What is truth?

by Heisenberg 114 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

What is truth?

I think that the word hate can have various shades of meaning. At least that is how I understood it as a Witness. I think that the my being a Witness was tied to the Good News that we preached which I believe was tied to the establishment of God's Kingdom in 1914 and the fulfillment of Daniel 7:44,45

I found that I was no longer convinced regarding what we were preaching and so could not be a witness. I think that the Good News preached in the first century was truth.

You want the truth but then go back to the deepest, darkest pit of deception.

I'm not a lover of Christmas but I don't think it's as you describe it. I was raised to have faith in what we preached and we preached that the tribulation would come before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passed away. This good news was changed. I made some big decisions in my life based on this belief, decisions that have had a far reaching effect on my life. I think a greater effect than Christmas.

• The Truth Shall Set Us FREE!
    The Truth Shall Set Us FREE!

2 + 2 is not always 4 (Unless you choose to have limited Mathematics for a G-D)… When G-D has a hand in ever changing circumstances in His ever changing creation, then nothing is what it seems to a limited human being who does not know all the factors involved...

I have experienced miracles more than once (by my own definition and comprehension. I cannot convey something that must be experienced individually....), and since Watchtower Witnesses do not believe in miracles in our days in what I would call this miraculous world of ours, then it is futile to discuss such miraculous events that brings me and others much joy, with people who are not honest with themselves about the circumstances surrounding their own faith...

Watchtower Witnesses who are not in the leadership are likened with “drug addicts”, the leadership might be likened with “drug dealers”. The outcome of the Watchtowers hypocritical lies are death for every addict involved. We can surely hate the drug traffickers without hating the addicts…

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome Heisenberg.

It's obvious you have a healthy uncertainty ;)

What is truth? In the last sentence you made (IMHO) a wise observation towards realizing truth by seeing what it is not: “Don’t believe everything you think. The brain is just as treacherous as the heart.” The rest of your post was just the “treacherous” play of thoughts, beliefs and emotions. Do you see that?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I would interpret what you are saying as: we will not find truth in thoughts and emotions. The reason for this is that we can simply not find a stable foundational TRUTH in the ever-changing turmoil of mental and emotional activity. Which is why we have kept asking the same questions and getting nowhere throughout our history.

So, perhaps, the remaining question is: is there that which is still and unchanging?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think it should be Daniel 2 and not 7.

My being convinced of the establishment of God's Kingdom in 1914 is of great importance if i am to be a Witness and survive Armageddon. At the time of my baptism I understood that the anointed Jehovah's Witnesses had been commissioned to preach or speak as a prophet in the name of Jehovah. In the same book that told me this it also told me that

Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom

The Nations Shall know that i am Jehovah-How? 1971 Watchtower Bible and Tract Society pg216.

This fitted with the teaching regarding the generation. An elder sat in my dining room many years ago and said to me that if the end doesn't come by the turn of the century then everything is wrong. I think he believed it was all part of the good news, the truth, that we preached from God.

Now having found it changed it causes me to not be convinced of the truth of the good news presented by Jehovah's Witnesses and so if it so important to preach the good news of the establishment of God's Kingdom in 1914 so as to join and support Christ brothers my not being able to be convinced has a greater effect or at least the same effect on my salvation than if i celebrate or don't celebrate Christmas. I do not believe it is my fault, I was taught it as truth.

Maybe i'm wrong Heisenberg.

• dugout
    dugout

yo heisanberg its a cult. you know why??? because they are bloodguilty. bottom line.................. they wont go to war, but they killed their own kind. Even babies. No blood

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

In the book Man's Salvation Out of World Distress At Hand 1975 Watchtower Bible and Tract Society on page 47 it says,

The glorification of Jesus Christ in heaven after his extraordinary sufferings as a man on earth was good news, Gospel, Evangel "Nevertheless," writes the apostle Paul with special reference to his own people, "they did not all obey the good news. For Isaiah says: 'Jehovah, who put faith in the thing heard [from] us? So faith follows the thing heard. In turn the thing heard is through the word about Christ." -Romans 10:16,17.

Page 48.

A similar thing can be said today. "They did not all obey the good news." This, even after the christian witnesses of Jehovah have spent more than sixty years in proclaiming the the "times of the Gentiles" ended in the autumn of 1914 C.E. amis the first world war and that then Jehovah's "servant " recieved a new elevation by being exalted to the throne of the Messianic kingdom...

In the face of the relatively small proportion of the world's population that has put faith in the "thing Heard [from] us" or proclaimes by us, it can truthfully be said: "They did not all obey the good news."

I understood this to mean we should have faith in the 'good news.' 'Faith is the assured expectation of the things hoped for...'Hebrews 11. I believe its been described as the title deed. It's sure, it will happen.

Page 29.

"After all that we have gone through since 1914, our generation would be, of all generations the "most to be pitied". (bold mine)

Think of it, though! Worthy ones of this generation of mankind will be saved alive out of the rest of this world distress so as to survive the worst of it and enter into God's Messianic new system of things and not need a resurrection from the dead to life on earth! This is a valid hope well founded on what was said by Jesus Christ..."

Watchtower June 1 1968 page 331

On the Joyful March to Mankind’s Millennium

'Arguing against a literal future millennial rule by Christ, some have claimed that such a teaching would chill the missionary ardour of Christians to make disciples of all nations. (Matt. 28:19,20) But not so! Today no people are more zealous in carrying out this missionary commission than are the Christian witnesses of Jehovah, who believe that the 1,000-year reign of Christ is literal and future. In comparatively few years these have grown to more than a million. Today they are carrying out this commission in 197 lands and islands of the sea and that in 169 languages. Last year they devoted 184 million hours to this work!

And no wonder. What good news they have to tell the people! They proclaim the good news that the millennial rule of Christ will begin with this generation and that it will mean ever so many blessings for the people :..'

So I feel that if we were to apply Paul's words in Romans 10 about having faith in this good news and it doesn't occur what happens to our faith? Maybe this explains how I come to where I am regarding the Witnesses.

As I understand it part of the apostle Pauls good news that he preached was the resurrection of Jesus Christ and in 1Corinthians 15:15 he talks of being a false witness if this did not occur and says 'because we have bourne witness against God' (NWT) if he wasn't raised.

• cofty
    cofty

I do not know of any other religion that is really following in Jesus footsteps as close as the JWs.

JWs understanding of Jesus is radically different from that of Jesus' early followers...

Is there a religion anywhere in the world that has a global preaching work in play?

The message being preached by JWs is radically different from the "gospel" Jesus commissioned his disciples to preach.

How many so called Christian religions strive to maintain the high moral standards of the Bible?

Actaully many christians have ethical standards similar to the Watchtower. However the ethics of the Watchtower are superficial.

And do they also maintain a neutral stance when it comes to politics?

Why is this a virtue?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

What is truth?

Truth is whatever the "faithful slave" says it is.

Thankyou for the excerpt from "The World According to Heisenberg".

• Heaven
    Heaven

What is truth?

Nature fills a void.

• poppers
    poppers

There IS another option: an impersonal God, and "truth" would be that which must always be present and never changes. An impersonal God would be within everything and everyone so that anyone could know its presence within themselves. Being impersonal and ever present it wouldn't require worship, obedience, praise, ritual, prayer, supplication to be known, and wouldn't care one bit whether anyone believe in it or not. All of those things are characteristic of a personal God, a God created in the image of man.

An impersonal God wouldn't "dictate" its thoughts to others to be turned into "holy" books which in turn would end up separating people from one another because of different beliefs about God, but would simply be present in a way that was undeniable if one was attuned to where and how to look for it. Knowing an impersonal God would reveal the unity of all existence rather than emphasize the differences among humanity. So "truth" would be that which is within YOU that is alive and ever present, and if it was discovered it would change how one viewed oneself as well as the world. It would be the healing agent of what is viewed in separation by the human mind because it would reveal the inherent unity of all existence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit