questions that cannot be answered........OR........one of the questions that CANNOT BE ASKED!

But they say they'll "wait on Jehoveh to correct it".

I hope they are prepared for a long wait!

Image result for open gravesite

Doc

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think what he is saying is that he doesn't believe it, but it doesn't matter. . . . [They] will never abandon Jehovah.

Yep........it doesn't matter if they're right or wrong!

Remember JW's criticism of the slogan: My Country, Right or Wrong!

I suggest that what they are not seeing is that Jehovah has abandoned them!

Doc

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

desirousofchange - "...I suggest that what they are not seeing is that Jehovah has abandoned them!"

That suggests that he was actually with them in the first place, originally.

It ain't much of a stretch to go from "they had it once but lost it" to "they probably never had it", though.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"...I suggest that what they are not seeing is that Jehovah has abandoned them!"

It's a great line to use on a JW with whom you have no fear of being a bit open about your doubts, since all JWs believe they had (or have) Jehovah's blessing. But with all the problems, losing of court cases, constant New Light changes on major doctrine, it just may get them to questioning "what is wrong".

Doc

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Vidiot 5 hours ago

It ain't much of a stretch to go from "they had it once but lost it" to "they probably never had it", though.

Vidiot, that's a good one, I'm gonna try to use that when appropriate.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Feel free, and let us know how it goes.

• AMNESIANO
    AMNESIANO

OneEyedJoe insightfully observed:

It's possible that they're just doing what they think they're supposed to be doing. I bet a healthy percentage (at least of the ones that have two brain cells to rub together are praising it because that's just what you do. In the back of their mind though, something just isn't right. As an example - I've had a bad knee due to an injury for about 12 years now. No matter what the doctors did I was left with frequent knee pain. When people would ask me about a recent surgery I would often say "It'll sure be nice in the new system when I have someone working on it that knows what they're doing!" At the time I was at a low point (in hindsight I was sooooo close to waking up) in my belief and as I said the words it just made me feel worse because I knew that it was a delusion. But I said it, and I acted cheerful about it because that's what was expected of me. Social pressure is a bitch. People could be praising it now hoping that they'll figure it out, but once they realize that their inability to make sense of it isn't their fault, the story will start to change.

Hit squarely on the nail's head!

Similar to yourself, I disingenuously persisted in chirping the cult line all the while I was mentally strategizing my checkout following the first highly-insulting reiteration of "generation" back in late 1995. I even commented during that very Watchtower Study while inwardly seething.

We should never deceive (and depress!) ourselves by supposing we awakened ones are so much smarter than those still giving the appearance of being mentally trapped merely because they dutifully continue to mouth the mantras. Many are just like we were--keeping their powder dry as they contemplate the best way and right time to make their escape.

AMNESIAN

Captive 7/1972 - 2/2001

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    True, JW do not swallow overlap, but nevertheless, they see for a fact God's Holy Spirit operative on the WT, FS and JW, and that fact cannot be invalidated with any incorrect interpretation of generation..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit