Fatties won't pony up cash for two seats

by ashitaka 83 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

LB,

I don't think anything I said was an attack. Being overweight (well, i guess I could be categorized as obese), I understand what you're saying. Still, this was about someone who seriously would have invaded the space of another person in a very confining airplane.

I have minor claustrophobia, and being on a airplane for me makes my blood pressure go up. I am not only terrified to fly, but I feel like I can't breathe sometimes, because the airplane is so crampt.

Now, if one of those claustrophobic people was on the inside of an isle, and this 800 pound woman set next to them, I know that I would have a massive panic attack. Now, I don't know if you've had them, but they aren't pretty. Panic attacks, for me, are embarassing.

Because they have lousy self esteem. "You are fat and I am not. I am better than you".

I have no bias about fat people, but then again, I don't take my weight seriously. I know I'm big. Sometimes I pat the belly and make a joke. I make jokes about myself all of the time. What's good for the goose....

Would I prefer to be smaller? Sure. Is fat a big deal? Not really.

The 'fat people are smelly' comment was way out of line. I didn't say that. Agree with you there.

In the end, this is more about stingy airlines than about weight.

What about my Comfort Zone seating idea? Do you think that would be feasible?

ash

• Xander
    Xander

I come from a line of thin, physically fit people, who can eat whatever they want without really gaining.

Which is fine, nobody is arguing that it is not EASIER for some people to stay thin than others. Metabolisms do differ, some people just don't have to work as hard to stay thin.

That doesn't mean it's okay for those who have to work harder to blimp up.

Like Derek pointed out, if you consume less than you use...you LOSE WEIGHT.

It's just that simple. There is no way around that - it's the laws of physics. Your body burns a certain amount of energy. We get energy from food. If you consume less energy (in food) than you use, your body must operator off its stored energy (that's fat). Obvoiusly, once you run out of stored energy, you must start eating a little more or you will die (you'll be really cranky and sick for a while first, it's not like you just wake up one morning and keel over).

It's really not that hard. If you are overweight, that means you eat too much for the amount of exercise you get. You can solve this by eating less or exercising more (preferably both).

Period.

Yes, there may be many reasons WHY you eat too much. Or WHY you don't get enough exercise. Those are things you have to deal with yourself.

Note that people who are ridiculously thin are just as irritating. They don't eat enough, are too superficial, etc.

Here is a weight chart:

Notice that for each height/gender/frame type there is an UPPER *and* a LOWER limit for a healthy human. (FWIW, I'm 6" even and medium frame type, averaging in the 150-160 lbs range)

And while, yes, people with weight issues are discriminated against, it's really for your own good. That's like complaining why smokers are discriminated against (they have to sit in their own section in restaurants!) or why alcoholics are discriminated against.

Being overly obese ISN'T HEALTHY. Being too skinny ISN'T HEALTHY.

Instead of complaining about being discriminated against, how about you do something THAT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD HEALTH.

Edited by - Xander on 8 February 2003 13:32:19

• bigboi
    bigboi
    It's weird....I tried a diet last year, and I lost a little weight, but unless it's a drastic weight reduction, I don't see how it's going to affect my self image. Weight, in the end, is just flesh.....not a big deal. I'm more concerned about how I treat my wife, and how well I do at my job. Everything else is a bonus, if it works out for you.

You're right. Weight doesn't change your self image. If a person feels like their life is crap when they're fat, when they lose the weight they'll probably still feel the same. Nobody, fat or skinny, likes to be disrepected or made fun of. We all want some empathy for what we go through. Nothing wrong with showing some fellow feeling and understanding.

LB,

Dude don't leave the board because I feel we need to hear what ppl are thinking on some issues no matter how hard it is to hear. Also, we need ppl whose viewpoints can balance out the attacks and ignorance. Nothing wrong with taking a little break ever now and then though.

• omiecoop
    omiecoop

I consider this thread to be the work of mindless heartless assholes.

LB----> Thanks for saying many of the things that I have been thinking as I read this thread. I was so appalled at the way people think about others that I was beginning to think that everyone felt that way. Thanks for being a thoughtful human being, and calling a spade a spade.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Just diet and eat less and exercise and you will loose weight?

Not true for all people.

My wife has been over weight all her life. She eats very little compared to me. She can outdo me on the treadmill. I am neither slim or over weight and she is over weight. She exercises daily, summer and winter. I hibernate in winter. She diets all year around. I eat all I want to at any time.

She is embarassed by her weight . I am proud of her. Not all people that are overweight are over eaters. Our body metabolism is responsible for some overweight problems.

It is ridiculous to paint every overweight person with the same brush.

With some, the problem is psychological and as difficult to handle as other psychological problems. These people deserve our concern and respect as well as the rest of you do.

There but for the grace of not having, a physical or mental disorder could be your self , receiving disrespect and ridicule from others.

Outoftheorg

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Personally I feel those that are obese due to lack of proper diet and exercise should be encouraged to eat better and exercise more. There's nothing wrong with encouraging someone like that, just as there'd be nothing wrong with encouraging someone not eating enough to eat more. It's for their own benefit. For those that are overweight but are still healthy, then so be it. Health is the issue to me, not size.

Edited by - back2dafront on 8 February 2003 13:54:4

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    I consider this thread to be the work of mindless heartless assholes.

LB----> Thanks for saying many of the things that I have been thinking as I read this thread. I was so appalled at the way people think about others that I was beginning to think that everyone felt that way. Thanks for being a thoughtful human being, and calling a spade a spade

Being fat myself, I think that everyone is being overly sensitive about this weight thing.

This is about self-image, pure and simple.

I like myself, at any weight I am. People who go nuts over people who make fat jokes have issues that they have to work out. Because I make fat jokes about myself, does this make me a 'fat bigot'? No.

Everyone on this thread has been a little bit right, but still way off. Everyone needs to lighten up and have a beer.

ash

• Brumm
    Brumm
    Everyone needs to lighten up and have a beer.

Sounds like a good idea, does any beer have calories though?

Brummie

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Brummie,

My belly tells me yes, my liver is weeping in anguish, and my brain is telling me, just do it!

ash

• Brumm
    Brumm
    My belly tells me yes, my liver is weeping in anguish, and my brain is telling me, just do it!

ROFLAO

We have to follow the brains advice en it....tis necessary for our mental happiness.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit