Would/Do you wear a Cross around your neck ??

by Prisca 66 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just a scriptural note, Spaz. Symbols do not equal idols. The first temple was decorated with symbolic palms, as directed by Jehovah, by artisans trained in Egypt. Later, the Messiah was ushered in the Jerusalem on a carpet of palms. Images such as the dove, and lion and the lamb lying together, remain in both Jewish and Christian faiths.

Monuments like the pillar of stones were built to help Isrealites pass on stories of Jehovah's provision from generation to generation. I see that similarly, the cross is an important reminder of Christ's sacrifice for many people. I see nothing evil in that.

It seems we get in trouble when our creations become more important than our Creator. The stake that turned in to a snake, for instance, or the golden calves.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Good pointz jgnat.

Interesting rationale. So what is an idol then? How 'bout a graven image?
    And how is a cross not a graven image/ idol but merely a symbol? Seems like semantics to me. Although i would imagine each and every human being might see it a little differently.

IF
    the bible says no idolatry. also no graven images. nothing in the likeness of anything on the earth to be used in worship. so i make an idol and say well, its not an idol its a SYMBOL of the sacrifice christ made for me, which sacrifice is holy according to the scriptures and heck god commanded the use of symbolic other stuff too therefore it is not actual idolatry and should be allowed.

THEN
    the bible also says no fornicate.
    but as long as the sex i have is a SYMBOL of the love i have, which love is approved of in the bible and heck king david had many wives and concubines and god allowed that, therefore my SYMBOLIC act of love, shouldn't count as fornication. cool!

btw...just so we're clear...i wuzn't saying crosses are eeeeevil.
    (i know you didn't say i said that,
    just want to make sure i wuzn't coming across saying they are evil)i do however, feel that crosses fit the dictionary definition of an image, thus my reference to the scriptural admonition against graven images and they also can definitely be idolized...i mean, if wearing it around your neck or hanging it on your wall, especially praying to it or using it in worship to the extent that most people use the cross isn't idolizing it, perhapz i'm out to lunch on the term idolatry?).

The only thing i can think to say 'bout the 'symbolic palms' thing is that aside from it being a symbol, and from what you said, if it wuz a command from jehovah to observe in that manner and on that occasion, is that i've never seen god tell anyone anywhere in the bible to venerate the cross as an image, symbol, idol or otherwise.

Whether or not "everybody else is doing it",
    ie...continued use of images in jewish religion, or in christendom,
    means very little to me.

I agree with you, theoretically, that peoples creations becoming more important than their creator is a greater cause for concern. I think that could be whut bugs me most about the use, or misuse as the case may be, of the cross.

I do think it is kinda nice whut frusr8td said about his/her cross reminding him/her throughout the day of spiritual things s/he believes in. Most religions seem to have something or other like this in their worship, no? The first one that comes to my mind is the underwear the Mormons wear that reminds them of their vows. Only their 'symbol' is private and hidden and in no way a "look at me" in-your-face kind of statement, like the cross can come across as.

Your commentz are interesting. Food for thought i guess. Ultimately, to me, it all spells just a way that the Bible itself contradicts itself, and/or leaves itself way too open to human speculation, rationalization, interpretation.

SPAZ

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, SPAZnik. It is fun to tangle with an inquiring mind.

I do admit to some lazy logic on the difference between an IDOL and a SYMBOL. Since the jewish people are well known for their deep inquiry in to these matters, I did assume they have reconciled themselves about the difference. I do think we can learn something from what they will and will not do. I thought of another example, that is very similar to the cross - Jehovah's written words carried in a vial around the neck, as a constant daily reminder of all His promises for his people.

It is pretty clear that an Idol is something that people worship as a replacement for God. A modern example, I would think, would be Elvis.

Can an ACT be a SYMBOL? Hmmmm. Maybe. The sacrifice of lambs culminating in the great sacrifice that Jesus gave has some enormous symbolism attached to it. The eating of the bread and the drinking of the wine symbolic of eating Jesus' flesh and blood. Does that mean that an anointed witness is guilty of taking blood by eating and drinking at a memorial?

Great leap of logic with the fornication thing, though. If sex is a SYMBOL of something, it seems to me it would be of the wonderful union one soul can have with another. A joining of mind and heart and flesh.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments in this thread. When I first posted it, I thought Id just get a couple of comments and then the thread would be lost forever, but it seems this is a topic that many of us have thought about.

I have been thinking about this subject myself, and that's why I posed the question. I had been thinking about buying a cross to wear, nothing flashy, but just something that would mean something to me. It would also be a way of symbolising my departure from the JWs, since they forbid anything associated with a cross, so it would be a bit of a rebellion of sorts. I'm still in 2 minds over the issue, but your comments have given me food for thought. Thanks.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Why should I wear a reminder of Jesus's torture. However, my house is full of other Eastern and Native American spiritual relics and idols.

My home also has many Native American symbols about.

In particular are "dreamCatchers"

The society sees them as satanic in nature however I could not disagree more. The society sees what it sees through eastern eyes not nature.

Hanging something over the bed of a child to dazzle the eyes and catch the good dreams for safe keeping is not satanic nor is it even ugly.No blood dripping from anything being tortured.

Not to mention the idea of hanging dangling things over a babies crib to help the baby rest and have something to focus on besides the wall is not something the GB has admonished YET that I am aware of. At least not as long as one does NOT call them "DreamCatchers" Even though the subliminal messages could be there if one wanted to see it that way.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 20 July 2002 22:13:3

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

I wear a beautiful diamond cross and never take it off. When I was a JW, I had thrown out my cross and it was one of the first things that I put back into my life when I left the WTS. I am a Christian. It is a Christian symbol of the love God has shown for us in the sacrifice of his son. It means a great deal to me and I will always wear one.

Trot

• d
    d

I do not wear a cross but I respect those who do. I have a buddha figure in my room a friend got me.I do not make a big dea out symbols. I do not see people that wear crosses as necklaces as worship.

• designs
    designs

Sea shell necklace....no surprise there eh

www.surfrider.org

• ziddina
    ziddina

Meh....

I'd only wear a cross if I was trying to look "Goth"...

I do wear:

aspen leaves - a silver one and a gold one....

Celtic "Book of Kells" cat icon http://www.gaelsong.com/product/60487/cats-owls-ravens

Celtic triple-knot pendant

Pentacle - and here's a very interesting site describing the different mystical qualities attributed to the pentacle - you'll note that the pentacle or pentagram was part of the "Seal of Solomon"...

http://isisinvestigations.com/isis-blog/2010/01/13/the-pentacle-verses-the-pentagram-%E2%80%93-what%E2%80%99s-the-difference/

"Wheel of the Year" - the eight-point cycle of solstices, equinoxes and midway points between each solstice and equinox...

copper wheel of the year

• M*A*S*H

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit