Why is Hope a good quality?

by Bleep 98 Replies latest watchtower bible

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

btw bleep

I am not motivated when It comes to spending all my time exercising since it is not that benaficial.

You must be thinking of a prior conversation with the 11mile a day walker walking her way to heaven while pointing out all the future dead people on the way. Different forum maybe?

3 a) Can't follow direction with anything? I tried to beg and plead this when I first posted this thing. >>>Dont be disecting my words and listing stuff you dont like. Just try to list some good stuff,no bad stuff ok

3 b) Guess people love to say haha I am doing what I want and I will be happy without you God.

Requests such as 3a. might be more possible if you would leave out the comments such as 3b. Just a thought.

No offense but you sound like you're reciting from literature or copying and pasting.

Don't know what your objective here is but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere at all.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 18 July 2002 20:35:0

• jgnat
    jgnat

This has been a most enlightening topic. It is amazing, plukrzy, larc, double edge, how you patiently and persistently tried to bring Bleep back to the subject at hand. I admire gravedancer for giving me something to think about. JT, Crazy 151, Gently Feral, kudos to you all.

I am worried about Bleep. The answers are disjointed, all over the map - and straight out of the WTS materials. I expect a loyal witness to avoid subjects that interfere with their dearly held belief systems, but this one is right off the map. It is as if a computer were spewing out random answers. It appears Bleep came in expecting to be crudely attacked by satan's agents - after all, true light can stand to the test!

I found a great quote today,

The pursuit of truth is like picking raspberries. You miss a lot if you approach it from only one angle. Randal Marlin

• Bleep
    Bleep

Jesus Christ was the great teacher using many ways to reach the hearts of his students. It is very hard to teach when no one will attend class. They had no real Bible study and never took it to heart here. Goes back to the do your own thing thinking. All the faithfull ones of old never questioned why they should do this or that. I know how to have a balanced life so I only spend five minutes a day here and check in every now and then. Its too bad no one wants to hear the truth these days but Jehovah is the one who draws the right hearted ones. I can only spark interest. Not too many sparks here but it was the same for Jesus.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Wrong again plmkrazy. If you want me to cut and paste I can. You might have to use the vertical scroll alot more. If you want I can get my watchtower library up and running.

• Bleep
    Bleep

Here you go, I could not resist.

HOPE

It can mean trust, reliance; desire accompanied with expectation of what is desired or belief that it is attainable; one on whom hopes are centered; a source of hopeful expectation, or promise; something that is hoped for, or an object of hope. The Hebrew root verb qawah', from which come terms rendered "hope," basically means "wait for" with eager expectation. (Ge 49:18) In the Christian Greek Scriptures, the sense of the Greek term elpis' (hope) is "expectation of good."

No Real Hope Without God. True hope, as spoken of in the Bible, is superior to mere desire, which may have no foundation or prospect of fulfillment. It is also better than mere expectation, because that which is expected is not always desirable. The Bible shows that the people of the world in general have no real, solidly based hope; mankind is going into death, and without knowledge of a provision from a higher source there is no hope in what lies ahead. Solomon expressed the futility of man's situation without God's intervention as "the greatest vanity! . . . Everything is vanity."-Ec 12:8; 9:2, 3.

The faithful patriarch Job said that there is hope even for a tree to sprout again, but man, when he dies, is gone permanently. But Job then indicated that he was speaking of man on his own without help from God, for Job expressed the desire and hope that God would remember him. (Job 14:7-15) Similarly, the apostle Paul informs Christians that they, having the hope of resurrection, should not "sorrow just as the rest also do who have no hope." (1Th 4:13) Again, speaking to Gentile Christians, Paul points out to them that before coming to a knowledge of God's provision through Christ, they were alienated from the nation with which God had in the past been dealing, and as Gentiles they then "had no hope and were without God in the world."-Eph 2:12.

Expressions common among those who have no hope in God and his promise of a resurrection of the dead are similar to the words of the disobedient inhabitants of Jerusalem who, instead of showing repentance and sorrow when faced with the threat of destruction of their city as a judgment from God, abandoned themselves to sensual enjoyment. They said: "Let there be eating and drinking, for tomorrow we shall die." (Isa 22:13) The apostle warns against becoming infected with the attitude of such hopeless ones.-1Co 15:32, 33.

Wrong Hopes. Paul was not denying that the people of the world have some reasonable hopes that they pursue, some of a commendable nature. Rather, he showed that, without God, a person's hopes are of no consequence; really, they are futile in the long run.

But besides the minor, common, normal human hopes there are bad ones. There are hopes that are wickedly entertained. In some instances these may appear to be fulfilled, but in actuality they are realized only in a temporary sense, for a proverb states: "The expectation of the righteous ones is a rejoicing, but the very hope of the wicked ones will perish." (Pr 10:28) Additionally, "When a wicked man dies, his hope perishes; and even expectation based on powerfulness has perished." (Pr 11:7) So, selfish hopes, and those based on a false foundation of materialism, on lies, on wrong dealings, or on the power or promises of men, are sure to be frustrated.

The Source of Hope. Jehovah God is the Source of true hope and the One able to fulfill all his promises and the hopes of those trusting in him. It is through his undeserved kindness that he has given mankind "comfort and good hope." (2Th 2:16) He has been the hope of righteous men in all ages. He was called "the hope of Israel" and "the hope of [Israel's] forefathers" (Jer 14:8; 17:13; 50:7), and many are the expressions of hope, trust, and confidence in him in the Hebrew Scriptures. In his loving-kindness toward his people, even when they were going into exile for disobedience to him, he said to them: "I myself well know the thoughts that I am thinking toward you, . . . thoughts of peace, and not of calamity, to give you a future and a hope." (Jer 29:11) Jehovah's promise kept alive the faith and hope of faithful Israelites during the Babylonian exile; it greatly strengthened men such as Ezekiel and Daniel, for Jehovah had said: "There exists a hope for your future, . . . and the sons will certainly return to their own territory." (Jer 31:17) That hope came to fruition when a faithful Jewish remnant returned in 537 B.C.E. to rebuild Jerusalem and its temple.-Ezr 1:1-6.

Hope of Reward Proper. The hope of the servant of God that he will receive a reward is not selfishness. For a true view and proper understanding of God, a person must know that loving-kindness and generosity are outstanding qualities of God; the individual must believe not only that God is but also "that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him." (Heb 11:6) Hope keeps the Christian minister balanced and in God's service, knowing that Jehovah will provide his daily needs. The apostle Paul points this out, drawing on the principles set forth in the Law. Paul quotes the law at Deuteronomy 25:4: "You must not muzzle a bull while it is threshing." He then adds: "Really for our sakes it was written, because the man who plows ought to plow in hope and the man who threshes ought to do so in hope of being a partaker."-1Co 9:9, 10.

Essential to Faith. Hope is also essential to faith; it is the groundwork and basis for faith. (Heb 11:1) In turn, faith makes the hope brighter and stronger. The apostle Paul, in order to strengthen Christians, cites the fine example of Abraham. When Abraham and his wife Sarah were, from a human standpoint, beyond the hope of having children, it is said: "Although beyond hope, yet based on hope he had faith, that he might become the father of many nations in accord with what had been said: 'So your seed will be.'" Abraham knew that as far as producing children was concerned, his body and that of Sarah were "deadened." But he did not grow weak in faith. Why? "Because of the promise of God he did not waver in a lack of faith, but became powerful by his faith."-Ro 4:18-20.

The apostle then applies Abraham's example of faith and hope to Christians, concluding: "Let us exult, based on hope of the glory of God . . . and the hope does not lead to disappointment; because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy spirit, which was given us."-Ro 5:2, 5.

The Christian Hope. The hope of the Christian and, indeed, of mankind lies in Jesus Christ. The gaining of lasting life in heaven or on earth was not open to any of humankind until Christ Jesus "shed light upon life and incorruption through the good news." (2Ti 1:10) The spirit-begotten brothers of Christ are told that they have heavenly hopes because of the great mercy of God, who gave to them "a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." (1Pe 1:3, 4; Col 1:5, 27; Tit 1:1, 2; 3:6, 7) This happy hope is to be realized "at the revelation of Jesus Christ." (1Pe 1:13, 21; Tit 2:13) Christ Jesus is therefore called "our hope" by the apostle Paul.-1Ti 1:1.

This hope of everlasting life and incorruption for those who are "partakers of the heavenly calling" (Heb 3:1) is solidly based and is something that can be confidently relied on. It is supported by two things in which it is impossible for God to lie, namely, his promise and his oath, and the hope resides with Christ, who is now immortal in the heavens. Therefore this hope is spoken of as "an anchor for the soul, both sure and firm, and it enters in within the curtain [as the high priest entered the Most Holy on the Day of Atonement], where a forerunner has entered in our behalf, Jesus, who has become a high priest according to the manner of Melchizedek forever."-Heb 6:17-20.

Must be developed and maintained. The necessity for Christians to hold on to the "one hope" (Eph 4:4) is constantly stressed in the Bible. It requires continued industriousness and the exercise of freeness of speech and "boasting" over the hope itself. (Heb 3:6; 6:11) Hope is developed by endurance under tribulation; this leads to an approved condition before God, from whom hope comes. (Ro 5:2-5) It is placed alongside faith and love as one of the three qualities characterizing the Christian congregation since the disappearance of the miraculous gifts of the spirit that were present in the first-century congregation.-1Co 13:13.

Qualities and benefits. Hope is indispensable to the Christian. It accompanies joy, peace, and power of holy spirit. (Ro 15:13) It promotes freeness of speech in the approach to God for his undeserved kindness and mercy. (2Co 3:12) It enables the Christian to endure with rejoicing, no matter what the conditions may be. (Ro 12:12; 1Th 1:3) As a helmet protected the head of a warrior, so the hope of salvation protects the mental powers, enabling the Christian to maintain integrity. (1Th 5:8) Hope is a strengthening thing, because, while the anointed Christian yet on earth does not possess the reward of heavenly life, his desire with expectation is so strong that, despite severe trials and difficulties, he keeps on waiting patiently for the hoped-for thing with endurance.-Ro 8:24, 25.

Hope helps keep the Christian in a clean way of life, for he knows that God and Christ, in whom the hope lies, are pure and that he cannot hope to be like God and to receive the reward if he practices uncleanness or unrighteousness. (1Jo 3:2, 3) It is closely allied with the greatest quality, love, for one having the true love of God will also have hope in all of God's promises. And he will, additionally, hope the very best for his brothers in the faith, loving them and trusting their sincerity of heart in Christ.-1Co 13:4, 7; 1Th 2:19.

Superior to hope under the Law. Prior to the giving of the Law to Israel, the faithful forefathers of the nation had hope in God. (Ac 26:6, 7; Ge 22:18; Mic 7:20; 2Ti 1:3) They looked for God's provision for life. When the Law came, it appeared at first that here would be the fulfillment of their hope. But, on the contrary, the Law exposed all as sinners before God and, by making transgressions manifest, condemned all under it to death. (Ga 3:19; Ro 7:7-11) The Law itself was holy, not bad; yet by its very holiness and righteousness, it exposed the imperfections of those under it. (Ro 7:12) As foretold through the prophets, it was necessary for God to bring in "a better hope" through Jesus Christ, setting aside the Law and enabling those putting faith in Christ to draw near to God.-Heb 7:18, 19; 11:40; compare Jer 31:31-34.

Hope for all mankind. The undeserved kindness of God is further magnified in that the wonderful hope that he opened up for the spiritual brothers of Jesus Christ, to be joint heirs with him in the heavenly calling (Heb 3:1), is also closely tied in with a hope for all mankind who desire to serve God. The apostle Paul, after outlining the hope of those who have the expectation of becoming the heavenly "sons of God" and joint heirs with Christ, explains: "The eager expectation of the creation is waiting for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will but through him that subjected it, on the basis of hope that the creation itself also will be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God."-Ro 8:14, 17, 19-21.

According to Paul's words at Romans 8:20, 21, Jehovah God did not destroy man's forefather Adam at the time of his sin, but he allowed men to be born from an imperfect father, with futility facing them not because of any deliberate fault of their own, but because of inherited imperfection. However, God did not leave them without hope but kindly set forth hope through the promised "seed" (Ge 3:15; 22:18), who is Jesus Christ. (Ga 3:16) Doubtless because the time of Messiah's first coming had been forecast in prophecy, the preaching of John the Baptizer roused the expectations of the nation of Israel. (Lu 3:15; Da 9:24-27) Jesus fulfilled that hope by his ministry, death, and resurrection. But the great hope for mankind in general, both the living and the dead, lies in the Kingdom of Christ, when he and his joint heirs serve as heavenly kings and priests. Then mankind exercising faith will eventually be released from the corruption of imperfection and sin and will come to the full status of "children of God." Their hope is reinforced by God's resurrection of his Son more than 1,900 years ago.-Ac 17:31; 23:6; 24:15.

Jehovah God has provided his Word the Bible with its instruction and examples, so that all men may have hope. (Ro 15:4; 1Co 10:11; 2Ti 3:16, 17) This hope has to be proclaimed to others by those possessing it; in so doing, the possessor of hope saves himself and those who listen to him.-1Pe 3:15; 1Ti 4:16.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Wrong again plmkrazy. If you want me to cut and paste I can. You might have to use the vertical scroll alot more. If you want I can get my watchtower library up and running.

That's quite alright Mr. Bleep, you just go ahead with what ever. I have my own WT library,

dates back to the Late 1800's.( of course it wasn't called the WT then)

If I find myself so inclined I can always compare notes. I prefer that anyway.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Bleep said,

I know how to have a balanced life so I only spend five minutes a day here and check in every now and then.

That explains a lot about the lack of thought in the responses. So bleep is here to preach, not for dialogue. I wonder if he did a search for "dialogue" on his WT CD if he would get any hits?

• Bleep
    Bleep

Hope Compared to an Anchor

10 Paul pointed out that Jehovah had made a promise of blessings to come through Abraham. Then the apostle explained: "God . . . stepped in with an oath, in order that, through two unchangeable things [his word and his oath] in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to the refuge may have strong encouragement to lay hold on the hope set before us. This hope we have as an anchor for the soul, both sure and firm." (Hebrews 6:17-19; Genesis 22:16-18) The hope set before anointed Christians is that of immortal life in heaven. Today, the vast majority of Jehovah's servants have the splendid hope of everlasting life on a paradise earth. (Luke 23:43) Without such hope, one can have no faith.

11 An anchor is a powerful safety device, indispensable for holding a ship in place and preventing it from drifting. No mariner would venture out of port without an anchor. Since Paul had been shipwrecked several times, he knew from experience that the lives of seafarers often depended on their ship's anchors. (Acts 27:29, 39, 40; 2 Corinthians 11:25) In the first century, a ship had no engine to enable the captain to maneuver as he wished. Except for oar-driven warships, vessels depended primarily on the wind for movement. If his ship was in danger of being driven onto rocks, a captain's only recourse was to drop anchor and ride out the storm, trusting that the anchor would not lose its grip on the seabed. Paul therefore compared a Christian's hope to "an anchor for the soul, both sure and firm." (Hebrews 6:19) When we are assailed by storms of opposition or experience other trials, our wonderful hope is like an anchor that stabilizes us as living souls, so that our ship of faith does not drift onto the dangerous shoals of doubt or the disastrous rocks of apostasy.-Hebrews 2:1; Jude 8-13.

12 Paul warned Hebrew Christians: "Beware, brothers, for fear there should ever develop in any one of you a wicked heart lacking faith by drawing away from the living God." (Hebrews 3:12) In the Greek text, "drawing away" literally means "to stand off," that is, to apostatize. But we can avoid such utter shipwreck. Faith and hope will enable us to stick to Jehovah even during the worst storms of testing. (Deuteronomy 4:4; 30:19, 20) Our faith will not be like a ship tossed about by winds of apostate teaching. (Ephesians 4:13, 14) And with hope as our anchor, we will be able to weather the storms of life as Jehovah's servants.

• Bleep
    Bleep

I check in every now and then so that would be another five minutes or so. Sorry, dialogue is not in there.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

I hope Bleep's mouse breaks soon and Bleep can type some THOUGHTS...not nonsense into his/hers/its computer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit