ARE JW'S MORE HONEST THAN OTHERS?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I experienced a lot of dishonesty from others in the troof. It ranged from small things to very evil things. In contemplating these actions I don't think the evil things were any more than the public at large, but the small things seemed to happen more often than I experienced from non jws.

I think it was so disappointing due to the constant statements in the publications as to the superior way of life and honesty etc. of the organization as a whole.

I expected better and was very disappointed to recieve a little less from jws than I received from others outside the org.

What added to that was the practice of hiding or covering up the evil things that happened. This is what brought about my telling the elders what I thought of their cowardly actions and lead to their wanting me out. They pushed until they found a way to df me. This was yet another evil action in my eyes that would not have been allowed outside of the organization. Where I could have at least taken my own civil/criminal actions against the perps.

Outoftheorg

• amac
    amac

Quotes -

I would like to make a defense for JWs

• vandalism/destruction of opposing view (a.k.a. Apostate) books at public libraries
    This must be viewed as a generalization. I ask anyone reading this, how many JWs did you ever know that would do something like this? And then compare that to how many JWs you have ever known. Personally, I do not know a single JW that would do this.
  • illegal entry into homes and apartment buildings clearly marked "No Tresspassing"
    Again, if there was an actual sign that said "No Trespassing" the majority of JWs I know would not trespass. Apartment buildings are different as they usually don't have a sign that says "No trespassing" so there is no "illegal entry."
  • failure to report suspected and alleged child molestation, contrary to mandatory reporting laws

The elders that do not report are not breaking laws (unfortunately.) As it has been pointed out many times, in most states there are loop holes that say clergy do not have to report. Now there are average JWs who do not report it, but that is far from exclusive to JWs and usually has to do with a lack of education on the matter. Conversely, there are many JWs who DO report child molestations.

• failure to pay taxes ordered by the French government. They simply moved out of the contry to avoid payment. So much for "paying Caesar's things to Caesar".
  • I am not sure if you are familiar with the details of this tax issue, but it was highly criminal on the GOVERNMENT's part. They were trying to retroactively apply an obscure estate tax law to any donations made to the society. The WT tried to fight it in court legally. I see no illegal actions there.

abducting children to prevent court ordered, life saving, blood transfusions

This very well may happen, but I am not personally aware of any children that have needed transfusions, so I can't comment either way.

abducting children to prevent court ordered custody of a "non-believing" parent

I have never heard of this happening, so I can only imagine that, again, if it has, it has been done by an extreme minority of JWs.

• bribing Mexican government officals to receive a "cartilla" which indicates that mandatory military service has already been served
  • I only know hearsay about these events so can't comment either way.

• telling lies while under oath, claiming it is not a lie but rather "spiritual warfare"
    Although, again, I do not know of any accounts personally, I can imagine this one as being true, but I do not know for fact.
  • Just the flipside here...

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

However, as an organization, they do stress the importance of honesty and how it ties in both with worship of God and one's salvation very well. As a group, I think they do a fine job (in fact, too good) of keeping their members in line with their teachings.

Yeah, Right!!!!!

Give me examples. You already gave rebuttals to Quotes. Now, give me examples about what you said. So far, they haven't practiced what they preach.

• Europe
    Europe
    One thing that the Witnesses promote is how they are different from the rest of the world. In your personal experience , did you find that you could trust a Witness more than you could a non-JW?

They can promote everything they want but they still are as human as the rest of the world.

But 'normal' people dont pretend as if they are better than the rest of the world so if they f.i. tell a lie it doesnt matter that much, but if you are a J.W. and tell a lie after you told people you never tell a lie that's a different case....

• amac
    amac
    Give me examples. You already gave rebuttals to Quotes. Now, give me examples about what you said

What kind of examples do you want? I made a statement that the WT as an organization stresses the importance of honesty. Do you disagree with this? Do you want me to post references to WT and Awake articles talking about honesty? I hope not, because I don't think I could be bothered. If you were ever a JW you have to acknowledge that honesty is talked about both in print and from the platform quite a bit, unless you were sleeping the whole time.

The second half of my statement was that they do a good job of keeping everyone in line with their teachings. I think everyone on this site is a good example of that. As soon as you step out of line and then don't jump back the way they tell you to, you get the boot. Do you disagree that they are very strict and effective at keeping all their members thoughts and actions in line with their teachings?

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

Amac

You have little, to no idea what you are talking about. Must be you are a 100% newbie.

Re: ARE JW'S MORE HONEST THAN OTHERS?

The answer to the above thread is NO. They (JDubs) continually brag, and beat to death the point, that JW'S are so honest and that they go out of their way to "pay their taxes'. They obey Satans laws of the land like no others. That point has been driven down our throats at assemblies, meeting parts etc. over and over again, and it so far removed from what they do when nobodys is watching, that it makes me sick! Wake up. Jdubs are the biggest bunch of hypocrites, liars cheaters, fakers..........the list goes on.

Edited by - Disengaged on 5 September 2002 13:46:18

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Most Witnesses are honest when it comes to outwardly appearance. Anything to make the org look good. If they find a wallet, they will return it. They won't mug someone, shoplift, etc. When it comes to the secret things that nobody will find out they don't care. An example:

My ex-father-in-law and I were at a Pick-a-part (junkyard for cars) looking for parts for our cars. there is a 1 dollar charge to get in, you take the parts off of junkers and buy them as you leave. He always grabs as pocket full of fuses and doesn't pay for them because he says he is getting his dollars worth. Another elder clued him in on this. Pretty much any small thing he needs that will fit in his pocket he will take. On the other hand, when he has puppies to sell, he will claim the income for his tax returns, so he can look good for his tax prepairer.

Like I said, anything to make the org look good.

• amac
    amac

Amac

You have little, to no idea what you are talking about. Must be you are a 100% newbie.

I'm stumped. How can I argue with that? What an intellect! By the way, what am I a newbie at?

• amac
    amac

I love it! More empty accusations...

Jdubs are the biggest bunch of hypocrites, liars cheaters, fakers..........the list goes on.
    Please explain how you have come to this conclusion about an entire group of people. But first, remember that a personal experience about how you were cheated by an elder in your hall will not cut it for a generalization for a group of 6 million. And also, please provide relevant proof...in other words, for them to be the "biggest bunch" these evil actions must be proven to be more consistent and evil than the average joe, otherwise they would be just as much liars, cheaters, fakers as the rest of us.
  • Disengaged
    Disengaged

Please explain how you have come to this conclusion about an entire group of people. But first, remember that a personal experience about how you were cheated by an elder in your hall will not cut it for a generalization for a group of 6 million. And also, please provide relevant proof...in other words, for them to be the "biggest bunch" these evil actions must be proven to be more consistent and evil than the average joe, otherwise they would be just as much liars, cheaters, fakers as the rest of us.

In my opinon and experience the above are what they are. And I do not need to provide proof to you or anyone else, that this is so. It goes far beyond my personal experiences. Just read one thread after another here, and you'll see that many are in unison and feel the same as I quoted.

"remember that a personal experience about how you were cheated by an elder in your hall will not cut it for a generalization for a group of 6 million."

Who says so? How on earth are we supposed to form an opinion on the dealings of "6 million" we have no time to spend with all of them and come to any conclusions. The ones I have spent time with broad brush the rest .(In my opinion) Sorry Amac you lose.

Edited by - Disengaged on 5 September 2002 14:21:42

Edited by - Disengaged on 5 September 2002 16:5:12

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit