The Trinity

by meadow77 740 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IronGland
    IronGland

I hope I didn't sound like I was attacking you. Just pointing my issues with it all.

• IronGland
    IronGland

What sources other than the Bible would one come across christian belief barry?

• barry
    barry

Irongland the tradition of the church is the first scource of christian beleif after all the bible is a product of tradition, Barry

• barry
    barry

Tradition determined which books should be included in the Bible or am I missing something here. Barry

• meadow77
    meadow77

No Iron, I didn't feel like you were attacking me at all, just responding to herk.

• meadow77
    meadow77

Barry-where do you get your info about the nicean creed?

• IronGland
    IronGland

Yeah, I understand how the Bible as we know it came about. Perhaps I misunderstood you. When you said " Argueing christian beleif from the bible only is the wrong way to go", I thought you were implying there was some other way to become a christian. Are you Mormon?

• herk
    herk

Meadow77,

Aren't you being a bit touchy? You opened this thread with both barrels blazing. You have only yourself to blame if you're receiving criticism. Rather than be offended by it, take the opportunity to benefit from it. You will never win others to your point of view by open confrontation. Your arguments have been dealt with for centuries, so you've offered nothing profound that ought to make your readers sit up and take notice.

The JW translation of John 1:1 isn't really inferior to most other translations. Obviously you don't know Bible Greek. Therefore you are no authority on whether a rendering is a farce or not. While the JW translation might not be the most accurate, even trinitarian scholars have acknowledged that there is no translation in English that truly captures the full flavour of what John was saying in that verse.

Saying that the Holy Spirit is a person because of "person like traits" is a weak argument. A similar personification of wisdom is given in Proverbs 8:22, 30 and Luke 11:49, but that does not mean that "she" is a person. If the JWs are right, and the Holy Spirit is God's active force, then there is no problem with your argument based on Acts 5:3, 4. Lying to God or to His Spirit would amount to the same thing, since his Spirit would simply be an extension or quality of Himself.

In Revelation 1:8 the Father is both the Alpha and Omega and the Lord God Almighty. The latter title is nowhere given to Jesus, despite the attempts of some red-letter Bibles to apply this verse to Jesus.

Jesus accepted worship, but surely you must know that others did also. Consider Revelation 3:9. Jesus said to the members of the Philadelphian church: "I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee."

It is only in your imagination that Jesus was killed because of blasphemy. During his trial and execution absolutely nothing was said by anyone that would indicate that.

As I said, your arguments are weak. Humility should cause you to be less forward and more cautious when accusing others of being liars just because they don't agree with your rash judgments. I'm not one of Jehovah's Witnesses, but I wouldn't blame them if they just walked away as you tried to bombard them with such wild and unprovable statements.

Herk

• Undecided
    Undecided

I remember while back I was attending a christain church and the minister was talking about christ on the cross, then he said God was on the cross and died for mankind.

This seems stupid to me. God was talking to himself in saying,"why have you forsaken me?" while on the cross. He was dying himself so he could present himself to himself so he could forgive sinful humans he created himself by putting Adam's sin on all mankind.

Does this sound like insanity or what?

Ken P.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

If one does an indepth study on how the "holy inspired scriptures" have been translated and retranslated over the last 2 thousand years or so, they would not put much faith in the book.

Will

Edited by - william penwell on 25 November 2002 22:51:21

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit