The Trinity

by meadow77 740 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Meadow77 said:

why do you not remember God referring to himself as I Am to Moses. Please tell me if you still do not think this ever took place and I will locate the passage for you

Exodus 3:13: And Moses said to God, Behold, when I come to the children of Israel, and shall say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you", then they shall say to me, "What is His Name?", then what shall I say to them?
    Exodus 3:14: And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM", and He said, Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you."

John 8:57: Then the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and You have seen Abraham?"
    John 8:58: Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I AM."
    John 8:59: Then they took up stones to cast at Him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the Temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

John 18:3: Judas then, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, comes near with lanterns and torches and weapons.
    John 18:4: Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon Him, went forth, and said to them, "Whom do you seek?"
    John 18:5: They answered Him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I AM." And Judas also, who betrayed Him, stood with them.
    John 18:6: Then, as soon as He had said to them, "I AM", they went backward, and fell to the ground.
    John 18:7: Then He asked them again, "Whom do you seek?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."
    John 18:8: Jesus answered, "I have told you that I AM: if therefore you seek Me, let these go their way"

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 28 November 2002 5:26:6

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Also, here is an interesting Scripture that a lot of people try to use to prove that Jesus is not God:

Matthew 19:16: And, behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"
    Matthew 19:17: And He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? There is no one good except One, that is, God: but if you want to enter into life, keep the Commandments.

But, check out the following Scripture, and see what Jesus declares about who He is:

John 10:11: I am the Good Shepherd: the Good Shepherd gives His Life for the sheep.

John 10:14: I am the Good Shepherd, and I know My sheep, and My sheep know Me.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Undisfellowshiped

Come on now, Jesus referring to himself as the Good Shepherd is hardly a claim to be God!. That is way too big a stretch.

Edited by - Navigator on 28 November 2002 6:17:57

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Jesus said that the ONLY ONE who had the right to have the Title "Good" was GOD.

Then, later, Jesus claims the Title "Good" for Himself.

You yourself Navigator, are the one who showed me that Matthew Scripture to try and show that Jesus was not God because Jesus said that only God can have the Title "Good".

Anyway, this Verse is definitely not the reason I believe in the Trinity.

I will post more here as soon as I can.

The Revelation Chapter 5 Scriptures I posted earlier here, those show that Jesus (the Lamb) receives EQUAL WORSHIP with the Father.

Edited by - UnDisfellowshipped on 28 November 2002 6:26:59

• herk
    herk

Edited by - herk on 28 November 2002 9:6:0

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Undis,

You yourself Navigator, are the one who showed me that Matthew Scripture to try and show that Jesus was not God because Jesus said that only God can have the Title "Good".

Yes, and I understood that Jesus was therefore accepting the title "good."

Spanner

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Sorry to disillussion the trintiarians, but Exodus 3:14 and John 8:58 hardly offer proof of anything. Was it not a trinitarian just yesterday saying scriptures must be read in context? The context of the account of John 8:58 clearly shows he was addressing existing before Abraham, not a decalration of being God.

As for Exodus 3:14, since it was written in Hebrew, I turned to a Jewish Rabbi for an explanation of it. "Most moderns follow Rashi in rendering 'I will be what I will be'; i.e. no words can sum up all that He will be to His people, but His everlasting faithfulness and unchanging mercy will more and more manifest themselves in the guidance of Israel. The answer which Moses receives in these words is thus equivalent to, "I shall save in the way that I shall save.' It is to assure the Israelites of the fact of deliverance, but does not disclose the manner. It must suffice the Israelites to learn that 'Ehyeh, I WILL BE (with you), hath sent me unto you.'

The message Moses gave to the Israelites had nothing to do with abstract or obtuse theology (which would have meant nothing to an enslaved people), but instead told his people about the new creation God was going to do -- liberate a people from bondage Gods own being affirms life and existence. He will not allow those forces that are destructive to reduce the Jewish people to nothing. (Sefornos Commentary to the Torah) Gods magisterial power over creation was soon going to be unleashed against a government that would deconstruct its policies of exploitation and oppression. Moses words had little to do with being as an abstraction but had everything to do with the process of becoming.

In my opinion, of all the translations that speak to the heart of the matter, I think Bubers translation is the best of the group. From Bubers understanding we may deduce God assured Moses, that He would always be present in the life of His people; He has not abandoned them, for even as they suffer, so too, does Gods Shechina -- the feminine aspect of Divinity.. God promised Moses that He and would bring about a new beginning for a suffering people." from the traditional translation and explanation I have from the Hertz Pentateuch for Ex. 3:14. (sorry, but the Rabbi who emailed me back did not give their name.)

I have always seen this as really grasping at straws to justify their triune god. The two scriptures have little bearing on each other than similar wording in the Greek Septuagent. If we are to believe that Jesus' usage of the Greek ego eimi at John 8:58 is his declaring himself God, then we must also accept that the formerly blind beggar at John 9:9 was declaring himself God.

Scholars are hardly in agreement on the traditional translations of the two scriptures cited either.

As for Jesus saying he and the Father are one shows him to be God, then you must also accept other renderings of those being one with Christ as also being God;

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
    22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
    Romans 12:5 so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. (RSV)

1 Corinthians 6:17 But he who is united to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. (RSV)

1 John 3:24 All who keep his commandments abide in him, and he in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he has given us. (RSV)

John 14:20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. (RSV)

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (RSV)

What does being one really mean in the scriptures?

1 Corinthians 1:10 I appeal to you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. (RSV)

*IF* Jesus being one with the Father makes him God, then it is only logical that the Apostles being one with Jesus and God are also God!

And still, no one explains how Jesus calls another the ONLY true God, yet is still God, and there only be one God! I find it curious indeed, in order to justify their doctrine, they actually strive to discredit or obscure Jesus' very own words, yet also claim to follow him and worship him.

Another point they often gloss over is Jesus being placed in subjection to God after he hands all things to God.

1 Corinthians 15:27. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
    28. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all. (KJV)

This alone shows Jesus is not equal to God and clearly shows them to be two separate and distinct individuals. One cannot be subject to another and still be equal.

Page 6,7; "Trinitarian dogma is one of the great enigmas of our time. The fact that it defies both conventional logic and rational explanation does not seem to diminish the Trinitarians desire to protect at all costs his complex theological formula. We are puzzled at the agitation that is created when the Trinity is questioned. This seems to point to a lack of confidence in what is claimed to be the unquestionable party line of virtually all Christian ministers. The common branding of all objectors as unbelievers does nothing to reassure us." Page 11; "One of the strongest arguments against it [the trinity] is that it cannot be expressed without abandoning biblical language." ( The Doctrine of the Trinity: Christianity's Self Inflicted Wound, 1998, Anthony F. Buzzard, Charles F. Hunting, International Scholars Publications)

Lew W

• herk
    herk

Undisfellowshipped,

You constantly put on display the mentality of a Trinitarian. Instead of dealing with what's already been presented, you constantly inject new material into the discussion. It's as if you're saying, "Well, that didn't convince them. Maybe they're right after all, and I'm wrong. So I'll throw a whole bunch of other unrelated stuff at them. Maybe I'll eventually get it right."

Unlike you, I'll deal with each of the texts you've presented, something I wish you had the courage and honesty to do:

Revelation 5:8 - The Greek word for "fell down" simply means just that. Never does it mean "worship." That's shown by the fact that the word for worship is sometimes used along with it. (See verse 14.) For example, "Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him." (Acts 10:25) Numerous times people "fell down" before Jesus when they needed his services or he performed some miracle in their behalf. They did this in front of crowds of Jews. If what they did was actual worship, Jesus would have been stoned right on the spot for allowing others to treat him as God. In their minds it would have been extreme blasphemy. Daniel 2:46 says, "Then the king Nebuchadnezzar fell upon his face, and worshipped Daniel, and commanded that they should offer an oblation and sweet odours unto him." Was Daniel God? Of course not. The Hebrew and Greek words often translated as "worship" also have the simple meaning of paying "homage" or "deep respect" for another human. Other translations bring out that meaning.

Revelation 5:9 - The Lamb "purchased for God" people of every nation. Did he purchase them for himself or for God? When you purchase something for someone else, you are obviously not that someone else.

Revelation 5:10 - The Lamb made priests for God, not for himself. The elders and creatures in heaven are obviously not addressing the Lamb as God. Instead, they praise him for what he has done for God, not for himself.

Revelation 5:11 - The One sitting upon the throne that is surrounded by the angels is not the Lamb. It is God. (Verses 1, 13)

Revelation 5:12 - The Lamb is said to be worthy to "receive." What does he "receive"? "Riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing." Does he "receive" these wonderful things from creatures? No. He receives them from God. Only God could grant him such things, and therefore the Lamb is not God. He receives from God just as other persons also do.

Revelation 5:13 - Again the creatures in heaven speak to God, not to the Lamb, when they say the Lamb is worthy to receive from God. Showing that the Lamb and God are not one and the same, the verse is addressed "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb"

Revelation 5:14 - The verse doesn't say who they worshipped. Surely, as shown by verse 11, it is God, the one seated upon the throne that they surround.

Now, Undisfellowshipped, will you return to these verses and try to show that my conclusions are wrong? I really doubt it. You have the habit of simply moving on and introducing something new, as if what you already wrote needs no analysis, as if it's some sacred pronouncement from heaven that can't be disputed. That is no way to engage in a discussion where each side is in a position to possibly learn from and be corrected by the other.

Herk

• herk
    herk

Dakota,

You wrote to SwedishChef:

Every scripture you believe supports your theory has been blown away, numerous times. And still you keep a blind eye and revert right back to them.

How right you are. This hits the nail on the head as to why it's almost impossible to reason with Trinitarians.

Herk

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Herk, the problem you are having is that you place a much more restrictive sense on the word worship (proskuneo) than the original authors did long ago. There is no one single English word that adequately conveys the broader meaning of proskuneo today. Even when the King James was written, the English word worship held a much less restrictive sense that we place on it today.

Lew W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit