Would/Do you wear a Cross around your neck ??

by Prisca 66 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah, I have been very curious about this, too.

I was wondering,

1. How about the early church's symbol of the fish? Any idea how the WTS explains that in to a pagan symbol?
    2. Isreal had symbolic decorations on the first temple - palm fronds, I believe. Veeery Egyptian. Might have something to do with former artisan slaves educated in Egypt. Jehovah, in fact, instructed them to decorate in this way. Jehovah instructed Isreal in pagan decoration?
    3. If the stake is the appropriate symbol, what would the approved WTS jewellry look like? The finger?
    4. And let's not forget the horns around the altar. Ancient pre-Isrealite symbol of....strength, if you know what I mean.

I rarely wear jewellry - couldn't be bothered - but I would not be afraid of the cross as a symbol.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Ech. I don't like crosses. Itz not about the cross vs stake thing.
    The whole concept I just don't get.
    Like if I cared about someone and they died "for me",
    only they were stabbed or shot, would i idolize the weapon of their destruction
    by wearing a knife or gun around my neck or hung on my wall?

Nope.

And as far as letting everyone know they're a Christian...
    well, the crosses i've seen usually are coupled with
    very un-christlike behaviour.

But whatever. Who am i to judge. So i don't. I just don't like 'em.

SPAZ

• Preston
    Preston
    Would you were a cross around your neck??

Only if there was a circle on the end of it.

O+

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Good question, but nah, I wouldn't wear one. Only because I'm not religious in any way shape or form. But I'm working on being more spiritual.

I still tend to link the symbol of the cross with catholicism - must be my babylon the great mentality, I don't know. But unless I wanted to become a friend of jesus, I probably wouldn't wear one.

Beck

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Actually now that I think about it, it would make a good weapon. It certainly wouldn't be considered carrying a concealed weapon. hmmm...do they also come with points?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Before I became a JW I had always worn a cross that my grandmother had given me as a small child. It was gold, with my birthstone (ruby) in the center, and relatively small...not gawdy or anything. Sadly I threw it away (along with Rosary beads filled with water from Lourdes that someone had given me when I was very sick in the hospital; and one of the nicest crucifixes I have ever seen that hung over my bed for YEARS that I tossed in a wastebasket before baptism)

It took a couple of years after I DAed myself, to buy a pair of very tiny pierced silver earrings with crosses on them (BOY! Did I feel DARING wearing them out in public! <grin> And last summer I bought a silver cross that I wore everywhere! My hubby gave me a very delicate gold cross for our anniversary last September.....so there it is! LOL!

I think at this time, it's more of a "statement" to announce my new nonJW status rather than a "religious thing"......

hugs,

Annie

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I wear a pentagram with a purple crystal hanging from it. What would the Witnesses say about that?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Right when I left the borg, a cousin gave me this purse I had admired of hers. I was putting all my things in the little pockets and found a rosery.I dont think she left it there on purpose , I was out of town by now and didnt feel right keeping it in the motel room. I threw it away, but felt like I had done something wrong there to.

I have always had a fasination with wearing a cross necklace because all of my catholic relatives did.I always admired how they would touch it and it seemed to mean so much to them. We were taught it might as well be the symbol of satan, but I didnt see it that way even as a jw child.

I bought a cross necklace several months ago, but the feeling just wasnt there. I wanted it to mean something to me and it didnt. I would like for it one day to mean something , but until it does I don't feel right just wearing it as jewelry . I would want it to mean something.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I do not wear a cross around my neck, If i even LOOK at a cross I start to get really angry and swear a lot. This body I inhabit keeps rupturing forth with cross symbols, erupting under the skin, These bleed like crazy and are very annoying. Not only that but the words " JESUS...HELP ME " keep forming under the skin of my belly and my bedroom is like an ICE BOX. Any suggestions?

• Matty
    Matty

Do you remember Bill Hicks? He was a genius. I remember one of his routines where he said (from what I remember that is) "A lot of Christians like to wear a cross around their necks. Do you really think that when Jesus comes back he will ever want to see a f*cking cross again? It's kinda like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on, saying 'look Jackie this is an exact replica, I just loved your husband!'"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit