Yes the WT Told Millions of Youth NO COLLEGE!!

by JT 66 Replies latest jw friends

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

And that is why I waitressed, bartended, did the Postal scene, while rainsing five kids! Now at 45, I am on my way to a Criminal Justice/Sociology Integrative Bachelor's!!! This short story, which was actually an assignment, mentions the college deal (recorded on audio cassette by Debra Wilson of MAD TV!) as it was in the 60's & 70's!

ROMANO, DEBRA ANN

FAMILY PHOTOS

As if it were yesterday, Pansy is standing in the warm sun outside her portion of the huge three-

story Greek Revival owned by my grandparents, which holds captive the better part of my childhood

memories. Pansy, the grandniece of William Howard Taft, taught me etiquette and manners during our

daily, mock tea parties. It is a wonder that I have such an affinity, or as some say, obsession for collecting

antique tea pots now. The photo I hold is in classic black and white, but the grass is vividly thick green

carpeting in my mind. I feel its cool softness as the yellow and green tobacco spitting grasshoppers spring

out from it. I can hear the slight rustling of it when the wind blows, sweetly perfumed from the massive

cherry blossoms bursting forth in the nearby tree. I weep at finding and viewing this photo, as I weep upon

awakening from a recurring dream of finding this house, this happiness and security, long ago razed down

by destruction wielding machines and buried beneath the many new homes built upon this grave of my

youth.

This imprint of time past invokes the spirit and image of my once younger grandmother tenderly

holding me up so that I could watch a giant spider spin an intricate web between one of the several chim-

nies jutting up beyond the roof and the science fiction looking TV antennae which stood outside the sec-

ond story kitchen window. That same grandmother fed and watered our horses, cleaned stalls, cared for

the Police Dogs (descended from Rin-Tin-Tin) which Granddad raised, maintained the immense vegetable

garden she planted, and still found the strength to shovel heavy piles of coal into the blazing inferno that

heated this twenty- plus room house. As she fed this insatiable fire breathing monster, always roaring for

more, I played on the warm, dry basement floor with tissues (stored inside her bra which was always white)

over holes and cracks that a mysterious steady wind whistled through. We sadly much later learned when

all evidence was gone, that there were tunnels running under this basement, providing safe Underground

Railway passages for escaped slaves traveling North from the South, to this SAFE HOUSE. Uncle Ray

always called me his Debra-doll. He had just come home from the Navy and relished in teasing and

inciting me to fuss, or to say the S word, which would result in an admonishment from Grammy to both

of us! He was tall, handsome, smoked cigarettes, rode a motorcycle, and wore a leather jacket. I feel Dan

Dans bristled chin nuzzling my ear, calling me Sweetsie Pie-Pie. I smell typewriter ink from his repair

shop and feel typewriter cleaner stuck to my fingers like pink bubble gum. He laughed when he caught me

playing in that shed and taught me how to type. He always brought home gifts and books from the city for

me, his only precious little granddaughter.

Beneath this vision, I find myself quantum leaping forward. I am now the adult, the caretaker,

the provider. A child depends on me for nourishment at my breast and from my heart. It is Paul. He is

so pure and wide eyed with wonder. His skin is velvet on my cheek and with closed eyes I smell his silky

brown hair and the place behind his ears. His cream colored jumpsuit is too painful to feel. It is velour

corduroy and was one of my favorites. The other twin suit is teal. He is showing me something imagin-

ary in his warm, slightly moist, fat little hand, holding it out to me, proud and innocent at his find. He

shared many such amazements with me during the following eighteen years. He is gone now, but I still

have the suits. He was killed when his motorcycle hit a tree, taking along the scent of him, so unique, now

only lingering in his coat.

Finally, I resolve to go on through these frozen moments, which are becoming tear stained in my

hands. Here stands my dear Aunt Karen. She was a Carol Burnett look alike with glasses. She is my

Fathers little sister, 20 years younger than her now 56 years. We are all gathered around her in her perfectly

flower lined and trim yard. My Mom, Dad, twin brothers, ex-husband and once baby sons are there too,

but it is only she that I see. She curled her short hair that day and suddenly I realize that I dont remember

ever seeing it any other length. She, a worldly, professional single woman in the 60s and 70s, took me

under her wonderfully educated proverbial wing, momentarily away from the extremely sheltered prison

and watchful eye of my devout Jehovahs Witness parents. She showed me a vast world of culture. We

took daylong excursions into NYC. She showed me every museum, took me to every play, ballet, exotic

restaurant and shop available. She went to college. I was amazed at that. Jehovahs Witness children

did not and I longed for her life. I admired her; she was my friend, my mentor. She lived in Okinawa and

taught school on an army base. She was a librarian. She played the organ and cooked from recipes.

She loved me unconditionally as I did, and do, her. Many years have passed since seeing her although we

live in the same state. I wish for my young daughter someone as special as my Aunt Karen to share such

intimate moments with her, as we did.

Slowly, I replace these photos in their appropriate envelopes, their tombs, once again sealing away

and preserving mental movies which I may seek again to replay on occasion. Although those times have

ended, they are forever branded upon my heart.

Edited by - DebraDoll on 15 October 2002 20:55:21

Edited by - DebraDoll on 15 October 2002 20:56:43

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

polite clapture directed at debradoll's post. bravo!

• footprints
    footprints

JT "I gave those cock-suckers two years of convicted felon work"

I had a neighbor who was a "cock-sacker" he slept all day and spent the nights taking chickens to the slaughter house. Funny job.

On a different note were you at Lom Poc?

• clarity
    clarity

For the newbies

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"It's deja vu all over again." ~ Yogi Berra

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I actually went to college (father was an elder) and it was not an issue in my case.

First, I lived within driving distance of our State University. Second, I basically focussed on getting my degree and getting out as soon as I could.

The first year I took a full load of courses (6 instead of the typical 5) in each semester. Then I went full time in the summer. Within one year, I had completed 1 1/2 years of school. Then, due to $$$ issues, I began working full time and went to school two nights a week and on Saturday. At the time, we had Tue/Thur night meetings so I tried to schedule the classes on Mon/Wed. In a couple of semesters when that was not possible, I simply went to the Mon/Wed meetings that the other congregation had and went to school on Tue/Thur. Everyone knew that I was doing that so it was ok (except one semester near the end when I quietly went all four nights with everyone assuming I was at the meeting in the other congregation).

By going to school in the summer, I ended up graduating when most others were graduating anyway, plus I had a job and was able to pay for most of it.

Was it tough? You bet, especially when you MUST keep the 10hrs per month in service and NOT miss any meetings. Otherwise, it could have caused me problems. In fact, just to keep people quiet, shortly after I graduated I auxiliary pioneered for the month.

So it can be done under the radar but you have to be discreet.

Rub a Dub

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

One of my biggest regrets...is that I (and a few other brothers) commented during the meetings that WT isn't asking people not to go to college. As clear as it is in English, in French it's a little different. Higher education is translated in French by the WT as "grandes études", which literally means in English "LONG studies", which everyone understood to be studies that were longer than four or 5 years, like medical school which is at least 8. Now that I know that it means higher education in general, I will go around and advise everyone (starting with my father) that the WT is indeed referring to college.

• j dubb
    j dubb

Stiff man puttin' my mind in jail, and the judge bang the gavel and say, 'No bail!'

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Herbert is that you?

;-)

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Sorry double post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit