The Trinity

by meadow77 740 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

LittleToe said:

You see, the point that you really seem to be missing, with me, is that I'm quite happy for you to believe what you will. That really is your prerogative. It doesn't make me or you right.

Amen! Perfectly stated.

I have no problem with Herk believing whatever he/she wants to believe, my only problem is when Herk condemns and berates others for having different beliefs.

LittleToe said:

Oh, and btw, your cartoons do nothing to bolster an image of love, nor a respect for others opinions.

Very true.

Peace and love and grace to you LittleToe, and also to DakotaRed, JosephMalik, and yes, Herk

• herk
    herk

Edited by - herk on 12 December 2002 8:54:44

• gumby
    gumby

Little toe,

Herk is 70 years old. His intrest is NOT to convince you the Trinity is wrong. If you and any others would say.....OK herk...you are correct afterall......we are no longer trinitarians.....you would spoil all his fun and pastime. He likes doing what he does and salvation for others is the least of his concerns.....as long as he is right. This doesn't effect just 70 year olds as Swedish Chef proves true....he is no different than Herk.....just a guy having fun getting self-glory by believing he "did a good job" proving the other one wrong.

Religion has proved it's worth by this long and windy WORTHLESS thread. It's not worthless in that it has provided intertainment for those involved. It has proved WORTHLESS in the sense that if Christ was to read it.....I doubt he would gives a thumbs up to either side.

• herk
    herk

LittleToe,

It's strange but I really don't see you as someone with

no hidden agenda's, no falsehood, no dishonesty, no unfairness, just a simple love of God and neighbour.

I see you instead as someone who is immodest, who lacks humility and sincerity, and who thinks a lot more of himself than he ought to think. You brag about yourself and put others down, and you do it without any sense of shame.

You know deep down in your heart that you are being as deliberately deceptive as the devil when you make statements like the following:

On the subject of Milleniums of belief. It seems strange that Jesus and the Apostles had to clear up some misunderstandings. Are you saying that you are content with an understanding that is over 3,000 years old, and are trying to pick and choose what parts of the New Testament fit your perspective? I'm just curious, please elucidate.

There can be no love of truth in you at all, LittleToe. You know what I wrote, and it was simple enough for a child to understand. But just like the way you generally read the Scriptures, you try to read into and distort most of what others have to say.

Jesus and the apostles never changed the Jewish belief regarding Genesis 1:26, no matter how much you wish they had. I illustrated for you that the writer of Hebrews confirmed what the Jews always believed about angels and men in the image of God. But you can't accept what a Bible writer says. You pick and choose what you want to accept anywhere in the Bible, and then you try to hide what you do and blame others instead. I can think of you as no different than the Pharisees who you seem to have chosen as your role models. They also thought highly of themselves. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see you someday on a street corner blowing a trumpet as you pray to yourself, "Thank God I'm such a nice guy, not like so many other people I know." (Matthew 6:2; Luke 11:18)

The following statement is another illustration of your blatant hypocrisy:

You see, the point that you really seem to be missing, with me, is that I'm quite happy for you to believe what you will. That really is your prerogative.

If that was really the way you feel, you wouldn't be sticking with this discussion as you have been. You wouldn't be presenting a defense of your pagan religion so vigourously and with so many illogical arguments - arguments you use simply because you can't think of anything that is really solid scripturally and factually. Again, your hypocrisy is seen by claiming a failure on my part - that I'm missing something that you know quite well is really not there.

You wrote:

Oh, and btw, your cartoons do nothing to bolster an image of love, nor a respect for others opinions.

That sounds so much like Luke 11:45: "One of the experts in the Mosaic Law answered him, 'Teacher, in saying this, you reproach and outrage and affront even us!"

UnD,

You wrote:

I have no problem with Herk believing whatever he/she wants to believe.

That statement is as true as saying the moon is made of green cheese. If you really have no problem, you wouldn't be whining and complaining so much and trying so hard with your illogical and unscriptural methods to defend your pagan system of belief.

As for your response to the cartoons, I see a similarity in Luke 11:45.

Unlike you and LittleToe, I really care whether or not you believe the truth of the Bible. You may continue to persist in the discussion for your admitted wrong reasons, but on the other hand my hope and prayer is that someday your eyes will be opened to the fact that you at the present time are subject to "deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons." (1 Timothy 4:1)

Sometimes it amazes me that ordinary people like yourselves can't see the difference. Abraham, Moses, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah and all the prophets never made references to a triune God. They believed as Jesus did, that Israel's God is One, not Three. They never worshipped "the Word" or "the Holy Spirit," and they made very little mention of them. Such a belief was not demonic. But the demons haven't been sleeping. Just as they often saw to the corruption of the ancient Jewish system of worship, they've been busy tampering with Christian beliefs and practices. Persons ought to be suspicious when their own beliefs don't agree with what was the scriptural teaching about God for many centuries.

Herk

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

LOL @ Brummies cartoon. Hey, since I was born and raised in Florida and moved away years ago, does that make me smarter now?

I have to concur that my "coming to Christ" was whilst in a state of belief of JW Dogma, but through a growing comprehension that Christ hadn't been preached correctly by the JW's (e.g. Rev.5:12-14, which I'd appreciate, if you would tackle). That awareness of Christ was the liberating factor, and my understanding grew day by day.

LittleToe, thank you for the complimentary words. As stated elsewhere, I was raised in the First Assembly of God religion, sort of an offshoot of the Pentecostals. The idea that Jesus was God or even equal to God was foreign to me, until 1971 when I married a Catholic woman. It is my understanding now that the AoG is a Trinitarian religion, but I sure never got that impression growing up. As a small child, I took serious the relationship I was taught as to Jesus being sent, being the Son, and such.

When I was baptized a JW and even during my study, I had trouble grasping the JWs concept of Jesus, as they pretty much relegate him to nothingness. While I disagree that he is God or even equal to God, he has been placed in a central position to mankind, by the Father. To me, even though this may confuse some, he is a god, in the sense that mans salvation was placed in his hands. Much like the useage of the word god at 2 Cor. 4:4, denoting Satan as the god of this world, I see it as equally applying to Jesus, but as the one who saves mankind, not the one who will destroy it.

That being said, lets look at the Revelation verses you requested:

Revelation 5: 12. Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, honour, and glory, and blessing.

13. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

14. And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever. (KJV)

I dont readily remember your earlier comments, but I am assuming you are looking at the worship offered Jesus here. With that in mind, here are some portions of my thoughts and quotes from other posts I have done over the years;

"Much of the confusion which obstructs clear thinking about the Godhead may be traced to a prime cause. We have not reckoned with changes in the meaning of words, effected by time, as language is transplanted from one culture to another." (The Doctrine of the Trinity: Christianity's Self Inflicted Wound, 1998, Anthony F. Buzzard, Charles F. Hunting, International Scholars Publications, Page 3)

"The meaning of words must be sought within the environment in which they were written. The Bible was not composed in the 20th century, nor did it's writers know anything of the subsequent creeds and councils. Context is all-important in determining the author's intent. Within the pages of [the Bible] Jesus never referred to himself as God." (The Doctrine of the Trinity: Christianity's Self Inflicted Wound, 1998, Anthony F. Buzzard, Charles F. Hunting, International Scholars Publications, Page 84)

"The irony of this bitter age-old controversy is that all factions, unitarians, Binitarians, and Trinitarians, claim to be worshipping only one God. Those who insist that Jesus is God argue that he is worthy of worship, an act offered only to God. If that point were sustained, we would have to conclude that two persons are worthy of worship as God. To propose a Godhead of two or three persons contradicts the many plain biblical statements that God is a single person. It is futile to escape this conclusion that by holding that the creeds do not mean by person what we mean today mean by person. In the Bible the Father and Jesus are obviously persons in the modern sense -- two different individuals."

"The solution to the puzzle is that "worship" in Scripture is offered not only to God but to human persons who hold positions of dignity. The point is obscured in translation by the fact that that the Greek verb proskuneo is used both of worship to God and doing obeisance to human persons. Thus, for example, the king of Israel is worshipped in association with God (1 Chron 29:20 KJV). Daniel was worshipped (Dan 2:46). The saints are worshipped (Rev 3:9 KJV). Jesus is worshipped as Messiah, but only one person, the Father, is worthy of worship as God. It is highly significant that another Greek word, latreuo, which is used of religious service only, is applied exclusively to the Father in the New Testament" (The Doctrine of the Trinity: Christianity's Self Inflicted Wound, 1998, Anthony F. Buzzard, Charles F. Hunting, International Scholars Publications, Page 134)

In Rev. 5:14, the Greek word used for worshipped is proskuneo, which Strongs defines as:

1. to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
    2. among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound reverence
    3. in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication
      1. used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
        1. to the Jewish high priests
        2. to God
        3. to Christ
        4. to heavenly beings
        5. to demons

To us today, the word worship carries a much more restrictive sense than it did long ago. We tend to restrict worship soley to God, whereas, even when the King James was written, it was not as restricted. To me, we need to look at the Bible from the mindset of those who actually wrote it, instead of how we tend to think today. Word meanings and thoughts have changed, drastically in some cases, over the centuries.

Please note the following lifted from verse 12 above: " Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, honour, and glory, and blessing." Obviously, Jesus did not have it at one time or else, he would not have to be receiving it. Remember also, he received all from the Father, it was granted him, not already his.

John 3:35. The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. (KJV)

John 5:22. For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: (KJV)

Matthew 11: 27. All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. (KJV)

I hope this addresses your question, LittleToe. If not, let me know and I will clarify myself a little better.

Gumby, to me, the main worthiness of this long drawn out thread is merely to encourage me to keep seeking answers to my questions. I, for one, do not enter these arguments deep discussions with the notion that I can change anyones mind. It is done more for my own benefit to reaffirm my beliefs and seek others thoughts. That somewhere along the line, they usually degenerate into worthless arguing and slandering of each other, always distresses me and ruins the discussion, but both sides are guilty.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, although I have been digging into this subject for many years, first seeking the trinity, since so many were so firmly convinced it was true and I wasn't. Eventually, due to my not actually finding it, I turned my attention to seeking every possible objection to it I could find.

I disagree with those who categorize it as the "central doctrine of Christianity." Although it has been placed there, the central doctrine, in my opinion, is Jesus' commandment to love one another. Whether or not belief or non-belief matters for salvation, I leave in Jesus' hands.

Lew W

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:Aye, I see your point. I have also got to concur with you on the point of religion. I hate religion, for religion's sake. It so easily becomes a source of spiritual pride, which is as subtle as every other form of pride.

Herk:
    Strangely enough, I was studying the parallelism of Ps.8:5 and Heb.2:7 (the whole chapters, in fact), just two weeks ago. My understanding is that the Jews didn't believe that Ps.8 was messianic. It was the book of Hebrews, as well as Jesus' own allusion to it (Matt.21:16) that highlighted its significance.
    I see no difficulty with this, in view of Christs humiliation (Phil.2:7), and the rest of those opening chapters of Hebrews. The subject appears to be Christ, not "man" in general. Man was made in the image of God, and is served by (Heb.1:14) and will judge (1Cor.6:3) angels. The Hebrew word used for "man" is "Enosh", not "Adam", denoting a time after the fall, rather than at the time of the subjection mandate.

You seem to know a lot about what goes on inside my heart, mind, etc. and what my wishes are, for someone who lives on mainland Europe. Are you sure you don't live over here in Scotland?
    I also have to ask you to cite examples of bragging, as I fail to see where I have done this.

Are we back to name-calling and issue dodging?
    "Immodest, and who lacks humility and sincerity / No love of truth in you / Pagan beliefs / illogical arguments / wrong reasons".

Your comment on Luke 11 was rich. It sounds nothing like my comment about your cartoons. Besides, I'm not outraged, nor affronted. I'm a worthless sinner, who beats himself up daily, but is thankful for the grace of God. Do you really think that I think so much of myself?

I feel it is sad that I have to spend half of my reply to you repelling your vicious attacks on my character, rather than on the job at hand - discussing "The Trinity". I note that you still haven't clarified my inquiry regarding your state of relationship with the divine.

You see, I have taken the trouble of reading your three weeks worth of posts (and "Frank's"). I suspect that you haven't read mine, and have based your judgement of me on my refutation of your points, on this thread.
    I do wish you would take the time to respond to the issues (in this thread), rather than react to perceived attacks.

There is no ill will intended. I genuinely wish you the best.

• herk
    herk

LittleToe,

You provide lots of laughs. Even as you deny your conceit and hypocrisy, you go on and on, paragraph after paragraph, singing praises to yourself.

You're also laughable due to your claim that I don't read your posts and respond to them. Next to Lew, I've offered more refutation, point by point, than anyone in this thread. On the other hand, you make ludicrous statements like the following:

That question barely deserves this sentence, far less a detailed reply...

If you had been carefully reading my posts, you would also have noticed that I've already clearly answered the question you seem so obsessed about:

I note that you still haven't clarified my inquiry regarding your state of relationship with the divine.

Herk

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Lew:
    Thanks for the background to your beliefs. I found it fascinating.

Thank you, for responding to that text.
    Regarding Rev.5:12, my understanding stems from the symbology of the lamb, in that Christ's sacrifice has been made, and so he returns from a state of abasement (humiliation). In Revelation, we now find him being glorified in heaven, with the glory he had before the founding of the world (John 17:5).

I've found it amazing to read Revelation without the Watchtower blinkers. It's still very deep, but is becoming far more understandable.

I can so follow your comment about the JW Jesus being relegated into "nothingness". They seem to ignore the fact that he is the judge, the rock, the dispenser of waters of life, etc., etc., etc.

I also agree with your comments about the central doctrine of Christianity.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Herk:

Herk: If you had been carefully reading my posts, you would also have noticed that I've already clearly answered the question you seem so obsessed about:
    LT: "I note that you still haven't clarified my inquiry regarding your state of relationship with the divine."

Obsessed? Nope. Further, I must have missed your reply, so would you mind restating it?

If you spent nearly as much time replying to the issues raised, rather than spitting venom, this thread might have been far less that 35 pages, and far more constructive.

I'm pleased that I've brought some fun to your day, though. It's my mission in life, to spread a little happiness.

Have you got any comments on Rev. 5?

• herk
    herk

LittleToe,

I must have missed your reply, so would you mind restating it?

What is this - some sort of game? I write. You don't bother to read. And then you want me to re-write what you didn't read the first time! You've got as much time on your hands as I do. Search for it yourself.

The same is true concerning what I wrote about Revelation 5. UnD and I spent several pages on that.

If you spent nearly as much time replying to the issues raised, rather than spitting venom, this thread might have been far less that 35 pages, and far more constructive.

Yes, just as you say, you're a very loving and friendly Christian, one who has every right to brag to the world how wonderful he is. It just oozes out of nearly everything you write. Thanks, in addition, for the intentional and/or inadvertent reminders I get in nearly every post.

Herk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit