The Trinity

by meadow77 740 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Thanks again for your reply Lew.

I do understand what you are saying.

However, my point remains.

The Scriptures very clearly state that Jesus is our Only Master and Lord.

However, the Father can also be called our Only Master and Lord, correct?

So, to me (these are simply my beliefs, nothing more), the Scriptures say that the Father and the Son are the Only True Lord, just like the Father and the Son are the Only True God.

Calling the Son "The Only True Lord" does not exclude the Father from also being our Only True Lord, just like calling the Father the "Only True God" does not exclude the Son from also being the "Only True God".

These are my beliefs.

Romans 10:9: that if you will confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
    Romans 10:10: For with the heart, one believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
    Romans 10:11: For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed."
    Romans 10:12: For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the Same Lord is Lord of all, and is rich to all who call on Him.
    Romans 10:13: For, "Whoever will call on the Name of the Lord will be saved."

The Apostle Paul quoted Joel 2:32, which said "Whoever will call on the Name of YAHWEH will be saved", and then made a direct application to the Lord Jesus.

• herk
    herk

UnD,

You keep bringing up this same question again and again, even though it was thoroughly answered days ago. And I think it's amazing that you don't get the point from what Lew just wrote.

Please read the texts carefully:

• "For us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through him." (1 Corinthians 8:6)
    • "There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all." (Ephesians 4:4-6)

The first text says plainly that there is "but one God, the Father." Thus, the "one God" does not include any others. The Father alone is God. Then it says there is "one Lord, Jesus Christ." In the mind of the Trinitarian, this means that Jesus Christ is also God, but that is not what the verse says. It specifically rules out Jesus Christ as God when it says there is "but one God, the Father."

Similarly, the second text enumerates persons and things that are not all the same or equal:

"One body"

"One Spirit"

"One hope"

"One Lord"

"One faith"

"One baptism"

"One God and Father"

So, there is One God. Is it the Spirit? No. Is it the Lord? No. It is the "One God and Father."

The Father has always been God and Lord, but the Son has never been the Almighty God, and he has not always been the Lord. How did he become the Lord? The answer is given in Acts 2:36: "God has made him both Lord and Christ--this Jesus whom you crucified."

• Jesus said: "All authority has been given to me." (Matthew 28:18)
    • John 3:35 says: "The Father ... has given all things into his hand."
    • John 5:22 says: "The Father ... has given all judgment to the Son."
    • Acts 5:31 says: "He is the one whom God exalted."
    • Acts 10:38 says: "God anointed him."
    • Acts 10:42 says: "This is the One who has been appointed by God."

You wrote:

Is that "One Lord" and "Only Lord" The Father or The Son? You can only choose One -- either The Father or Jesus.

This is a strange question for you to be asking since you do not believe that "only" means "only" in John 17:3. You have a selective problem. Trinitarians give meanings to words that suit them and become disturbed when non-Trinitarians stick to the dictionary definitions. For example, the Father is the "one God." In fact, he is "the oneandonly God." (John 5:44) But you do not let that stop you from expanding the idea of the one God to include other "persons."

But now let me show you how the Bible answers your question in Jesus' discussion with the Jews in John 8:39-41:

"They answered and said to him, 'Abraham is our father.' Jesus said to them, 'If you are Abraham's children, do the deeds of Abraham. But as it is, you are seeking to kill me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. You are doing the deeds of your father.' They said to him, 'We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God.'"

First, notice that the Jews said, "Abraham is our father." But later they said, "we have one Father: God." If we were to use the logic of Trinitarians, Abraham would have to be God since the Jews said they had only "one Father" and they said both Abraham and God were their father.

Clearly, the Jews viewed Abraham as their father in a different sense than the way they viewed God as their father. And that is the sensible view to take when we read that Jesus is our "one Lord" and our "only Lord." Jesus is "Lord" in a different sense than the way God is "Lord."

No one made the Father God and Lord, but Jesus is Lord because God made him such.

Similarly, Jehovah is the "God of gods." (Psalm 138:1) Obviously the gods over whom he is God are not gods to the same degree as he is. The same is true of Jesus. He is called God, but he has a God that he worships and serves, a God who is greater than he is. (Micah 5:4; Revelation 3:12) Jesus is "Lord of lords and King of kings," but 1 Corinthians 15:27 shows that "it is evident that he is excepted who put all things in subjection to him."

Herk

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

UnD, Thank you for a nice reply.

But, I think I see the source of your confusion here. I did a word search on the Bible Gateway and here is what I came up with for Jude 1:4;

4. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. (KJV)

4. For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ. (NKJV)

4. For there are certain men crept in privily, even they who were of old written of beforehand unto this comdemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (ASV)

4. I say this because some godless teachers have wormed their way in among you, saying that after we become Christians we can do just as we like without fear of God's punishment. The fate of such people was written long ago, for they have turned against our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (LVB)

4. For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. (NIV)

4. For admission has been secretly gained by some who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly persons who pervert the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (RSV)

4. Dear , I was always very eager to write you about the salvation we share. But, I felt forced to write you because some men have come in secretly. I am begging you to fight for the faith which God passed on to the holy people once for all time. These men don't want God. Long ago it was written that they would be condemned. They are turning away from the gracious love of our God to orgies, rejecting Jesus Christ, our only Lord and Master. (SIM)

4. For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (NAS)

4. Certain people have infiltrated among you, who were long ago marked down for condemnation on this account; without any reverence they pervert the grace of our God to debauchery and deny all religion, rejecting our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (NJB)

4. For there have been some intruders, who long ago were designated for this condemnation, godless persons, who pervert the grace of our God into licentiousness and who deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (NAB)

There seems to be quite a difference between the KJV and others here. Which is right? Even the JWs Bible, the NWT says: "proving false to our only Owner and Lord, Jesus Christ." Let's see if we can resolve this with scripture.

1 Corinthians 6:20. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (KJV)

We are bought for by Christs death. God supplied that to us, therefore, we glorify God.

1 Corinthians 7:23. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. (KJV)

2 Peter 2:1. But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. (KJV)

Who bought and paid the price for us? Jesus. Does that make him God?

John 3:16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (KJV)

If not for the flavor left over from the KJV, Jude 4 would clearly be seen as applying only to Jesus. Remember, Lord originally had various meanings in Greek. Jesus paid for our sins by his death and has been placed in a position of authority by the Father, which he identifies as "the only true God." If he is both the only true owner and only true God, then the Oneness people have it right and there could not have been any God in heaven for 33 1/2 years as Jesus grew and walked the earth. That is unbiblical.

I see it as saying that we only have Jesus as Owner, or Master, if you prefer, because he is the one appointed by and placed in authority by his Father, God. No one else can lay claim to being the Messiah, only Jesus. But, that does not make him God, Our Master tells us there is only one true God, his Father, who placed all things in his hands and whose will Jesus did while on earth. The same Master who will place all things back in the Fathers hands after subduing all enemies of God (1 Cor, 15:27,28).

This is how I see it.

I'd like to commend you for searching through scriptures in support of your belief, even though I see it differently. You have shown an attitude I rarely run across in these trinity discussions, one of reason and peacefulness. I greatly appreciate your loving spirit. We may never agree on beliefs, but I feel we both are benefitting by making sure of what we believe.

Lew W

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Lew:
    I suspect that UnD was actually being quite specific on the point of Jesus being our "only Lord and Master. I don't think the issue was the KJV or NKJV translation.

I have to thank you for your fairness in citing the various translations that highlight this very point, and for quoting 2Pet.2:1. The fact that you have a different interpretation, of the gleaned details, is neither here nor there (to my mind). I find you a thoroughly nice guy, and reasonable to boot.

Since Jesus is the one who "bought" us at great cost, and is our Lord and Master, I can personally only accede with Thomas (John 20:28) that he is "my Lord and my God" (coupled with the fact that he never refused any honour, nor refuted the Pharisee's complaint that he was making himself equal with God).

I have to confess that I need to study Isa.9:6 a little closer, as I want to be sure of which context to place Christ in, as the "Eternal Father". I feel certain that he isn't THE Father, which makes it an interesting title.

UnDF:
    I refer you to Rudyard Kiplings poem "If" http://www.diehappy.com/IF.html

Every Blessing, to you all, in this season of goodwill.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Herk, Lew, and LittleToe,

I just want to thank you all for your kind replies.

Lew, you're right, we may not ever agree on beliefs about the Nature of God, but I am sure all of us share the belief that we should love our neighbor, love our enemy, and most of all, love God, and believe in Jesus and His Sacrifice.

LittleToe, thanks for that poem, I really enjoyed it.

Herk, I do thank you for your kind reply.

I know I didn't explain what I was doing, but when I asked this question:

Is that "One Lord" and "Only Lord" The Father or The Son? You can only choose One -- either The Father or Jesus.

The reason I said "You can only choose One", is because I was using the same argument that some people have used, when they say "Who is the Only True God, The Father or Jesus, you can only choose One".

My beliefs are that the Father and the Son are the True Lord and the True God, as well as the Holy Spirit.

I was trying to point out that since the Scriptures say that Jesus is the Only Lord, then when the Father is called Lord, it must be in a lesser degree than Jesus (using the same argument that other non-trinitarian people have used).

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Undisfellowshipped,

Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness and denying the only Lord <1203> (despotes, a master, Lord) God, and our Lord <2962> (kurios, a title of honour expressive of respect and reverence, with which servants greet their master) Jesus Christ .

This is why word matching does not work and is of no value in identifying the nature of God. Word matching identical Greek or Hebrew words or phrases causes the same problem as context is hidden. Are the texts comparing God to the Lord or simply discussing or Lord in a general way without regard to the status of this Lord to this God?

Joseph

• Brummie
    Brummie

Herk are you male or female? Your avatar just threw me.

Jesus is the son of God, he is omnipresent, you havent refuted my earlier comments on page 27. He is the very nature of his father, God. I am the nature of my father and that makes me human. Jesus is the same nature as His father.

If you have a son herk, he will be the exact representation of you, he will only be able to do what you do, he will have the same nature, humanity. God has a son and he is "Unique" there is no other son like him for he shares the same nature as his father, a nature that never disolved when he became a man.

Thomas recognised Jesus as being the same nature has his father in John 20:28.

I would suggest you do a simple thing Herk and ask Jesus himself who he is. You can bounce from scripture to scripture or cartoon to cartoon just like a lot of us used to do as JWs, or you can simply ask Christ in prayer who he is. He will answer you.

Brummie

• herk
    herk

UnD,

You wrote:

First of all, the Greek word used for "God" both times in John 1:1, is the same word - "theos". When Non-Trinitarians read John 1:1, here is how they read it: The Word was with God Almighty, and the Word was an inferior, lesser god.

Is there any reason to find fault with what non-Trinitarians believe here? As has been shown, there is but one God, and yet there are also gods who are inferior.

• "For the L ORD your God is theGod of gods ... and the awesome God." (Deuteronomy 10:17)
    • "Give thanks to the God of gods." (Psalm 136:2)
    • "Surely your God is a God of gods." (Daniel 2:47)
    • "Then the king will ... magnify himself above every god and will speak monstrous things against the God of gods." (Daniel 11:36)

Similarly, there is one Lord over all, and there are inferior lords:

• "For the L ORD your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords." (Deuteronomy 10:17)
    • "Give thanks to the Lord of lords." (Psalm 136:3)

Jesus is also called "the Lord of lords," but "it is evident that he is excepted who put all things in subjection to him." (1 Corinthians 15:27)

God is also King over all other kings, and yet, Jesus is also called "King of kings." Again, there is one exception! Christ is not King over the one who anointed and exalted him as King. Ephesians 1:19-22 explains that "the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory," exalted Christ when "he ... seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, ... And he put all things in subjection under his feet, and gave him as head over all things to the church." While God has always been King of kings, Christ becomes such only after his resurrection, never before.

God raised up others in the ancient past to be "king of kings." For example, we read at Ezra 7:12: "Artaxerxes, king of kings, to Ezra the priest, the scribe of the law of the God of heaven, perfect peace." Ezekiel 26:7 says: "Thus says the Lord G OD , 'Behold, I will bring upon Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, king of kings, with horses, chariots, cavalry and a great army." And Daniel addressed Nebuchadnezzar by saying, "You, O king, are the king of kings, to whom the God of heaven has given the kingdom, the power, the strength and the glory." (Daniel 2:37)

So, being "Lord" or "King" does not mean that the person is Almighty God, even if he is called "Lord of lords" and "King of kings." God is always above all others, including Christ.

Herk

• herk
    herk

UnD,

You wrote:

Non-Trinitarians (such as Herk) change the definition of "God" in the Verses that they can't accept, for instance, John 20:28 and Hebrews 1:8.

First of all, in this entire thread I have said not even one word about John 20:28. So, it is an untrue characterization to suggest that I've said something when I really haven't.

It is also untrue to say that I have changed the definition of God at Hebrews 1:8. I gave you the Bible definition and supported it by what Trinitarians themselves say about the verse. They point out that David and others of his royal line were addressed as "God" by the people because they represented God and spoke in his place. That is not a definition that I or any other non-Trinitarians dreamed up. That is what the Bible plainly shows.

Thus, if David could be addressed as God, surely Jesus his descendant also can, especially because he is the greatest King in David's royal lineage.

Herk

• herk
    herk

UnD,

You wrote:

So, to me (these are simply my beliefs, nothing more), the Scriptures say that the Father and the Son are the Only True Lord, just like the Father and the Son are the Only True God. Calling the Son "The Only True Lord" does not exclude the Father from also being our Only True Lord, just like calling the Father the "Only True God" does not exclude the Son from also being the "Only True God".

As far as I know, the Scriptures nowhere state that "the Son" is "the Only True Lord." Kindly give us the chapter and verse, please.

Herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit