Fatties won't pony up cash for two seats

by ashitaka 83 Replies latest jw friends

• songmistress
    songmistress

I usually steer clear of emotionally charged threads, but feel compelled to respond to this one.

IMHO size is not the underlying issue. Those of us who are overweight are, for the most part, very aware of it. I know I certainly am. We struggle, some more successfully than others, with our weight. Frankly for myself, at this moment in time, physical size is not the most important thing I have to deal with. Neither is it the least important thing.

All this being said, isn't is about time we learn to look beyond the physical. This is a matter of human decency and RESPECT. I for one left the JW's because of judgementalness and others dictating to me how I must look, or dress, or act. I am NOT the sum total of what my body image is. The real me, the core me, lies deep within. That core person is the one I am working to stregthen. I believe once she is stronger, the outside will change.

Case in point, while I was part of the B'org, my hubby had a very severe drinking problem. Being the good little witness I was, I was on his back constantly about it. When I left the JW, I decided to stop bugging him about his drinking. If that was what he really wanted to do with his life, was it really up to me to judge him. The only person I am responsible for is myself and how I live my life. I cannot change another. OK so here I have decided to stop judging his drinking habits. Guess what happened, He quit drinking. I am not saying that we have no problems. We actually have some pretty serious stuff we are dealing with.

What I am saying is that judging others only beats both parties down and leads to more of the same problems. If you (whoever you might be) think I am scum for whatever reason, I may just take on that opinion and prove you true. Or if I have come to a healthy place for myself, I can shrug it off and go about my life. However, I do believe that when we make judgements, the we who make the judgements are always harmed by them.

There have been many arguments and flame wars on this board and I find them upsetting and frustrating. We are all at different places in our recovery from the B'org. Wouldn't it be better to be supportive of one as well as all our fellows in the world community. The world we live in is in enough turmoil without making more.

In the words of Bill & Ted "Be exellent to one another"

Cheryl

Edited by - songmistress on 8 February 2003 15:5:1

• songmistress
    songmistress

Now that I have expended my emotional frustration and gottent down off my soap box I started thinking about Ash's statement "Everyone needs to lighten up and have a beer. "

Well I have never liked beer (ducking from the barrage from beer afficianado's everywhere ) but how about a wine spritzer. LOL

Cheryl

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    And while, yes, people with weight issues are discriminated against, it's really for your own good.

Xander- your arrogance astounds me.

XW

• Seven
    Seven

Xander,

Note that people who are ridiculously thin are just as irritating.They don't eat enough, are too superficial, etc.

LOL Thanks for the new light. All these years I thought I was irritatiing because I'm ridiculously tall. ***sigh of relief***

seven

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

You guys need to look at the bright side of things. Sitting between two fat people means you have built in pillows.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

<--------- remembers (fondly) a nice B/W picture I saw once, that just might have been Seven. *sigh*

• bigboi
    bigboi
    You guys need to look at the bright side of things. Sitting between two fat people means you have built in pillows.

That depends on whether they're male or female or soft or solid. Cause u got some ppl with some pretty hard fat on em out there.

• Mary
    Mary

I think that our health care systems should have some sort of treatment centers to help obese people "kick-start" their way to better health. We've got rehabs all over the place for drug users, alcoholics.......why nothing for "food addicts"? It's easy to say "stop eating so much and exercise more", but the society we live in makes it extremely difficult to do that. 90% of the foods we are accustomed to eating are probably fattening, plus we live in a society where we use alot more mental energy than physical energy in our jobs. These two factors combined are a deadly combination. Plus for people like me, food is a very emotional thing. If I get stressed, I reach for food the way an alcoholic reaches for a drink. There is scientific proof now that eating "comfort foods" releases endorphins in our brain, making us "feel good", just like drugs, cigarettes or booze. The problem is: eating these kinds of food is cheap, legal and available everywhere you look. To overcome such an addiction is extremely difficult; I mean who the hell wants a piece of fruit for dessert when there's turtle cheesecake available!!

Bottom line is: with 60% of Americans overweight, I think the airlines should make their seats a bit bigger.........and to the person who said that all fat people should stay at home, I say come on over to my place sweetheart, and I'll sit on you till you turn blue...........

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I was only over weight when I was pregnant, and right after my children were born I got back into my old clothes with-in a few weeks. I use to be terrified of being overweight. To the point of anorexia and hospitalization. I haven't had an eating disorder for several years, since I left my husband, BUT! When I started eating right everyday and working out every day, I became healthier then I ever was in my life with the exception of a thyroid problem. I gained more weight then I was supposed to and PANIC sat-in. But before I started starving myself, I went to the doctor and had a complete blood workup done and found that my thyroid was slightly inactive. So, I started temporary meds and altered my diet to add more foods that promote a healthy thyroid. It worked. I don't need medication for it anymore my thyroid is normal now, however I have only been able to knock off 20 of the 60 lbs I gained. I was 20 lbs Under weight. I am now 20 lbs overweight. I don't gain weight anymore, but I still have a very hard time losing it. My age has a lot to do with it as well. Our matabolizim changes a lot as we get older and if our diet doesn't change to compensate, then we gain weight and it's harder to lose because our metabolism is slower. We can adjust our diet to boost our matab but it is hard to get into new habits and until we make it a new habit, we struggle.

I believe in karma. As for L.L , what you said, I would not be surprised if some day you develop a health issue that will effect your ability to keep the weight off, and get fat. I personally try not to go around saying things that will inevitably come back to haunt me. I use to put women down who allowed themselves to be victims of abuse. I use to say to myself "It will be a cold day in hell before I married a man that beat me, or stayed with one." I use to say some pretty harsh things to womwn who in "MY" opinion were free to come and go as they pleased but stayed. Even my own mother. Way back when. I know better now.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 8 February 2003 19:22:42

• simplesally
    simplesally

For myself, I find it hard to sit next to the extremely overweight people because they are hard to climb over if they are in the aisle seat. Fortunately for me, I have had a space in between them. And better yet, when I fly without my little girl, I can sit in the emergency row and enjoy the leg space.

I think you should just pay for the space you occupy. I don't think "skinny" people deserve a discount because no one is going to be able to share their space they don't use....its the overweight ones who spill into another's. If its not a full flight, though, I think they should accomodate the heftier people.

-------------------

Side note to Sixy....psst, you're not on the Jerry Springer show, stop throwing chairs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit