Why I don't Want children

by LuckyLucy 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Solace
    Solace

The reason I wanted to have a baby was because my husband and I loved eachother and I wanted to have "his" child, not because I wanted "a" child. I remember honestly, really wanting to have "his" child. It was just a feeling. We really wanted to share in this experience.

Sometimes its almost like people arent seeing humans as individuals anymore.

Like, oh, I want "a baby" or people will get married because they want "a wife" or they want "a husband"

It just seems strange to me.

As far as the world today not being safe for our children, we love our kids and are raising them the best we know how. We do our best to keep them safe and I dont think thats selfish. Seeing them happy makes us happy.

Being a good parent is one of the most unselfish things a person can do.

Edited by - heaven on 16 November 2002 3:18:40

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

When I was younger I didn't think I wanted to have children, even though I was raised in an environment where children are championed and encouraged. And then my nephew was born. And we became the best of buds from the time he could distinguish different people. We are still like that with one another and he's 16 years old.

2 years later my daughter was born. And throughout the 14 years of her life, she has been a mirror to me that I could never have found elswhere. There have been times in my life that I've made decisions based on the fact that I am responsible for her. There have been many, many more times I've made decisions because I love her so much. The love you have for a child is something one can only describe by having one and traveling down that road, bumpy as it might be along the way.

I could gush on and on about this wonderful being I was part of creating. I am just thankful that I changed my mind about wanting to do that.

Yeah, it's a cruel world out there. But the world is what we make it. If something like an Armageddon happens, it will take all of us; me and my daughter both. And then I hope I am with her to hold her hand. In the mean time, the children of the world are what provide those smiles we need every day. They don't have the pressures we do and they can say and do the funniest things- whether they are yours or someone else's.

Think of how many smiles you get when you are out and about and see a child- being a child.

XW- my 185 cents

• cellomould
    cellomould

what about adoption?

Considering that the poor and undereducated are reproducing at far greater rates than the rich and educated, it should prove to be vital to the future of our society to consider how to balance our growth.

I see advertisements everyday offering tens of thousands of dollars for egg donors to provide a child that looks like the (infertile) parents; in addition, the parents want an athletic and intelligent child. Hence, they have very specific requirements for the young woman. Here's an example:

EAST INDIAN EGG DONOR NEEDED
    $50,000 (compensation). Highly successful, professional East Indian couple, need an egg donor of East Indian descent, who is attractive and intelligent (SAT score of 1400+) with a good personality. Privacy is guaranteed. Please contact our agent: xxxx

'Is this for real?', you ask...

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/marketplace/imaker.dll?id=4

It's not presumptuous to say the people behind these ads care about the opinions of their friends in society more than they care for human society in general.

Imagine what they could do with $50,000 instead: cover modest attorney fees to adopt a child, invest in an educational plan for their child, or donate a large balance to the health and well-being of other needy children.

By the way, I don't intend to pick on East Indian couples; the majority of the ads I have seen are from white couples who want a tall white intelligent college athletic woman.

cellmould

Edited by - cellomould on 16 November 2002 6:12:11

• MYOHNSEPH
    MYOHNSEPH

Wouldn't it be great if we could really evaluate the motives of another persons heart by whether they choose to have children or not, or maybe whether they drive a big SUV or a compact, or maybe by whether they ride a motorcycle or have tatoos! It ain't that simple folks! Some folks choose to have kids for selfish motives, some choose not to have kids for selfish motives. A hell of a lot of us are here simply because a couple of horny people just wanted to get layed! (OK, so you could say that was selfish!)

My wife and I have four daughters, all grown and married with kids of their own now. The first was born three days short of ten months after our wedding day. I was nineteen, my wife was eighteen. It wasn't selfishness or unselfishness. It was just two ignorant teenagers who knew nothing about about birth control. The next two were deliberate, the fourth was an 'uh oh!' But selfish or unselfish has nothing to do with it. It's about fulfillment in one's life, which I believe everyone has a right to, without catagorizing it as "selfish" or "unselfish". (Assuming, of course, it's not achieved at the expense of someone else!) My wife and I both loved having kids and I believe they loved being our kids. We are all still very close and enjoy a lot of great family times together. That's what makes our world go 'round. But, that's just us!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I used to be sure I never wanted kids.

(here starts the verbal diarrhea part....feel free to skip to the end (also in bold):

That wuz shortly after "raising" my bro & sis best I knew how
    during and after my parentz nasty marriage & ugly divorce.
    They were my kids. Circumstances dictated....and love.
    (really we all raised each other but i viewed it back then as my sole responsibility)

Babysat other peoplez kidz all through jr. high and high school.
    (did it for the money...but loved each o' them kidz...didn't much like the baby types, just the kid types).

I could always envision adopting, but never envisioned the "all american family" type scenario. You know the hubby, wife, 2.5 kids, dog and house with white picket fence and a red door. *gag*)
    I figured, why on earth would I bring another new baby into this f'd up world when there are already so many kids in need of loving parents? If I wanted a kid, I'd adopt, I thought.

When I was finished high school my mom got pregnant again.
    I bawled with joy and surprise when she told me the news.
    Gosh, a new life inside o' her!....I'll be an auntie, no wait a 1/2 sis,
    oh man I'm too old for this again...this could be my kid.
    because I didn't wanna raise yet anuther kid
    (and for a few other reasons i won't bore u with)
    i moved out.

I felt selfish, but that was my decision. I've loved my 1/2 bro from before he wuz born
    and was concerned we wouldn't be as close as my other siblings and I.
    (I'm happy to report, over a decade later and in spite of a perpetually disfunctional type family and a long distance relationship of sorts, that we do awright He's such a genius that kid. I love 'im to death.)

Loved kids, Still never wanted kids.
    Felt abnormal for not wanting them actually
    (particularly in the jw setting where "that's what women do").
    My mother wanted them. My sister wanted them. All my girlfriends wanted them.
    Then came the women in the hall, when are you gonna get married and have kids?
    Every guy I dated wanted kids.

Then there were the gawd-awful birth stories. ACK. Ech. Ewwww.
    I could not imagine it for myself. Or maybe it was that I could imagine it, all too well.
    I used to think it was just the fear of giving birth, and the selfishness about wrecking my body, losing all dignity (I still find it nightmare-ish to imagine the whole "modernday" birthing process). My mother tries to paint it up all nice and natural like, but I know better. (lol) Besides, she's biased. She's in love with babymaking.

I remember a sweet wonderful loving functional couple I was friends with,
    they wanted a child more than anything in the world
    and were having the worst time getting pregnant.
    The day I found out they were finally pregnant, I burst into tears of joy for them. And for their unborn child. They were a wonderful couple. This child would be well-loved and nurtured.
    I love children and I love life. I don't want kids; though it's really beautiful when it happens to someone else in the right circumstances for it.

Got married, with full disclosure to him, in no uncertain terms, that I in no way wanted kids.
    This must have fallen on deaf ears cuz he one day said to me, "you are very hard to get pregnant!"
    I guess he must not have understood what that little pill wuz i took every damn day.

For reasons of a serious and sad nature in my marriage,
    my decision to not have children was reaffirmed over time.

Some best friends of ours got pregnant. I felt a twinge! It was gone as quickly as it appeared.
    (Was reminded of a lot of things and learned a few new things seeing my best g/f go thru the pregnancy and birth thing.) But I felt slighty normal to have finally felt, for the first time, the teeniest likeness of what *normal* women feel about the desire to have children. (it's called jealousy?)

I guess my husband felt the same twinge though, cuz one day he brought home a couple movies from the library showing live hospital births and about midwifery and live home births. I reestablished my stance that I am in no way having kids with him.
    Then, when he wuzn't looking, I watched the movies, with my hands over my face and my fingers parted, (ow ow ow) and my brow furrowed and made some decisions about my preferences...I'd do the home birth thing in a heartbeat...au naturale as far as womanly possible).

Then I added condoms to the birth control regime.

I could imagine our kid. Fondly even.
    But I had NO desire or ability to live out the future realities I knew it entailed.
    Circumstances (with my husband's mental health) when I wuz married caused me to deliberate seriously about getting my tubes tied (in spite of the jw warnings against playing god in this fashion!)
    I asked around and learned a lot. Ultimately I decided,

it was just too final. I decided against it.

Didn't want kids, but didn't want the option taken away from me either.
    Hm, I thought, Strange.

Love kids. Love 'em. Just never wanted any.
    For many many reasons. Also don't want anyone else telling me that I should or shouldn't have them. I would vehemently defend my right to make the rational decision to not have kids. And I would vehemently defend other peoples rights to make the rational decision to have kids (like when my father condemned my step-bro and his wife for getting pregnant "this close to armaggedon")

Over the years I've watched many people have kids for many different reasons.
    Arguably the dumbest reason ever imo is to save a dying marriage (aka to trap the spouse).
    Poor kid iz a pawn even before being born.
    I've watched many people agonize over wanting kids they couldn't have.
    I've watched people grow and learn from their kids.
    I've observed people adopt.
    I've observed people step-parent and do a great job and some do a lousy job at it.
    And I've participated in a whole gammit of child-raising scenarios.

Not long after my marriage ended, I fell really hard for a really good man.
    The kid question took on a new perspective. Here was an actual "partner" in the whole endeavor. He even had a daughter from a previous relationship. And an excellent track record as a father. I still didn't want kids, but for him and/or with him, ("for him" being not a rational reason to have a kid imo) I would have considered it. Seriously considered it, for the first time ever. (anyway that never worked out...whole nuther story).

Now I'm at a place where I'm rebuilding my self and my life.
    As I do so, I look around me and realize some of the beauties (instead of just the harsh realities) of *children* and *family*. Still don't have any desire to babymake, but then I'm not in a relationship right now, so why would I. Someday (probably a few years from now) I will seriously consider adopting. But wow, have I ever changed...from "I never want kids".

I used to be sure I never wanted kids.

Now I'm just sure I never want kids for the wrong motives or with the wrong partner or in the really wrong circumstances. Am I saying I would want it to be easy? No, perhaps I should clarify, now I'm sure that if I ever decide to have kids I would do everything in my power to give said kids the benefit of a loving healthy happy primary relationship and family thingy.....

Having and raising kids, building a family, is to me all about emotional, physical, intellectual, social, financial and spiritual well-being.

I guess ya do yer personal best with it.

Like my parents did. muahahahaha. Scary thought.

Not a decision to take lightly.

SPAZ (of the ok-i'm-finally-spent klass)

ps - Heaven...yours was a beautiful and moving post.

Edited by - SPAZnik on 16 November 2002 7:37:6

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Spaz, you said what I tried to. Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit