Why I don't Want children

by LuckyLucy 85 Replies latest jw friends

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Thank you...Safe4

Wow...JesusChrist...that is the most intelligent thing i have heard all day...after all you do know everything

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Jesus--you are a smart man....you should put those thoughts down on papyrus!

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

I don't have any children myself. So I will not even attempt to act like an expert on this matter. I will only give my opinion, and hope that it's seen as a balanced one. Many good comments on this issue. I agree with a number of comments made on this thread.
    First: that Lucy shouldn't have any children feeling the way she does at the moment.
    Second: It is NOT selfish to have children!!!!! I personally feel that I AM much more selfish for the reasons I remain without children.
    Third: Scootergirl, your little boy is a DOLL!!! and I'm sorry for not remembering poster #2 but your little girl is a cuttie as well.

Just wanted to post my op.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Backs away from thread, takes her Tootsie rolls, and runs...

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Very balanced post and many good points, Scully. You are one of the most unselfish people I know.

I admire people who don't want children and say so. I appreciate their honesty. Of course, if any did have kids, they should keep that opinion to themselves for the sake of the kids. I know a couple of kids that are messed up because their mom keeps telling them that she never wanted kids.

Richard

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I think those people who lived through the black plague, the world wars, the dark ages, the crusades, the years of blood letting and surgery with no anesthesia...would definitely tell us to quit whining about "how bad things are" now. If all you look for are the BAD things in the news and the world...thats all you will find. Thats why I LEFT the JWs...the horror mongers that they are...constantly crying from the rooftops and corners about how freaking BAD the world is and how the world is HEADED for doom, gloom destruction mahem...sheeeeeesh. You have the power to CHOOSE how you see the world, have empty or half FULL. This is IS baby...aint no dress rehearsal. Live the life God gave you.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I never wanted to have children. Why bring them into the world only to suffer and eventually die? To me, that would be selfish. Then I got pregnant, which was odd because I was on birth control pills. Of course this was 23 years ago and the pill wasn't as effective as it is now.

I considered my options and could not bring myself to have an abortion. So, I gave birth to my only child. I am so glad that I did. I learned what it is to totally and unselfishly love another human being, to put his interests above my own. I learned so much through my conversations with him. I actually had my faith in the possibilities of the human race restored. I also think that having my child kept me out of trouble because I was a rebel without a clue when I was a young adult.

When my son was 5 years old, he overheard a friend and me talking about her abortion. Later that day he asked me what an abortion was. I told him that an abortion is when a pregnant woman, for whatever reason, maybe it was because she didn't have a husband, or enough money to raise a child, decided that she didn't want to be pregnant anymore and went to the doctor who used a small vacuum to take the pregnancy cells out of her belly so that she would no longer be pregnant.

I asked my son if he understood what I was saying. He put down his Leggos and ran up to me throwing his arms around my legs. He said "Mommy, I am so glad that you had me and not an abortion because I love you". I picked my son up, hugged him to me and told him how very much I loved him and how happy I was that I didn't have an abortion.

I still cry when I think about that day 17 years ago. I am glad that I didn't have an abortion. I am so happy that my son is here, in this world. His existence still gives me hope for the future of humankind.

If there had never been a child in my life, what joy would there have been for me? Not much. I doubt that I would even be alive. By giving life to my child, he in return gave life to me.

Robyn

• Jesika
    Jesika

I didn't want to ever have children because of the abuse I went through in my own childhood. I did not feel like I could be a good parent, since I didn't feel I had a good example.

I was 17when I got pregnant with my son. He almost died when he was 2days old. Although I didn't want to have a child, the thought of loosing him was horrific.

I agree with Robdar, when she said she didn't think she would be alive now if it wasn't for her son. I believe the same to be true with me. I had noone to love, and I love him sooooooooooo much. I never knew or understood unconditional love, untill he was born. I would do anything for him. I have gone hungry so he could eat. I have gone without warm clothes so he could be warm. I have been without alot so I could give to him. I don't see this as a selfish thing at all. It brought out the best in me and his father.

I don't want anymore children, ever, but I would never imagine my life without my son.

Lucy-----the other day in chat, you were talking to Ruby Tuesday when I entered the room. You made the comment that you were suprised she came in to talk with you since alot of people don't like you for speaking your mind. The comment Ruby made was, Maybe it is the WAY you say things. Very wise words, and you should take them to heart. We don't mind you speaking your mind, or to "Say it like it is", but it is the WAY you say things.The name calling is out of line, and telling us we are selfish for having children is out of line. Who the hell are you to tell me I can or can't have children, and then labeling me if I choose to go against what you think? Again, it is out of line. I respect your opinion, but I don't respect you pushing it on others, or labeling them in a negative fashion for not sharing the same outlook.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jesika

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'm just a guy, but I wanted to have children to break the cycle of abuse/incest in my extended family. I wanted to prove someone from my background could raise a child without beating or raping them. I'm giving to my children better than I received. My ideal is for my children to grow up and give to their children better than what they received.

• siegswife
    siegswife
    I believe women have children thinking it will fill some void in their life and men want children to carry on thier name

I believe that comment borders on the ridiculous. Some people may have those motivations, but I doubt that the majority do.

When you have kids, the last person that you usually get a chance to focus on is yourself. Going through pregnancy is no walk in the park for either parent, and after their born, you're lucky if you can find spare time for your partner (forget about yourself for awhile). If you think that having and raising kids is easy and something that a normal person would do for selfish reasons, you have a very limited understanding of parenthood.

Oh yea, you have no understanding of it. Just an armchair critic in a sense.

That's ok, since you don't have kids you have plenty of time to educate yourself on the subject. Maybe you can find some info online....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit