The Trinity

by meadow77 740 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

SwedishChef,

Now that's funny. I answered a comment that you disagreed with and you cannot refute that now that you have been challenged but simply brushed it off. Nice work. Why not do that first if my work is so unbiblical? I took your arguments down over 20 years ago in a document of over 50 pages called Beyond Trinitarianism found on my web site. Why should I keep repeating myself over and over? Trinitarianism is not the truth and you cannot defend it.

Joseph

Edited by - JosephMalik on 27 November 2002 22:8:55

• herk
    herk

SwedishChef,

You wrote:

I would love to know how I took any of these verse out of context.

Let's start with the first 5 passages you supplied. You seem eager to get away from them and eager to move on, even though you haven't proved a thing by mentioning them.

• 1 Timothy 3:16 - You said this is one of "countless" texts that prove Jesus is God. Your reason is that some translations say: "God was manifest in the flesh." However, Bruce M. Metzger wrote in his Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament: "No uncial (in the first hand) earlier than the eigth or ninth century ... supports [theos]; all ancient versions presuppose [hos] or [ho]; and no patristic writer prior to the last third of the fourth century testifies to the reading [theos]." Today, most translations show their disagreement with the KJV by omitting any reference to "God" in this text. How do you answer this, SwedishChef? Simply by ignoring it? This is the first text you introduced to prove Jesus is God. How can we accept your interpretation of any other text if you choose to ignore the facts here? So, what is your response? And what scholarly support do you have?
    • Revelation 1:8 - It is plain from simply reading this verse that the Father, not Jesus, is the Alpha and Omega and the Lord God Almighty. Jesus is never called the Lord God Almighty. How do you answer this, SwedishChef? Are you going to simply ignore the truth? Surely you had a reason for citing this verse! Why not show us how it proves your point. Or, could it be that you have no proof, after all?
    • Genesis 1:26 - Trinitarians and JWs say that God was speaking here to Christ. However, the Jews have long held that God was speaking to "all the army of the heavens standing by him, to his right and to his left." (1 Ki 22:19-22; Job 38:7) So, how does this in any way "prove" that Jesus is God? How do you answer this, SwedishChef? Jesus said concerning the Jews, "we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews." (John 4:22) Why do you choose to give preference to trinitarians who were not Jews and who came along centuries later with a different interpretation than the Jews had?
    • Matthew 28:19 - This verse simply mentions the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It says nothing about them being God or equal persons within the Godhead. How do you answer this, SwedishChef? Or, as in all the examples above, are you unable to give an answer?
    • 1 John 5:7 - Up above, Navigator gave a fine explanation of why this verse is not found in all the better translations. Why do you choose to ignore something so vital to knowing the truth about God and Christ? How do you answer this, SwedishChef? Could it be you have no answer?

You want us to move on and treat as credible whatever else you have to say. How can we? What basis have you given us to believe that you are a sincere truthseeker? The Bible is plain and simple, yet you prefer to give it a trinitarian twist. Abraham was not a trinitarian. Neither were Moses, David, John the Baptist or Jesus. You can only wish that they were, since you haven't got a single piece of evidence that will stand up under scrutiny.

Herk

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    This passage is, of course, a prophecy about the coming Messiah Jesus Christ. Notice that the Lord (Jehovah) and the redeemer, the Lord (Jevovah), speak as one. For they are the same person. The last sentence can address John 17:3. The Lord (Jehovah) SENDS the Lord (Jevovah) to dwell among His people.

You say, the Lord Jehovah sends the Lord Jehovah and wish all to believe your mysterious three in one is still only one? Sorry, you have given an excellent example of polytheism, no matter what smoke and mirrors you use.

I believe that is enough explanation.

And a pretty lame one at that. All the smoke and mirrors and misinterpreted scriptures still add up to either three gods or three persons to make the one god. Every scripture you believe supports your theory has been blown away, numerous times. And still you keep a blind eye and revert right back to them.

"... the doctrine of the Trinity is an adult theological myth. Christianity condemns the world for imposing the unproved theory of evolution on mankind. But orthodoxy imposes something equally problematic: a multiple-person God." (Sidney A. Hatch, B.A. (UCLA), M.Div. (American Baptist Seminary of the West), Th. M. (Dallas Theological Seminary; from the forward in "The Doctrine of the Trinity: Christianity's Self-inflicted Wound.)

Lew W

• meadow77
    meadow77

Hello again. It seems this thread has taken on a life of its own since Ive been gone. I know I promised a response yesterday, but as the holidays are fast aproaching I have been unable to respond. I hate to rehash a million things which have already been debated, so I will respond the best I can to what Herk and I were discussing earlier. I would like to say first that my intention here is not to offend or alienate. I think its possible for us to discuss our disagreements and not end up as foes. At least I hope this is possible. So herk here goes nothing.

The first thing I want to say is to fully understand what I believe about the trinity, a person must understand that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are believed to be three separate entities. They are three persons in one God. Therefor there is no confusion when we see them in different roles, this does not negate diety. As an example the bible tells us that a man shall leave his family and become one with his wife. We dont understand this to mean that a man and woman can no longer exist independent of one another, but they are of one spirit.

Also one of the problems I find with the beliefs of the JWs concerning Jesus, is that he is Micheal the archangel. However there are no scriptures that support this statement. The NWT mentions Micheal the archangel several places, but never as Jesus. Micheal the archangel is described as one of the foremost princes, however Jesus Christ is Lord of Lords and King of Kings. And unlike "Micheal who did not dare condemn the devil with insulting words, but said, The Lord rebuke you!"(Jude 9) Jesus Christ displayed his authority over the devil when he commanded "Go away Satan!"(Mathew 4:10) The verse in 1 Thessalonians 4:16 is often given as an argument for Jesus being Micheal the Archangel. However in this passage the expression "with an archangels voice" simply means that the archangel, like the Gods trumpet will herald the coming of the Lord. Scripture points to Jesus being superior to angels, not to him being an angel. Angels in the bible refuse worship, but Gods command regarding Jesus is "Let all Gods angels worship him." So if He is not an angel than who is He?

The main point I was tying to make about John 1:1 is that if we accept the translation of "a god" than we agree to the creation of a second lesser god. When I said that JWs can quote scripure about there being only one true God from sun up until sun down, I wasnt trying to be disrespectful. I apologize if that was offensive. The only point I was trying to make was that the JWs as well as other christians recognize that there is only one true God. So there can be no lesser secondary god, as there would have to be if we accept this rendition of John 1:1. Also we are told when Jesus is born that he will be among other things, known as a Mighty God. Again, if we do not acknowledge Christs diety, than we have to admit to a second lesser god. One of Jesuss names was Emmanuel, literally God is with us.

You make a correct assumption when you state that I am not an expert in Greek. However there are aexperts on the subject who do not agree that John 1:1 cannot be adequatly translated. I have quotes one such source below to illustrate the point I was trying to make about John 1:1.

2. John 1:1. "In the beginning [or "origin," Greek, ] was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . "
    Contrary to the translations of The Emphatic Diaglott and the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, the Greek grammatical construction leaves no doubt whatsoever that this is the only possible rendering of the text. The subject of the sentence is Word , the verb was. There can be no direct object following "was" since according to grammatical usage intransitive verbs take no objects but take instead predicate nominatives, which refer back to the subjectin this case, Word . In fact, the late New Testament Greek scholar Dr. E. C. Colwell formulated a rule that clearly states that a definite predicate nominative (in this case, God) never takes an article when it precedes the verb (was), as we find in John 1:1. It is therefore easy to see that no article is needed for (God), and to translate it "a god" is both incorrect grammar and poor Greek since is the predicate nominative of was in the third sentence-clause of the verse and must refer back to the subject, Word . Christ, if He is the Word "made flesh" (John 1:14), can be no one else except God unless the Greek text and consequently Gods Word be denied.
    Jehovahs Witnesses, in an appendix in their New World Translation (pp. 773777), attempt to discredit the proper translation on this point, for they realize that if Jesus and Jehovah are "One" in nature, their theology cannot stand since they deny that unity of nature. The refutation of their arguments on this point is conclusive.
    The claim is that since the definite article is used with in John 1:1b and not with in John 1:1c, therefore the omission is designed to show a difference; the alleged difference being that in the first case the one true God (Jehovah) is meant, while in the second "a god," other than and inferior to the first, is meant, this latter "god" being Jesus Christ.
    On page 776 the claim is made that the rendering "a god" is correct because "all the doctrine of sacred Scriptures bears out the correctness of this rendering." This remark focuses attention on the fact that the whole problem involved goes far beyond this text. Scripture does in fact teach the full and equal deity of Christ. Why then is so much made of this one verse? It is probably because of the surprise effect derived from the show of pseudo-scholarship in the use of a familiar text. Omission of the definite article with does not mean that "a god" other than the one true God is meant. Let one examine these passages where the definite article is not used with and see if the rendering "a god" makes sense: Matthew 3:9; 6:24; Luke 1:35, 78; 2:40; John 1:6, 1213, 18; 3:2, 21; 9:16, 33; Romans 1:7, 1718; 1 Corinthians 1:30; 15:10; Philippians 2:1113; Titus 1:1, and many, many more. The "a god" contention proves too weak and is inconsistent. To be consistent in this rendering of "a god," Jehovahs Witnesses would have to translate every instance where the article is absent as "a god" (nominative), "of a god" (genitive), "to" or "for a god" (dative), etc. This they do not do in Matthew 3:9; 6:24; Luke 1:35, 78; John 1:6, 1213, 18; Romans 1:7, 17, etc.
    You cannot honestly render "a god" in John 1:1, and then render "of God" (Jehovah) in Matthew 3:9, Luke 1:35, 78; John 1:6, etc., when is the genitive case of the same noun (second declension), without an article and must be rendered (following Jehovahs Witnesses argument) "of a god" not "of God" as both The Emphatic Diaglott and New World Translation put it. We could list at great length, but suggest consultation of the Greek New Testament by either D. Erwin Nestle or Westcott and Hort, in conjunction with The Elements of Greek by Francis Kingsley Ball on noun endings, etc. Then if Jehovahs Witnesses must persist in this fallacious "a god" rendition, they can at least be consistent, which they are not, and render every instance where the article is absent in the same manner. The truth of the matter is that Jehovahs Witnesses use and remove the articular emphasis whenever and wherever it suits their fancy, regardless of grammatical laws to the contrary. In a translation as important as Gods Word, every law must be observed. Jehovahs Witnesses have not been consistent in their observances of those laws.

I can understand how you could feel that my argument concerning the holy spirit was weak, but I was simply trying to point out that the holy spirit is never described as an inactive force. The Holy Spirit is given characteristics, and a specific outlined task. The Holy Spirit is supposed to teach. The Holy Spirit has to be an entity in order to do such a thing.

You say that Rev. makes no reference to Jesus being the Alpha and Omega, but my bible which is not a red letter bible states "Don not be afraid.I am the first and the last. I am the one who lives;I was dead,but look, I am alive forever and ever."Rev. 1:17-18

The passage you mentioned in Rev. does not say that the Jews will worship members of the church, it says he will make them bow before you. There is a difference. This simply states that the Jews will be forced into a submissive position to others because they denied christ, not that they will worship anyone else. I would still like to hear your thoughts on why Jesus would accept worship, despite verses which warn us that are God is a jealous God, and alone should be worshiped.

You say it is only my imagination that Christ was killed for blasphemy. You must be aware that God announced himself to Moses in the old testement as "I AM" This was Known to the Jews as the true name of God. As precious to them as the Jehovah of the Witnesses. So when Jesus said before Abraham, I Am, the Jews understood him to be calling himself God. Not only this but we know the Jews were legalists. They had specific laws that had to be abided by. They believed their eternal salvation rested on following these laws remember. The only things given as offenses for which a person could be put to death were 1.Familiar Spirits.2. Blasphemy 3.False prophets who lead to idolatry 4.stubborn and rebellious son 5.adultery and rape. Christ was clearly not guilty of any of these, however the only ones the jews could have possibly accused him of was blasphemy.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

JosephMalik said,

Now that's funny. I answered a comment that you disagreed with and you cannot refute that now that you have been challenged but simply brushed it off.

You are so right, whenever you make good points, these Christain fundimentalists just ignore you. Its like throwing "pearls before swine".

Will

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Here's some advice for any Jehovah's [false] Witnesses: turn your back on the Watchtower and place your trust on the Word of God and what it has to say about the Lord Jesus Christ.

Oh please, can someone inform this one, who apparenty has deep seated problems with comprehension, that we are mostly exjehovahs witnesses who haev already rejected the Watchtower? Should we return to the quagmire of mind control that they have fallen into?

Can you all say A-P-O-S-T-A-T-E?

Lew W

• herk
    herk

Meadow77,

If the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three separate entities as well as three separate persons, they simply have to be three separate Gods. There is nothing in human experience and nothing in the Scriptures that is so unscientific and so contrary to reason. You gave the example of a man and his wife. While they become one in marriage, they remain two separate humans and two separate persons. Their persons are not made into one human being. So, the very idea of the Trinity is totally absurd. One + one + one always equals three, never just one.

God is never addressed in the Bible as they, but always as he. He never calls himself us or we, but always I or I myself.

I am not a JW, and I agree their teaching that Jesus is Michael has no support in the Scriptures. But I find it interesting that trinitarians like to make an issue of this. They do the same thing. For example, three angels visited Abraham, and since one of them is called the Lord, Trinitarians say that the angel was Christ. An angel visited Joshua and called himself the commander of the army of the Lord. (Joshua 5:14) Often Trinitarians will say that the angel was none other than Christ. So trinitarians and JWs are really showing inconsistency and dishonesty when they criticize each other on that count.

Trinitarians really shouldnt criticize JWs on the matter of a second lesser god either. As I mentioned above, Trinitarians really believe in three Gods, though they wont admit it. They speak of God the Father (1), God the Son (2) and God the Holy Spirit (3). Still, in their minds, there are not three Gods, but only one. So, can you understand why both Trinitarians and JWs leave the rest of us scratching our heads in amazement?

Its not my intention to belittle you in any way. Yet, I have to call your attention to some ideas that you and other Trinitarians are hung up on. Your concepts of the terms god, lord and worship are not Bible concepts.

The Scriptures tell us there is only one Almighty God. (1 Corinthians 8:4) The Father is the only true God (John 17:3). He alone is the one and only God. (John 5:44) But, according to Jesus, others may be called gods. He asked his Jewish opponents, "If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'? (John 10:35, 36) Jesus was here referring to Psalm 82:6 where the judges of Israel are addressed as gods. They were gods because they represented God. They spoke for him, and their message was to be treated as if it came from God himself, for indeed it had. In that same sense Jesus is God. If the judges of ancient Israel were worthy to bear that title, he was entitled to it even more so.

Similarly, angels were often called the Lord or Jehovah. That was because they were to be viewed as if God himself were present and speaking. And so, just because Jesus is called Lord, that does not make him Almighty God. As you pointed out, he is called Mighty God, but never Almighty God, a title reserved for the Father alone.

Worship in Scripture is offered not only to God but to human persons who hold positions of dignity. The point is obscured in translation by the fact that the Greek verb proskuneo is translated into English as worship of God but doing obeisance to humans. According to the meaning in Hebrew, the king of Israel was to be worshipped in association with God. (1 Chronicles 29:20) Daniel was worshipped. (Daniel 2:46) In Greek the situation is the same. The original word translated as worship is sometimes translated into English as bow down to or do obeisance to. (Revelation 3:9) Jesus is worshipped as Messiah, but only one person, the Father, is worthy of worship as God. It is highly significant that another Greek word, latreuo, which is used of religious service only, is applied exclusively to the Father.

You are also mistaken with regard to the name Emmanuel. Yes, it literally means With us is God. But that does not mean that he was the incarnation of God. It was a common practice among Jews to embody the word God, even Jehovah, in Hebrew names. Today Emmanuel is the proper name of many men, none of whom are incarnations of God.

The birth of "Immanuel" was intended as a sign for Ahaz. A comparison of Isaiah 7:16 with 8:1-4 and Isaiah 7:14 with 8:18 makes it apparent that Emmanuel was the name of one of Isaiahs sons, and surely he was not God.

Im familiar with Colwells rule, and I agree that the New World Translation has it wrong at John 1:1. But I can guarantee you that most other translations also have it wrong. All that Colwell did was show the possibility of God instead of a god. He really never proved one way or the other. So, there are a few translations that do much better than most of the others. For example, the New English Bible says, What God was, the Word was. And a modified Moffatt translation says, the Word was divine. These renderings are better because, as other scholars have pointed out, theos should not be taken as definite but instead as qualitative, thus emphasizing the nature of the Word, rather than its identity.

Jesus is not God the Father. Trinitarians call him God the Son. But what happens when you substitute God the Son for the Word? John 1:1 then says, in effect, In the beginning was God the Son, and God the Son was with God the Father, and God the Son was God the Father. Such a teaching is the heresy of Sabellianism or Modalism, making Jesus to be God the Father.

Both Trinitarians and JWs are also in error by assuming that Word should begin with a capital letter. Logos appears 36 times in Johns Gospel, but it begins with a capital W only the first 4 times, all in chapter 1. Hardly anyone ever asks why this is. Everywhere else in the New Testament logos refers to words, sayings or ideas. It should refer to the same in John 1, but Trinitarians and JWs make it into a person and say that it is the preexistent Jesus. Just as the words of God have become a book, John 1:14 shows that those same words became a man of flesh, namely, Jesus.

You make some pretty strong statements that are unprovable. For example,

There are experts on the subject who do not agree that John 1:1 cannot be adequately translated.
    The Greek grammatical construction leaves no doubt whatsoever that this is the only possible rendering of the text.
    Christ, if He is the Word made flesh (John 1:14), can be no one else except God unless the Greek text and consequently Gods Word be denied.

There are plenty of people who know better, and they would express themselves much more cautiously than you have ventured to do.

You also pretend to be a mind reader in attempting to explain why the New World Translation doesnt agree with trinitarianism. You wrote: Jehovahs Witnesses, in an appendix in their New World Translation (pp. 773777), attempt to discredit the proper translation on this point, for they realize that if Jesus and Jehovah are One in nature, their theology cannot stand since they deny that unity of nature. I think such a statement is mere guesswork at best and sheer presumptuousness at worst. There are several scholars who see just as much validity in the NWT rendering as what they see in translations produced by Trinitarians.

So, you jump to the conclusion: The refutation of their arguments on this point is conclusive. It is nothing of the kind. It is absurd to state, as if you really know, that the NWT is a product of pseudo-scholarship. Only a trinitarian would say that, simply because it doesnt support his own speculative theology.

Its quite obvious that you havent done your own thinking on John 1:1, 2. As I read your explanation it became plain to see that you were merely copying from what another Trinitarian had written. I urge you, Meadow77, to read and study the Bible without the influence of other dogmatic men. Otherwise, you become almost as much in bondage as the JWs. As you read, you should think and pray. Let the Bible speak to you personally. Stop letting other blind persons lead you astray with pagan teachings such as the Trinity, doctrines that are ridiculous on their own merit and that are not found in the Bible at all.

Your argument for the personality of the Holy Spirit is still very weak. The Bible often speaks of the spirit as the power of God. We ourselves have a dominant spirit that motivates us and urges us to action. With enthusiasm and gusto we accomplish much more than we can with no energy and when we are listless. God is a God of dynamic energy, and to describe that driving force by which he accomplishes all things as his spirit is most appropriate.

You make too much of an issue about Jesus being the first and the last. The first and the last what? Do you really know what he means? Are you suggesting he was the first to come into existence and the last person who will exist? God is without beginning and without end, so anyone who is the first and the last is not necessarily God.

Pardon me for laughing under my breath, but how did you come up with the idea that I AM is Gods true name according to the Jews? Neither in ancient times nor in modern times have the Jews been known to speak of God as the great I AM. Again, the influence of other persons rather than the Bible itself is manifesting itself in what you believe and say.

And no matter how you try to reason it out, the Bible nowhere states that Jesus was executed for blasphemy. That is a Trinitarian idea, pure and simple, totally unsupported by a single passage of Scripture. Men were paid to speak against Jesus, yet none were reported to have said that he claimed to be God. Really!!!

Please understand that I havent responded to your post with an attitude of ridicule. Nevertheless, it is very noticeable that your train of thought isnt coming from the heart. Its so plain to me that, just like the JWs, you are simply repeating what other men have told you to think and speak.

Herk

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Herk, the Bible says that a Husband (One Person) and a Wife (Another Person), will become ONE.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

There is so much misunderstanding about the Trinity in this Thread.

The Number One Rule before getting into a debate about the Trinity is that you make sure and understand just what the Doctrine of the Trinity is.

I will try to post here more info soon.

And, I just wanted to let everyone know, that if it ever seems like I'm ignoring anyone's comments, because I don't reply, that is not the case.

I have been so busy, that sometimes I haven't gotten to reply on certain Threads until weeks later.

• herk
    herk

Undisfellowshipped,

So what is your point? I already dealth with this above. Are you saying that a husband and wife become one literal person in one literal body? I stated above that even though they may be one in spirit and unity of mind, they are still two entitities and two persons. So there is no comparison with the pagan idea of a Trinity. The Trinity teaches that there are three Persons in the One God. Your comparison with a husband and wife would mean that your concept of the Trinity is really three Gods - polytheism!

Herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit