Would/Do you wear a Cross around your neck ??

by Prisca 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

I think we should listen to Jesus. Why would I wear a reminder of torture and death? It doesn't bother me at all to see someone else wear a cross (I have come to respect the beliefs of other people), but it's not for me. When I went to an Episcopal boarding school, I wore a St. Christopher's medal on a chain around my neck. At the time, I was wanting to become a nun. So, like lyingeyes, it would need to mean something for me to wear one.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I don't think I would wear a cross for the same reason Windchaser mentioned. Why should I wear a reminder of Jesus's torture. However, my house is full of other Eastern and Native American spiritual relics and idols.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I own one...but only because a really good friend gave it to me and I keep it purely for sentimental reasons.

I don't think I have ever worn it. I don't wear crosses only because I really dont see any beauty in them.

I wear a quartz crystal on my neck....I think that has much more beauty than a cross ever could.

Spice

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

crosses are very trendy right now. so i might get one and wear it, just for fun. maybe a little silver one. i don't have any now, though. i got one when i left the org, as an act of rebellion. but i only wore it a couple of times. i felt it clearly identified me as a religious freak, so i gave it to a friend.

i don't understand why the pope is all hot over hollywood stars wearing them. what's worse is child-molesting bishops and priests wearing them...

Catherine Zeta Jones and Jennifer Aniston

• P
    P

I was brought up a JW and left about 5 years ago. My dad, an elder, is a big garage sale freak. well, get this, he found someone selling a cross that he discovered was gold and it was cheap. so he bought it, because it was gold and it was a "find" and gave it to me, because i am not a practicing JW.

my mom (full-time pioneer) was really quiet as my dad was bringing it out and i was staring at her with a smirk on my face. i took it and i did wear it for a while, only to remind me what a joke my parents are.

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

hmmm..the argument "why would I want to where a symble of tourture" does not hold water with me. Personally I beleve that jesus died on that cross for me. It's not a reminder of his tourture...but of his sacrifice...of which I will never be worthy. But hey...combined with the statement I made early in this thread, every time I feel it against me as go about my daily life, I am reminded of these things. It's a consistant reminder in my day to day life...when the mind is full of the things in this life. I might feel it and look down and be re-assured that no mattter how bad/hard things are....it's only a temporary condition. It brings me much comfort.

I guess that is the real point in all of this...also the real point to God. What does it mean to you? The WT will say "to do this means..." or "to celibrate this means...." They TELL you what it means...there is NO room for what it means to YOU. Many never know the origins of these holidays, customs, ECT.... before comeing to the JW's. These things have there own special meaning to them....but then the WT says "This is what it means" therefore it's bad. Who are they to tell me what it means to me? If God, in the end, looks at what's in your heart, who are they to say this is what it means to God?

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

I have to agree with

T O P I C R E V I E W
    FRUSR8TD
    on this one. To me it is symbolic of Christ's sacrafice for me, not some glorification of his torture. If I wanted to glorify his torture, I would wear a statue of a roman with a hammer and nails. If your loved one is shot, you can look at their pictures and contemplate their life and the tragedy. Does anyone here have a picture of Jesus circa AD 33??? I know I sure dont! The Cross is a connection to His eternal love and Sacrafice.

Edited by - crazy151drinker on 18 July 2002 12:19:41

• JanH
    JanH

Hmm, perhaps I'd wear a cross upside-down...

Actually, I have a tattoo of a form of a cross, an Ankh. That is an ancient symbol of sexual union.

The ankh is a symbol of life, the Christian cross is a symbol of death.

- Jan

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

I dont wear a cross,although I have no problem if anybody wants to wear one.

I do wear a pewter bears claw with a Canadian indians symbol which was given to me by some good friends in Nova Scotia,it means something personel to me which I think is what counts,it is supposed to give me the tenacity and strength of a grizzely bear,I wonder if anybodys ever noticed!,in a crisis I can also open bottles with it,extremly usefull.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

great thread Prisca,
    all the comments are very interesting here.
    not all that surprising
    that the reasons for wearing a cross range from
    "it's trendy",
    to sentimentality (my friend gave me one),
    to rebellion (i liked this one - lol),
    and on to deeper spiritual/religious "reminders".

FRUSR8TD...i can see your point and it is interesting to hear what it means to you.
    i totally agree with your statement that the real point is "What does it mean to you?"

To me, the cross is and remains a symbol of religious organizations i do not respect, along with the hypocrisy in their well-meaning followers. also a symbol of jesus's torturous death.
    I also cannot forget the scriptures in the Bible that say "no idolatry" and "no graven images",
    right back as basic as the 10 commandments.
    So I guess what it really means to me is yet another glaring double standard of people
    claiming to be devout christians and followers of christ who claim to follow the bible
    yet ignore these outright biblical commands.

I ignore bible standards myself, however I do not claim to follow them or to be christian.
    I don't really give a ratz ass what other people choose to do about it.
    If it brings you comfort in spite of what the bible says about idolatry and graven images,
    hey, great. Whatever works for you and your personal "religion" / "spirituality".

I just find it interesting and contradictory all at the same time due to the above reasons.

People claiming to be christian and wearing a cross around their neck kinda rubs me about the same way as jw's coming to their door rubs most people, i guess.

The only place a cross doesn't bother me, is when it is used in some kinda spiritistic movie with witches and nightdemonz, draculas and the like that need "warding off".
    It seems fitting in a demonic setting somehow.

Thatz "what it means to me".

SPAZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit