We're all Americans....Reparations?

by Country Girl 106 Replies latest social humour

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Personally, all of you whites can keep your goddamned "reparations". I made it through this world with my own two hardworking hands and my brains, and that's how I aim to keep on making it. I don't want shit from any white so-called "American", ever. Some days I don't think I'd care if I never saw another white person again.

Nice to see that racism is alive and well and not the sole preserve of any particular skin color or national boundary.

HS

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

(1) (a)Who was offered 40 acres and a mule and (b)did the agent making the offer have the legal authority to make the offer?

Answer: Major General William T. Sherman offered 40 acres to family heads of families who were owned as slaves along the coasts of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. The order made no mention of mules at all; the addition of the mule as part of the tale is considered either a myth or a result of Sherman or Union Army distributing mules in an altruistic act not connected with the execution of the order. The order was never concrete in nature, was never supported by any act or bill before congress, and did not even acquire Presidential approval prior to execustion. Johnson revoked the order after the assassination of President Lincoln. Sherman did not have the authority to grant land to any entities in the name of the United States of America.

(2) Was W.E.B. Du Bois in favor of or opposed to integration of blacks?

Answer: He was opposed to integration. Vehemently opposed, not surprisingly. He was vehemently opposed or in favor of most things. Vehemency typified his communication style. I told you he was a hero of mine, right?

(3) Was W.E.B. Du Bois in favor of or opposed to repatriation to Africa?

Answer: Vehemently opposed. Oddly enough, although Marcus Garvey (repatriation's chief proponent) never lived on the continent of Africa, W.E.B. Du Bois lived there for many years prior to his death—he was said to be the first citizen of Africa.

(4) How many blacks ("Negroes" at the time) were on the original board of the NAACP?

Answer: I don't know. I can't seem to find out (a deep, white secret? ). But I have read articles and letters written by Du Bois that stress his vehement frustration over the whiteness of composition in the leadership of the NAACP. I have written the NAACP a letter requesting the information. Perhaps they will respond. I tried not to be vehement.

(5) Why did W.E.B. Du Bois leave the NAACP and his long time editorship of Crisis?

Answer: Irresolvable ideological differences between the leadership and Du Bois; the most recent point of vehement contention at the tim e of his resignation being the NAACP's position of advocacy in favor of integration (see #2 above).

In case anyone was wondering whether there were answers.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you Auld. Reminds me of some lighter blacks who wouldn't let darker blacks in to some social clubs because they didn't pass the paper bag test. Could it be that Du Bois was complaining of the lightness instead of whiteness?

Josie

• Mary
    Mary
    Mrs. Jones said: Reminds me of some lighter blacks who wouldn't let darker blacks in to some social clubs because they didn't pass the paper bag test.

Um, okay, first of all, what is "the paper bag test"? And second of all, are you serious about "lighter blacks" discriminating against "darker blacks"? What the hell is that all about?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm serious. It happened and I hope that it's not still going on. My own family (on my father's side, they happened to be very light) treated my mother rather badly because of her dark skin.

The "brown paper bag test" was a ritual once practiced by certain African-Americansororities and fraternities who discriminated against people who were "too dark." That is, these groups would not let anyone into the sorority or fraternity whose skin tone was darker than a paper lunch sack. Spike Lee's film School Daze satirizes this practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorism
  • AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Mary,

She is not kidding. Sad. Still goes on. But then, high-yellow is not in the "in crowd" either.

mrsjones5,

Could it be that Du Bois was complaining of the lightness instead of whiteness?

No. He knew the difference. There is no question that there were at least three whites on the original Board, but there is no direct mention (that I have found) of any original board members who were "colored", "Negro", or black. They didn't know the term "African-American" back then.

The size of the first Board is also a tough thing to find. There were 32 black members of the Niagara Movement and almost all became members of the NAACP, but there is no record I can find of them serving on the Board initially.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"God is colored, blind, and so am I"

Ray Charles as channeled by Sixofnine.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I got a question: Why is this topic under "Jokes & Humor"?

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary, She is not kidding. Sad. Still goes on. But then, high-yellow is not in the "in crowd" either.

OK, I guess I'm dumber than I thought cause I'm not familiar with alot of these terms.....what the hell is "high-yellow"? Someone who's half black and half white? Geeze, I actually wish my skin was a bit darker....I fry to a crisp every summer and turn lobster red if I go out in the sun without at least a Number 30 sunscreen on........

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

lol Mary, you crack me up.

High yellow is a term for a very light-skinned African-American sharing Caucasian ancestry. The term was in common use in the United States at the end of the 19th century and the early decades of the 20th century, and appears in many popular songs of the era, such as The Yellow Rose of Texas.

"High" derives from the fact that these individuals were so light skinned, they could often pass for white and were thought by some to be better than darker skinned African-Americans. Indeed, many high yellows are not obviously black, but may be thought to be black, Hispanic, Jewish, Middle Eastern, Southern European/Mediterranean, or other ancestries. Most now regard the term as an insult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_yellow

I don't know about the insult part, it's a term not used much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit