Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I have to classify the Ferguson riots as much more likely an opportunist excuse (largely if not entirely) for acting out and getting away with it within dysfunctional community of peers.

Exactly what I said on page 5, Terry. Boil it all down and this is not about racism or a trial gone bad...it's troglodytes doing what they do, nothing more.

• Simon
    Simon

How was Brown going to lethally attack Wilson making him an statistic when he had nothing on his person to do such a thing.

That's frankly idiotic. He was 6'4" and 300lb. His person was a danger and if the officer is incapacitated then he becomes a thug with a gun.

Does the police officer have the legal right to use lethel force to stop the aggression of the unarmed protester

If he's posing an immediate danger to the police or others then yes, absolutely. But you are talking about a very different scenario. When someone is throwing something and presumably there are a number of police present then you can do your best to avoid the projectile and you have equipment to protect you so the chance of it needing to be escalated is much reduced.

When you are on patrol and someone is assaulting you and it's just you and them ... it's very different. The officer did nothing wrong. MB did everything wrong.

The debate isn't about civility its about the proportionate actions taken toward an individual who was being uncivil.

No, being uncivil is not holding the door open for the person behind you or cutting in line at the coffee shop. This was WAY beyond being uncivil - this was clear violent criminal action.

You seem very desparate to blame the cop and excuse the thug.

They would if I was picked for the jury.

And would that be because you would base everything on skin color of the actors and not the actions they perform?

Hardly something to be proud of.

This whole case is about African blacks trying to intimidate law enforcement officers to prevent them from enforcing the law. Isn’t that what they pay taxes for? I am assuming they pay taxes.

I doubt many of them pay taxes but yes, the police are there to enforce the law and keep order. The officer was doing exactly that. Brown was doing exactly what criminals do.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

truthseekeriam: Most likely you will never be in a situation where you have to worry about how scary you might look to someone with a gun. I don't have that privilege, I have to worry each time my husband or son drives away hoping they remember to always keep their hands on the wheel if pulled over by a police officer.

But, according to your example, having your hands on the wheel won't matter, because if you look "scary" the police officer is going to shoot you anyway, right?

The trial and subsequent verdict was not about the relative 'scariness' of the suspect. It was about a dumbass who stupidly attacked a police officer.

• Terry
    Terry

Truthseekeriam: The FACTS are if you're a person of color you are automatically looked upon as a threat. We have the media to thank for that!

In this instance, it wasn't so much the color of the attacker which provoked a response--was it?

_____

None of this means BLACK so much as it does wrong-headed attitude.

The adults in this rioting community are passing on an example to the young which will never produce a reasonable solution. The stereotype is deepened.

When a sports team loses a competition and half the stadium riots, the end result is not a benefit to the losing team or to the sport itself.

• Simon
    Simon

Wilson was also a big guy of 6' 4" over 215.

I think that's incorrect. Cite sources if you want to continue to claim he was.

Is the actual size of these two men really relevant ?

It surely is a factor in how dangerous MB was. If it was a 5' 80 year old chinese woman then I don't think anyone would take the threat of physical assault from them as seriously.

So by that assertion Marvin you are saying that it should be lawful to lethally shoot at a person if your in a physical confrontation with another individual as well a cop has the legal lawful right to shoot to kill if a citizen tries to make hand to hand contact with them during an apprehension ?

If you are attacked by someone then you are allowed to defend yourself. No one has the right to kill you - your right to live supercedes their right to take your life. You have to be reasonable though. You won't get far suggesting that the 80yr old tiny chinese woman was going to kill you with her bare hands.

The FACTS are if your a person of color you are automatically looked upon as a threat. We have the media to thank for that!

Don't we also have to thank the high rate of criminality within that community? And also, it's not skin color alone it's the whoel package - if there is a shirtless black guy with hig jeans round his knees then someone may interpret them differently than a regular black guy. Same as if there is a white skin-head with tatoos and dock-martin boots on - we based threats on the boxed people put themselves in by how they dress and act.

Yes, I'm aware this may not be "the case" but what about being killed for wearing a hoody or listening to your music too loud?

Seriously, when does that ever really happen? If people are playing loud music, wearing a hoody and attacking someone then there will be some who want to blame it all on music, clothing and color and nothing else. It's not the reality though.

• minimus
    minimus

Oh no, not the hoody thing again.💤

• Simon
    Simon

truthseekeriam: Most likely you will never be in a situation where you have to worry about how scary you might look to someone with a gun . I don't have that privilege, I have to worry each time my husband or son drives away hoping they remember to always keep their hands on the wheel if pulled over by a police officer.

I don't have to worry about how scary I look to someone with a gun because:

a). I act and dress in a way that doesn't identify me with scary, criminal people..

b). I am not disrespectful to the person with the gun and don't do stupid things if stopped.

c). I don't break laws which would give someone with a gun reason to want to apprehend me, let alone point their weapon in my direction.

NEWSFLASH: Us "whiteys" don't sit in our cars when we're stopped thinking "it's OK - I'm white, I get a pass!". We sit there thinking "shit, what did I do? was I going too fast? How much is this going to cost me?".

Why? Because they are not trying to catch white guys or black guys or asians* or any other ethnicity - they are trying to catch people who break the law and who are a danger to society.

* they're never going to get pulled over for speeding - boom-tish !

• Razziel
    Razziel

From his own testimony I linked earlier, Wilson is 6'4" and 210. For his height, that's a pretty ideal weight, but most people would probably say he's a little on the lanky side.

• Simon
    Simon

Oh no, not the hoody thing again

Yeah, soon we'll get the whole set: he was shot for wearing a hoody, he was shot for carrying skittles, he was shot for walking in the road.

Nope, wrong and nadah - he was shot for attacking someone. It really is that simple.

I'm sure if your kid is a violent thug who one day meets someone who doesn't feel like being the next victim it would be easier to blame anything and everything else instead of admit that they were't the little cherub that they pretend.

Of all the excuses though, skin color is the best - instant support whether you are in the right or wrong.

• Simon
    Simon

From his own testimony I linked earlier, Wilson is 6'4" and 210. For his height, that's a pretty ideal weight, but most people would probably say he's a little on the lanky side.

Thanks - he didn't look that tall in the video / photos (maybe the camera angles)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit