We're all Americans....Reparations?

by Country Girl 106 Replies latest social humour

• sableindian
    sableindian

Here, here, Jst_me!

I totally agree. I am of the Creek Nation. When I lived in Illinois, the Ojibwa and Potawatomi are there. I worked with and sat on the Potawatomis committee. I honored the land by performing, working and participating in the Pow Wows.

Now, I am back home in Georgia. But when I am on the land of another Nation. I recognize.

Hensci,

Sableindian

Edited by - sableindian on 21 January 2003 21:16:23

• heathen
    heathen

sableindian- interesting bit of history there. I came to my opinion while watching phil donahu and farakaun was being interviewed. I happened to catch donahu last night again and they had the people who are trying to sue a corporation that alledgedly used slave labor after the constitution was amended .It is my belief that the motive behind all of this is nothing more than greed . You cannot call it justice because the people who suffered injury aren't even alive anymore . In fact I remember reading somewhere that some people chose to remain slaves. They even had black soldiers in the confederate army .I don't see how seeking reparations now can be justified is pretty much my stand on the issue .

• jst_me
    jst_me

Heathen,

You cannot possibly think that the only ones who have suffered injury are the people who were actually held as slaves. Think about what the fact that they were kidnapped and taken from their homelands. The people that were taken were from all stations of life, all classes. Once they were on these shores they were property, they were bought and sold irregardless of any family ties that may have existed (husbands and wives seperated, children ripped from parents...)

After the slaves were freed, they had to learn ways to make a living. They were not allowed to go to school. They were not given access to the jobs that paid well, or for that matter that took advantage of their skills. Up until 40 years ago, less than a generation, it was LEGAL to put up signs that said "NO BLACKS". They got to drink from the dirty water spicket instead of the sparkling clean faucet that stood right next to it. They were not allowed to eat at restaurants.

Less than 40 years ago. You can go and find people who remember what it felt like to be treated that way, and it was legal, and you had to just take it.

This whole site is dedicated to helping people get over the trauma of being involved in a cult-like religion. We sit here and share our stories, we validate the fact that we have been harmed and left behind the rest of the population because of what happened to us. Slavery, the Jim Crow laws that followed, and the residual bigotry and hatred that remain was a far worse trauma to have as a legacy. Please believe that this movement for reparations is more of a desperate attempt to do something....anything...to try and get people an even start than it ever was about greed.

• jst_me
    jst_me

sableindian,

My mom's family is from North Ga (we are tsalagi).

What do yout think about the powwows there? :) I am going to try to come to the big one they have up north of Atlanta, I think it is in Nov

• heathen
    heathen

jst_me - I don't see it that way at all . I would like to see money spent to help all peoples in this US not just some group they designate as minority. To say that black people are the only ones hurting in todays world is without merit . There are serious problems with poverty in all ethnic groups to say that only blacks are entiteled to special programs and such is just another form of descrimination .

• bigboi
    bigboi

Heathen:

I don't think that anyone is saying that Black ppl are the only ones hurting today.

Rather, Black ppl's plight in this country has been and continues to be a unique experience. I'm pretty sure all groups tht came to this country encountered some type hardship when they came here. Yet, none of their experiences compares to the almost continual and systemic adversity that Black ppl have endured here. Some Blacks are lobbying this cause because they feel that our experience are unique and maybe they deserve and unique resolution. Also, nothing is wrong with Black ppl lobbying for what they feel might help to improve their situation. Organizations representing the interests of specific groups do it all the time. It may not be an answer, but at least starting the discussion and having an open dialogue will help bring about some realizations and solutions.

• sableindian
    sableindian

" It is my belief that the motive behind all of this is nothing more than greed . You cannot call it justice because the people who suffered injury aren't even alive anymore "

Heathen,

you are not alone in your thinking. But to think that a slave who WAS affected DID NOT affect their children and grandchildren shows a bit of ignorance. And to think these people who are not alive when these slaves or ex-slaves were alive, think again. I house a man who was born in 1911. He lived with his great grands down to his parents. He always lived in small town, Georgia. I hate for him to tell me some of the things he remembers.

Whites are just as needy. There reparation should be truth. How many Whites know that they enslaved Christians, Jews and Muslims along with other indigenous groups of Africa? It was shown a little in "Roots" by showing Kunta Kente as a Muslim. But what White person went away from that film thinking, "Man, Kente was a Muslim. Hey! He already KNEW about Christ. He already KNEW how to read."

"The people who suffered injury aren't even alive anymore??" You wish!

• sableindian
    sableindian

Hensci, Jst_me!

My first husband was Tsalagi. And none of my kids (7) look like me. (The Tsalagi curse! )

Please let me know when the Atlanta Pow Wow is. If I hear anything I will let you know. I have not been to PowWow since I have been in GA. I hear the Seminoles (aka Hutschi also) are having a big one in Florida in February. Visit my web page.

http://members.blackplanet.com/autumnlibra/

I try to post things in my guestbook. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Do you like frybread...can you make it? I love frybread and honey. And corn and honey and flat bread tacos....I miss my gramma!

• sableindian
    sableindian

it was LEGAL to put up signs that said "NO BLACKS"

There was a sign in Schreven County that said "N..... read and run" Stayed up until the 70s. There are people walking around in this small town, Black AND White who know people who were lynched for just looking at someone. (No wonder you saw capable Black men with their heads down)

I'm in the process of writing down some of the things, including names and places, the old folks talk about. Many Blacks have been tortured for the slightest thing by..."Christians". And don't let me start talking about the Indigenous folk in America. Mind boggling.

• heathen
    heathen

sableindian- To my knowledge no one was a victim of slavery in the 20 th century . True that in some southern states there was extreme persecution of black people due to hate groups not due to a government conspiracy . Now if you can get the groups such as the KKK to pay up that's a different story .I am saying that I don't think my tax money should be spent in funding special interest groups over an issue that happened in the 1800's .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit