We're all Americans....Reparations?

by Country Girl 106 Replies latest social humour

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Reparations. For what? This country was barely populated when slaves were brought from Africa. Are you going to hunt down every descendant of slaves, many of whom took on the names of their owners families and have thousands upon thousands of descendants? Are you going to pay each of them $1, which would probably be the case if you sued the families that were responsible for owning slaves?

My family didnt own slaves. My Mothers family came from Sweden after the Civil War and they fought hard to have their homestead on the hard, cold prairie. They worked the land themselves, sometimes fighting blistering snowstorms to stay alive. My Fathers family came here in 1950 from Greece. They were given asylum because the Nazis destroyed their farm.

It wasnt easy for ANY of our ancestors. Should we get reparations? For how hard it was? Just because African Americans were BROUGHT here, it wasnt the fault of our modern Society. Thats just how it was back then. We righted ourselves by fighting the Civil War. Does anybody think how it was for a Mother to lose her children to a battle fighting for the rights of someone she considered less than an equal? What they fought for.. what they all believed in.. was the right for all men to be equal. No shame can be found in that.

Bound on those rights, is Society as we see it today. How can African Americans ask for reparation when their lot has become better? Based on the history of civil rights, their lot is way better/ Through the deaths of many people that believed in equal rights as Abe Lincoln expressed it, or as Martin Luther King expressed it, their lot in life is better.. and things are so much more equal. How can people classify themselves as African Americans when they werent BORN in Africa, nor do they have a contact with Africa. They are Americans, cuz they were born here. They continue to SEGREGATE themselves by calling themselves other than American. How can they expect to progress if they keep bringing attention to their differences? They keep saying that America has to pay attention to their differences, celebrate those differences, yet they keep asking America to integrate with them. You either want one or the other. Its okay if you want black colleges, black channels BET, black Ms. America pageants.. but then dont turn around and ask people to IGNORE their caucasion differences, and get upset cuz people want to have Ms. White America pageants, white only clubs, things like that.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Do you know how UPSET the NAACP would be if white people formed a union and had a Ms. White USA? How upset people would be if someone formed a WHITE ONLY channel? Well, think about it like that.

Were all Americans, those of us that were born here. I like the fact that some of us continue to bring our traditions and cultures to the fore, but for the most part.. we are AMERICANS.. and we are all the same.. and we all are lucky to live here and we should be proud.. and should be become one.. AMERICANS.

• bigboi
    bigboi

Unbelievable!

• Sargon
    Sargon

Country Girl,

Did you post this under Jokes and Humor for a reason?

• jst_me
    jst_me

ya gotta love this new white wine (er I mean WHINE)

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

You say new white whine. What's whiny about it? Cuz I'm challenging the new political correctness? It seems as if YOU are whining, because you don't want the white people to have the same rights as you do. That's not fair. Everyone has the right to whine. It's okay for you to whine about other people not having the same rights as whites..but when white people whine we're struck out? Doesn't seem fair.

CG

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Sargon:

No.. I just posted it under the wrong heading. An honest, imperfect, human mistake.

CG

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

It all just boils down to: if you think we should pay the black folks cuz their ancestors were slaves, vote yes. For reparations.

If you don't think we should pay the black people: vote no.

I think most people will vote no cuz their families did NOT make people slaves.

CG

• bigboi
    bigboi

Country Girl:

One of the reasons you see things like BET or Black Entertainment Television is because it's the only designation that Black ppl can use because unlike most Americans, we don't know exactly what our origins were besides that our ancestors were brought here from Africa. It's a big place yanno, with lots of different ethnic groups that future slaves were culled from back in the day.

For instance down here every year we have an Irish Italian day parade and a St. Patrick's Day parade. By bringin attention to and showing pride in their heritage, these ppl arn't separating themselves from other Americans at all. They are showing pride in their cultural heritage, which has nothing to do with being white.

Edited by - bigboi on 20 January 2003 15:56:34

• Sargon
    Sargon

I ifnd it bizarre for a Canadian to teach an American about their own history. Country Girl, the American Civil War was not started over the issue of equality of man. Rather the civil war began over the issue of individual state rights. The Emancipation Proclamation wasn't written until well after the start of the war.

As far as the issue of reparations go, I agree with your conclusions but not your reasoning.

• heathen
    heathen

CG- I agree with what you are trying to say but only if it isn't a joke . You can change the forum if you want to adults and disagreements . In order to progress we have to forget the injustice of the past . The government is trying to compensate for discrimination with favoritism . That does make me somewhat irritated that black people are allowed to have all black societies and such but if a white wants to exclude other races it becomes racist and some kind of hypocrisy . Freedom should contain the right to associate with whomever you want in the private sector . I was reading about the college that had alledgedly had harder exams for black applicants and this was causing a stir with the black community but guess what a white applicant cannot even apply for a united negro fund grant. The whole thing is mind boggeling with all the double standards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit