Yes the WT Told Millions of Youth NO COLLEGE!!

by JT 66 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

*** Watchtower September 1 1975 p.543 Questions from Readers ***

How many years of secular education are advisable for children in Christian households?

Today, there are many teenage baptized servants of Jehovah... how far should they go with a secular education? It would hardly be consistent for such a youth, of his own choice, to pursue extensive secular studies beyond what is required by the law and by his parents... additional years of college education may present snares.

[Emphasis Added]

Now the question is Consistent WITH WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** Watchtower 1969 March 15 p.171 What Influences Decisions in Your Life? ***

12 The influence and spirit of this world is to get ahead, to make a name for oneself. Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them brainwash you with the Devils propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any future this world offers is no future! Wisely, then, let Gods Word influence you in selecting a course that will result in your protection and blessing. Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!

[Emphasis Added]

For any lurker out there who says the WT NEVER TOLD IT'S youth not to go to college what is the clear message that the FDS trying to tell young folks and till this very day they are still preaching the same basis message

ck out the 1998 nov km

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Yeah, and a lot of parents and children pragmatically ignored that message. Even the children of elders have (quietly) attended and graduated from college. Even pioneers have to support themselves, and those who don't are ostracized in this part of town.

Witnesses worry too much about the end of the world. In the meantime the bills have to be paid.

• metatron
    metatron

let's not forget the May 22 '69 Awake

college isn't needed because you will never GROW OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

metatron

• ronin1
    ronin1

The point is that the Society did make such a statement and did not encourage JW's to go to college.

The point is that many did not go, when they really should have. Myself included.

I am now going "back to school" to obtain my degree.

It's a travesty now and it was a travesty back then.'

Ronin1

• minimus
    minimus

I didn't go to college for a couple of reasons. First, we didn't have the money for additional school. And second, the end was right around the corner, so why waste your time?

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

That explains alot.

What about going to school now? You seem to have alot of time on your hands.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Millions now living will never learn. WTB&TS inc.

gb

• minimus
    minimus

notperfectyet, not obsessed, huh? Or is it too much time on your hands???

• sonoita
    sonoita

Ditto JT,

Just another thing that was none of their business to comment on. It should have been and should still be an entirely personal decision based on ones own conscience.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

JT,

Funny that they will pay the expenses to educate one of thier own 'bethelite' brothers, so he can fight thier battles with all the proper credentials.

Do I detect a double standard here?

I will tell you what would be just deserts for them.....

For each of the Society Edumacated Mouthpieces=lawyers, to all of a sudden up and leave........starting thier own private practice, in Brooklyn, helping former bethelites like Toth recover $$$$$$ for all the years of unpaid service!!!!

Now that would be justice!

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit