Fatties won't pony up cash for two seats

by ashitaka 83 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Quantum pyhsics is no longer 'quakery' but is now fact.

I wasn't talking about quantum physics but "quantum medicine" which sounds like the latest twist on the old formula of mixing science and bullshit in order to make money out of gullible people.

I had access to a prototype of a machine that had Quantum technology, and used it on several people.

"Quantum technology"? What quantum technology, exactly?

This machine and other has scientific proof in case studies that in increases the elasticity in the Dermis of the skin, which I might add is a suposed impossibility!!!!!! Yet it has been done!!!

Any references for those case studies?

This machine wasn't 'tightening and toning the skin' it was communitacing with each cell telling it were it was supposed to be, and it responded automatically.

That's a huge breakthrough. If that's correct, it would be one of the biggest scientific discoveries ever. I can't believe I missed it. Any idea where I can see the science behind it and how it fits in with current knowledge?

Right now we are on the verge of tremendious technological advances, there are therums and ideas now that are emerging that destroy popular science, so many are afraid of the implications and this 'fear' is what has kept mankind from exploring it sooner.

That doesn't sound like the mankind I know. Afraid of a huge scientific breakthrough that would change theworld and make the discoverer incredibly famous almost infinitely rich? Why?

But now there is too much information out there, too much going on and the results of this technology are astounding!!!

Case studies, please! Show me the information!

Just because we don't understand something, does not make it 'wrong' or 'not possible', perhaps we're just not ready to make that step yet.

Ususally when something sounds too good to be true, it is. People aren't afraid to get their face cut up and stitched back together, or to have collagen or botox injected into it. I'd be amazed if they were too afraid to have a painless procedure that made them look ten years younger. Remember, just because you don't understand something doesn't make it true.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

LB,

Oh and nice title for the topic. More assholes at work.

My, aren't you a treat this afternoon.

I'm fat myself (260 pounds), so I reserve the right to use the word fattie. Deal with it.

ash

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

http://www.obesity.dk/report/presentations/seidell.html

Dr. Jacob Seidell

Head of the Department of Chronic Diseases and Environmental Epidemiology at the Rijksinstituut voor Volksgesondheid en Milieu at Bilthouen, the Netherlands.

The burden of obesity for the society and the individual

We do not have exact numbers for the prevalence of obesity. When you talk to the public or to a journalist, the impression is that obesity is not a problem in Europe, only in North America.

However, the prevalence of obesity has risen in the EU. If we look to the USA, which we regard as the world leader within obesity, the prevalence is based on self-reported search data that are done each year for the entire USA. They show that obesity has doubled over the last ten years, from 10 to 20 per cent. The true prevalence of obesity in the USA is probably higher, possibly 25 per cent. To its neighbours, the problem is much smaller. In Canada, the figure is 10-15 per cent. In Europe, data are also usually self-reported. Only a few countries measure height and weight.

The situation in Europe
    In Europe, there is a big variety across the continent. In the Netherlands, there has been a doubling over the last twenty years, but the figure is much lower than in USA. Data from Denmark, Sweden, and Norway show a similar pattern.

The prevalence of obesity in the Netherlands was around 5-6 per cent in the early nineteen eighties. The same figure applied to the UK. In the Netherlands the number has increased to 10 per cent; in the UK it has increased to 20 per cent, possibly even further. This is prevalence roughly equivalent to that of the USA.

In Eastern Finland the prevalence is about 20 per cent, which is close to what we see in USA. In Germany 20-25 per cent are obese. Southern Europe shows similar figures, although obesity in women is more common than in men. In Eastern Europe the prevalence of obesity in women is extremely high, in the area of 30-40 per cent.

The difference between countries should be studied carefully: why is the prevalence of obesity much higher in Germany than in the Netherlands?

The prevalence of obesity is increasing, especially among children. In the Netherlands, the most rapid growth in obesity is seen in children at the age of six. This tendency is seen across Europe: we see very dramatic increases in Scottish children, and in English children.

Within countries there is a great variety in different sub-populations. In addition to social class we have ethnicity: compared to Dutch children, children of Turkish and Moroccan parents in the Netherlands have twice the prevalence of obesity. Not only do we have heterogeneity across Europe; within countries there is difference between sub-populations.

On average, the prevalence of obesity in Europe is 10-15 per cent, which is similar to the situation in USA five-ten years ago. We are rapidly copying our big neighbour.

Why worry?
    The main reason for worrying is that obesity is a big health problem. The most important diseases that are associated with obesity are heart disease, type-2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and osteoarthritis. Obese women have 12 times the risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared to lean women.

Apart from somatic disease, obesity leads to poor physical functioning and reduced quality of life. Symptoms of chronic low back pain are clearly related to obesity, and there are obvious economic and individual connotations. Obese people have far more work days lost through illness than lean people. Although the data are different, the problem is the same across Europe. It is of a magnitude that is comparable to smoking.
    We may conclude that:
    The prevalence of obesity in most European countries is high (15-25 per cent in women; 10-20 per cent in men) and increasing in most countries.

Rates vary widely between and within countries, particularly in women.

Obesity constitutes an important health hazard throughout Europe.

Upon visiting Europe, I noticed there seemed to be less obese people there than in America, especially in Amsterdam.

My theory is:

1. They serve smaller portions of food at restaurants.
    2. Fast food restaurants are not as prominent.
    3. The majority of people ride bicycles rather than drive cars, therefore get more exercise.
    4. They smoke a lot.

Granted people have different metabolisms. I for one have a very high metabolism and thus have never weighed more than 155 lbs in my LIFE. (I'm 5'9") I have found though that if I'm not active and eat fattening food, I'll gain weight rather quickly, so I stay active and eat right and thus maintain a slender build. My heart goes out to those that don't have a high metabolism as I do - I know several people that are just as active as I am and battle to keep the pudge off.

At any rate, if you take up two seats, yeah...pay for two. Unfortunate that the seats are really small on planes, but...such is life - it's not always fair. More incentive to loose weight - besides, it's better for your health.

One thing that may help people to loose weight is to EAT SLOWER. And realize to stop eating once you feel your stomach fill up....it will expand to accomodate whatever you force down there, but it's not necesary to eat that much. If you eat slower, you'll notice once you've reached that point. Just my two cents worth. :-)

-back2dafront

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    One thing that may help people to loose weight is to EAT SLOWER.

That's my problem.

I get so busy at work, that I forget breakfast and lunch, and by the time dinner comes, I'm so ravenously hungry, that I eat like a pig, and late at night. My girth has stayed the same for several years (hovering around 250, I'm 260 in winter, 240 in summer), and I really don't eat all that much. I eat my greens and salad just like everyone else, I don't drink sugar drinks, (mostly water), but the weight won't come off. I just have to adjust my eating habits, but then again, I don't exactly have the most active metabolism. At best, I will be overweight someday, and not a fattie. I think the best I could get down to is 200 pounds, about 30 over my ideal weight. It's not easy.

ash

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Upon visiting Europe, I noticed there seemed to be less obese people there than in America, especially in Amsterdam.

My theory is:

1. They serve smaller portions of food at restaurants.
    2. Fast food restaurants are not as prominent.
    3. The majority of people ride bicycles rather than drive cars, therefore get more exercise.
    4. They smoke a lot.

I don't think Amsterdam is representative of Europe in this respect, especially points 3 and 4.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I think more often than not it's genetics. Not always, but many times it is. Why can't we just sum it up to differences, respecting those differences, and just moving on with enjoying Life?

I've been very blessed with having a high metabolism my whole life. It's slowing down as I get older, but I've never been overweight. I've never had to work hard at keeping a trim figure. My family on both sides is rather like that. I come from a line of thin, physically fit people, who can eat whatever they want without really gaining. But I do struggle with depression. There are days, months, even years of my life where I struggled to WANT to live. I've attempted suicide twice in my life. My family on both sides is rather like that too. I come from a line of mentally ill, suicidal, and sometimes raging lunatics.

If I had a choice to struggle with suicidal tendancies or being overweight. I'd choose being overweight. At least I'd have the urge to LIVE long enough to work on my weight.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I was just thinkng.

My wife went to a seminar for further education for her job as a medical professional.

There, the speaker was talking about stress, and how it affects our weight. She said that in men, stress leads to a beer belly, even if that person is relatively healthy and doesn't drink beer.

In women, I think the woman said that the weight collects in the top of the thighs and the buttocks.

There are so many determining factors as to weight, it's hard to say exactly what could be done to lose weight, even if a good regimine of diet and excercise is on the plate.

Example: I have bad back and hip problems, which appeared after an injury at work. I do have an excercise bike that I use, but after a bit, the pain is so bad that i have to stop. This is probably just a couple of the things that overweight people like myself have to deal with.

Still, the issue in the article is about a women who weight 800 pounds. That is not the normal obese person here. It's a serious issue for that person that she was going to sit next to.

Like I said, the Comfort Zone seating for morbidly obese people could work, in theory.

ash

• bigboi
    bigboi

Everybody is unique and often the norms \just don't apply to every one across the board.

You cant tell me that a person who weighs 800 lbs is that way because they want to be that way. The human body and all its processes are very complex and for some ppl it is extrmely hard to loose weight, while it is really easy to put on a lot of weight.

What really matters is your health anyways. Some ppl are overweight and are very, very healthy. Whilst some skinny ppl are in quite bad health. Take my own example, I'm about 6'2 320 lbs. I don't have high blood sugar, high cholesterol, high blood pressure or any health problems commonly associated with being overweight. My roomamte is 6'4 about 190 lbs and we both have basically identical eating habits. He's even told me that he was surprised at how much I ate, because i don't eat anymore than he does yet I weigh about 120 lbs more than he does. I do very hard work, daily. Im a tire man for a parish/county where I service primarily commercial trucks and equipment. We're talking about dealing mostly with tire and rims from 16" to 34". Can u imagine how much one of those things weighs and having to pull and push on em all day long? So I doubt of all the things ppl can call me because of my weight, lazy or unhealthy cannot be included.

Often I have to watch what I eat, because it is very easy for me to gain weight, and very hard for me to lose the weight once I put it on. So I try not to eat late, unless I haven't had anything at all to eat like Ashi and for the better part of the last 4 yrs I was still quite active, even outside my job. The lowest weight I was ever able to get down to was about 265 lbs about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I did that by working out and limiting myself to one big meal a day prefrably at lunch. However, that kind of regimen was a bit hard to maintain and i found myself being tired and weak all the time. So I stopped, gained the weight back and believe it or not felt much better. So this weight thing is really confusing to me and I refuse to get into dieting and letting other ppl determine how i feel about myself. I just try to live life, be happy and reasonable in my eating habits.

• LB
    LB

Ash regardless if you consider yourself fat or not I consider this thread to be the work of mindless heartless assholes. Every few weeks we seem to degenerate into attacks on obese people and I can't stand it and won't deal with it well.

For those of you who still believe the body was made so perfectly by Jehovah there are some glaring faults with the body. One of them is in the manner than the body stores fat. It hangs onto fat as though it was gold. As your body loses weight your metabolism slows way down. So much so that a man than weighs 180 pounds eventually cannot lose anymore fat even on a sub 1000 calorie a day diet. They will lose muscle instead. This is the main reason people quite often feel so weak while dieting. The body has a lousy design.

The diet industry is a multi billion dollar business with only a 2% success rate long term.

Dieters often feel like failures. Obese people have tried everything. I certainly did. I like many other obese people felt like a complete and utter failure. I felt weak. Everywhere I turned there were fat jokes not to mention the stares from strangers and the not so quiet comments that are always made.

The simple thoughts like eat less exercise more sounds so right. Almost like a watchtower study. But it isn't that simple. There are so many factors I won't bother listing them.

My thought is why do people attack obese people? Because they have lousy self esteem. "You are fat and I am not. I am better than you". Just like the superior minded JW.

Fat people stink and should stay home. Lovely thoughts. These threads always bring out the small minds.

Times like this I question why I bother with any forum. I also go to a Maui forum and half of the messages there are attacks. I consider this a support group but all too often it's one attack after another.

Andi was right on another thread. There is no true love here on earth. Certainly not on this board. I can feel the fade coming.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    So this weight thing is really confusing to me and I refuse to get into dieting and letting other ppl determine how i feel about myself. I just try to live life, be happy and reasonable in my eating habits.

Yeah, that's me pretty much. I think I'm a relatively handsome guy, and the weight thing i can deal with. I love my life, and being overweight isn't so bad.

It's weird....I tried a diet last year, and I lost a little weight, but unless it's a drastic weight reduction, I don't see how it's going to affect my self image. Weight, in the end, is just flesh.....not a big deal. I'm more concerned about how I treat my wife, and how well I do at my job. Everything else is a bonus, if it works out for you.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit