Yes the WT Told Millions of Youth NO COLLEGE!!

by JT 66 Replies latest jw friends

• link
    link

I think that all this must be confusing for an observer looking in from the outside.

The P.O. in my wifes congregation is in his fifties, has university degrees and holds down a powerful and well paid job. On the other hand his mother was counselled not to have any more children after his birth because the end was imminent and the preaching work was more important. I know these two events took place many years apart (birth and university) so maybe the rules changed in the meantime on both family size and education.

Another very respected elder has two daughters who he sent to university. One is now a lawyer and the other a very successful business woman and both still in the "truth".

This same elder has the most normal lifestyle that I have ever seen in a witness. He is an antiques dealer and his wife a successful artist and they are quite well off with a large home in the country. They both always seem genuinely happy and cheerful when I meet them and most of their closest friends wre "worldly" people.

There are a lot of anomalies in this game!

link

• Latte
    Latte

Errr.....don't forget this beauty..................

1969 "If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling.. True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?" {AWAK May 22 1969 15}}

• Englishman
    Englishman

Latte,

I haven't seen that before, thanks.

Good grief, don't these people stick their noses into places where they have no business to be?

Oh yes, my youngest has left home...to go to UNI!

Englishman.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember that, Latte. The climate on the campuses in the US were a factor that the WTS used. There were demonstrations, student groups taking over buildings, at Kent State students were killed, and in 1970 a university building was blown up and a researcher was killed. Not only marijuana smoke filled the air but tear gas. That was used by the WTS to scare parents from sending their children to college. Colleges/universities are fairly calm now which I think is one factor in why more JW parents send their children to the university.

• Latte
    Latte

When I was in my early twenties, I asked a very well educated JW elder and friend about going to college to finish my education (he was a lecturer at the local uni) He told me with a big sigh "OH no your not going down that road are you?" etc I didnt pursue it, perhaps I might in the next few years.

What still happens in the org. is that they keep their little ones up real late, when they should be in bed. How can they concentrate in school when they are so tired? Where do the parents find time to do that all important homework? I know of a few little ones who have fallen asleep at their desk due to being put to bed at 10.00 on meeting nights.

If education is now important, then scrap the midweek meetings........Pll. eeasse!!

Latte

Edited due to flip flops

Edited by - Latte on 15 October 2002 8:4:1

Edited by - Latte on 15 October 2002 8:5:51

• mustang
    mustang

"YES the WTB&TS discouraged a college education. I know this because I experienced it first hand.

Anyone who tries to tell you different is at best misinformed, or at the worst a liar."

"I've had JWs tell me that the WTBTS never really discouraged kids from going to college and that it was a personal decision on their part. THAT IS HORSE HOCKEY! I was there and lived it."

Agreed, and it goes double: I received "shepherding visits" over going to night school. So did another "brother" who was told to get specific job-related training by his JW boss!!!

Mustang

• Latte
    Latte

E-man

Oh yes, my youngest has left home...to go to UNI!

Excellent!! I wish him many student parties........and every success!

Latte

• benext
    benext

I wish I had gone on to college back in the 70's. But I thought I'd never need the education. No money back guarantees from the Society is there?

• Farkel
    Farkel

mustang,

: "I've had JWs tell me that the WTBTS never really discouraged kids from going to college and that it was a personal decision on their part. THAT IS HORSE HOCKEY! I was there and lived it."

Yep. My own PO had to come to my high school and explain to my counselor why I could not attend college. My counselor said he thought it was a big mistake. My PO and I silently laughed as we KNEW we were right and that scoffing counselor would be dead at armageddon in a very few years. This was in 1966.

The counselor was right. It WAS a big mistake. My PO and I were both idiots tricked by a self-serving cult.

Farkel

• Dia
    Dia

Craig,

You're not alone in this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit