We're all Americans....Reparations?

by Country Girl 106 Replies latest social humour

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The US taxpayer has paid enough in reparations for disadvantaged blacks already in the form of Government programs and prisons. Please note almost one in three (32%) young black males in the United States in the age group 20-29 is under some type of correctional control (incarceration, probation, or parole). Black males have a 29% chance of serving time in prison at some point in their lives. In my personal experience, blacks are just as, if not more, racist than other races.

• jst_me
    jst_me

Heathen,

You are wrong, the state of Florida has successfully prosecuted slavery cases in the last few years.

SableIndian.....a Creek and a Cherokee together!! wow that was brave. :) or insane myayaya (jk)

The Seminole Tribal Fair is supposed to be awesome....I know lots of people that go. Too far for me. I am in NE, so the biggest one I go to is Schimetzen (the Peqout's green corn powwow). I have never seen so many ndns in one place at one time, it is amazing.

You should check out the powwow at Moundville, AL. I know a ton of people that go to that one, for the past couple of years Ulali has been there. Plus that place is awesome.

and I make pumpkin fry bread alot...and fried corn when I get nice corn in the summer. Ever had swap cabbage? that is nice too. mmmm mmm

Edited by - jst_me on 23 January 2003 22:27:8

• sableindian
    sableindian

Hi, heathen,

Again I state, it is not your fault that you continue to make ignorant statements about slavery. It is the status quo that continues to perpetrate to ongoing lie.

"David Bloomberg has written a very good review of Gregory Freeman's excellent book, Lay This Body Down, which is about the horrific murder of 11 black men in 1921 who were trapped in a slave-like system called peonage --essentially they were forced to work to pay off completely bogus debts.

Even though slavery was technically outlawed within the United States at the conclusion of the Civil War, peonage was not fully outlawed until about 1910, and continued for decades after that in parts of the South.

There have been a number of excellent books about this topic, including Pete Daniel's The Shadow of Slavery : Peonage in the South, 1901-1969 and the out-of-print, The Peonage files of the U.S. Department of Justice, 1901-1945, which as its title suggests presents documents and information from the FBI's investigations into peonage (it was just such an investigation that led to the murder of the 11 men in Georgia -- the white plantation owner wanted to destroy the evidence, which happened to be the black men he forced to work for him).

People interested in the topic can also find a first hand account of the peonage system on the web --Peonage in the South: The Life Story of a Negro Peon -- taken from a 1906 compilation."

• sableindian
    sableindian

Jst_me,

You are so right about the Cherokee and the Creek. I didn't want to say anything because of your Nation. I am so surprised that my parents let that happen. But they did. My great grandmother mumbled through the whole ceremony. My husband was a staunch traditionalist. To this day he still considers us married. (divorced for 5 years)

I love fried corn, fry bread (gotta taste yours!) and swap cabbage. I still eat my snap beans, cabbage, carrots and squash raw. Do you know what sweet clover is? We would pick it and wash it off and eat it like fruit. They taste like grapes. The world is so polluted now. We've got to get together to Pow Wow. I've been to the one in New Mexico. Wall to wall Indigenous Folk! Just beautiful.

This summer! ATLANTA or BUST

• sableindian
    sableindian

Check out mega dude. (giggle) He doesn't even know that minorities are taxpayers, that all people, especially white women, (and I'm all for all women getting over on the male status quo) are benefitted by government programs. I wonder what he's going to do with all these Black men getting out of prison for the trumped up charges that are being found out through DNA? Oh, no! more government programs. What are they going to do with all that room they'll have in those prisons. I think they should start arresting White males who look at minority women. (stop that) LOL

Just trippin'

Race Unity for all.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Wall to wall Indigenous Folk!

Humans are not indigenous to the Americas.

• heathen
    heathen

sableindian- I think we can all agree we are ignorant to some degree about the politics in the past . What I said before is as valid opinion as anyone . In order for people to put this issue behind where it belongs we cannot throw salt on old wounds .We cannot have government programs that favor one group over another and say we are equal . That's the way I see it and nothing you have said so far has changed my opinion.

• sableindian
    sableindian

Hey, Heathen, before a Nation can get on with it's business. It needs to pay it's debt. Too bad your ancestors did not do it whenever and left the debt to y'all. Feel for you brother. But, other countries are paying debts their ancestors left behind to the US.

Too bad you think you are above that. That is the same attitude that prevailed in the 19th century. Not only toward Blacks, but toward other minorities and women. In the 18th century the Irish were not only servants, they were apt to be slaves or even given the worst tasks. Beaten and starved. Left for Indigenous

(ADJECTIVE:

1. Originating and living or occurring naturally in an area or environment. See synonyms at native.) (for funkyderek. It is an expression like there are really no white people, unless they are dead for a little while and then they turn black as a corpse.)
    It is very strange that when others see someone in need, they just help. It is their/our "nature". So much so that White people think it is so rare that they make holidays out of it. Like Thanksgiving.

I see no problem in continuing paying taxes for the government programs that will help my neighbors better themselves so that we can all be uplifted, live on and be the US we profess to be.

Now, those RICH people. I can't stand them! (giggle)

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Hey, how about reparations for all the white families that lost their loved ones freeing the slaves?

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

We can pay reparations to the blacks, but first we have to pay reparations to the Native Americans being that they got screwed FIRST and the HARDEST. Bitch all you want about slavery, at least there are still black people. And estimated 98% of Native Americans died. Soooo since EVERYONE in America is living on Indian land (Whites, Blacks, Browns, Greens, whatever color you want) we 1) Need to pay them for using their land (plus interest) and 2) We need to leave. Thats right, EVERYONE who is not a Native American can ship their asses back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit