Michael Brown verdict discussion policy

by Simon 254 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: This topic wasn't meant to be about the case itself, just setting the rules for a future discussion once the verdict is released. We should start a new topic when that happens as there is apparently going to be more evidence released as part of that or shortly afterwards.

• TheMark
    TheMark

I apologise for my comments a few pages ago..yes they were baseless, i know nothing about the story and will refrain from further comments. I'll just wait and see what happens.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Simon, I was wrong before about the OJ verdict, but I feel that oW will be acquited for the following reasons: oW has the authority to enforce the law,

He is not required to do so with rubber gloves. MB refused to obey the direction of a Police Officer. The officer used force to get MB to comply, Mb fought back. ow was justified to use deadly force.

I am not saying that I agree with such verdict.

• Simon
    Simon

MB refused to obey the direction of a Police Officer. The officer used force to get MB to comply, Mb fought back. ow was justified to use deadly force.

I am not saying that I agree with such verdict.

You are correct - at some point, someone needs to have authority to enforce the law otherwise what law do we have? Of course there is an authority over them to ensure that they enforce it correctly and fairly ... and over them to make sure [you get the idea]. The great thing about democracies that are different to other systems is that instead of focusing power at the top, in theory it's a loop with power returning to people at the bottom to control the process through elections, public hearings etc...

At every step there is always an "... or else". Either you'll be arrested, jailed, shot or whatever varying in urgency - courts take their time, cops don't have the luxury to do anything but respond on instinct and training. We want people to use restraint and understanding where possible which is what the higher authorities are there to protect against.

How would basic law and order work if this were not the case? If you say it was justified then don't you have to therefore agree with the verdict? If you say you don't agree with the verdict then you must believe it can't be justified by some level of authority in the chain and you need to decide which.

• Violia
    Violia

Fox news alert just said the National Guard is on alert in anticipation of the verdict. I just feel sick about this, either way this is not going to be good. There will be less destruction and death if the officer is found guilty but it all has a sickening mob air about it. It feels like the 50'sand 60's again and I was there so I can say that.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

... in theory it's a loop with power returning to people at the bottom to control the process through elections, public hearings etc...

The single biggest mistake I see in Ferguson is a disproportionate level of black participation as voters. Several years ago there was a tremendous influx into the area because of housing redistribution, reportedly with no proportionate change in voter demographics.

Hopefully recent events will awaken this civic duty so more in the whole community rise to the occasion to have more say in how government that touches their lives will be run.

• talesin
    talesin

DOC said,

Canada must have a higher caliber of municipal law enforcement recruitment than we do here.

Hay-yull, no!

Two years at the community college and presto! You are hired by the local PD. lol, cops have the best pot, that's been the expression I've heard all my life. And yeah, the local bootlegger (Pearl) when I was a young'un, a nice old granny on a country road, used to pay off the local RCMP detachment in trade (booze).

Sheriffs require a certificate, my sibling is one. That alone, is a scary thought. He is a bully, and like pedos, they tend to go to professions where they can practice their victimization.

tal

• Violia
    Violia

Tal, I know cops too and yes it does happen but most of them are good and decent people. The streets would not be safe to walk without them.

• talesin
    talesin

V, I just thought the comparison of Canadian police forces as "better" was laughable. I've known good cops, too, when in the pawn business and in my personal life - and the good ones, are great. In 35 years, though, I've seen too much of the other to be rah rah about any police force. That's life. :)

t

• Simon
    Simon

The single biggest mistake I see in Ferguson is a disproportionate level of black participation as voters.

Yes, local turnout has not topped 12% since the last mayoral election and even since this whole uproar started there have only been about 200 voter registrations for the last elections. Pitiful.

If you have time to protest I don't buy the excuse that you don't have time to go and vote. Don't complain about high unemployment and then claim everyone is too busy working to spare 20 minutes for an election.

It's criminal how the leadership has effectively fed people a diet of victimisation and disfranchisement so they they can muster a crowd but be not have a truly representative voice in the democratic process.

talesin: are you sure you are not just reliving an episode of The Dukes of Hazzard? I keep expecting you to tell us how bad Boss Hogg and Sheriff P Coletrane were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit