The Trinity

by meadow77 740 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• herk
    herk

UnD,

You wrote:

The reason I said "You can only choose One", is because I was using the same argument that some people have used, when they say "Who is the Only True God, The Father or Jesus, you can only choose One".

An examination of several translations will show that Jesus cannot be viewed in John 17:3 as "the only true God."

• "to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with, and understand) You, the only true and real God, and [likewise] to know Him, Jesus [as the] Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent." (Amplified Bible)
    • "to know you, the only true God, and to know Jesus Christ, the one you sent." (Contemporary English Version)
    • "You are the only true God. If they know you, and Jesus Christ whom you sent, they will live for ever." (Worldwide English [New Testament])
    • "to know thee who alone art truly God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent." (New English Bible)
    • "that people know you, the only true God, and that they know Jesus Christ, the One you sent." (New Century Version)
    • "that they know you, the one and only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you sent." (The New Testament in Contemporary English)
    • "to know you, the only true God, and to know Jesus Christ, whom you sent." (Today's English Version)
    • "knowing you as the only true God and knowing Jesus your messenger as Christ." (The New Testament in the Language of the People)
    • "to know thee the one true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent as thy Messenger." (The Twentieth Century New Testament)

Herk

• amac
    amac

The fact that this has gone on for 37 pages says something in itself.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

This is a prime example why we as humans can't get along. We always have to be right no matter what. No wonder there is so much hate and intolerance in this world.

Will

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Amac,

Christians used to war for years and years now they are for the most part restricted only to word wars. It is a genetic thing with Christians, they must have their way say or they will just bust!

Jesus taught love, Paul taught the rules of love and Christians have been killing each other ever since. lol

IW

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Like I said way back on page 1, this is an endless argument. It has been raging for close to two thousand years now, so no, this thread will not settle it. However, I for one enjoy the exchange of ideas and appreciate seeing this thread get back to a more peaceful exchange. I seriously don't expect any to change their views to mine, but if they do, they do.

In the end, as I keep saying, the main thrust of Jesus' teachings were love of God and neighbor. In my view, the trinity teaching is false. In many others view, I am misled. Given the raging debates over this doctrine for so many centuries, I'm sure that since Jesus will do all judging of mankind, he will understand whichever way we believe and why. Which way we believe won't be as important as will whether or not we practiced love.

I just can't believe that God or Jesus is that narrow minded.

Lew W

• herk
    herk

Trinitarian and non-Trinitarian Christians have their disagreements, and sometimes we inadvertently allow ourselves to get embroiled in deep disputes, but we are united in many areas. We know, for example, who our real enemies are.

You ridiculers like to talk about love, but we've yet to see you practice it. If you had your way, your "love" would be shown up for the hatred that it really is. You showed your true colours in the Soviet Union where you banned the Bible and slaughtered millions who would not cooperate with your godless enterprise. That is what you practice as your mindless and insane definition of love. Sure, you will deny this, and you will continue to paint Christianity as evil. But you keep forgetting the fact that even Jesus said many would come in his name to whom he would show no recognition. (Matthew 7:21-23) On the other hand, there is no salvation in anyone but Jesus. Whether we believe he was the Son of God or God the Son, we're in a much better position for salvation than those who reject him and who ridicule those who speak in behalf of the cause for which he gave his life in sacrifice.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    Like I said way back on page 1, this is an endless argument. It has been raging for close to two thousand years now, so no, this thread will not settle it. However, I for one enjoy the exchange of ideas and appreciate seeing this thread get back to a more peaceful exchange. I seriously don't expect any to change their views to mine, but if they do, they do.

Exactly.

Personally, people should forget about the Trinity and God and just get out there and do good things for people. It makes a difference to humans, and if there is a God, he will look on the good deeds more positively then an argument about his particulars.

ash

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

herk wrote:

You ridiculers like to talk about love, but we've yet to see you practice it. If you had your way, your "love" would be shown up for the hatred that it really is. You showed your true colours in the Soviet Union where you banned the Bible and slaughtered millions who would not cooperate with your godless enterprise. That is what you practice as your mindless and insane definition of love.

What nonsense! What lies!

So now people who criticize Christianity are godless communists. What a lie, but really lies and name calling have been herk's trade mark.

Let me remind you of what your Lord said, a man I respect but one you claim to revere and follow: "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." Your post above was a "darkness" of the worst sort, bigotry!

I love you herk and I'm so glad you post here. You are the epitome of the reason why many have turned from Christianity and have subsequently fallen into atheism. "Christians" like you have done more harm to Christianity and the name of Jesus than any "atheist" ever could. Jesus drew people towards him with his love and honesty, you on the other hand repel people from you!

Btw, it is stupid and a grave mistake to assume that a criticizer of Christianity is an atheist, after all Christ criticized the religious hypocrites of his day also and yet he was not an atheist, neither am I.

There are many sincere and loving Christians here and I respect them, you though act more like an agent of the devil for is he not the father of the lie?

IW

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

amen, IW.

Amen to the God of Reason.

ash

• barry
    barry

Im a member of a church that is trinitarian and arian but we dont argue like this on and on forever. Im trinitarian myself and what ive noticed anti trinitarians base there arguements on a straw man in not realising trinitarians beleive that jesus was the God man fully God and fully man. The Chalcedonian defination 451ad Barry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit