Michael Brown verdict discussion policy

by Simon 254 Replies latest forum announcements

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

So the officer waits for backup, let's someone get away, and the populace and media then jump on him for not being more proactive in taking a violent criminal who just robbed a store off the streets. waiting for backup is not always an option when your duty is to protect the community.

This tragedy could have also been avoided by Michael complying with the officer rather than attemting to forcibly take his gun. Why do you hold officer Wilson accountable for doing what he is sworn to do, what he is paid to do, what he is expected to do because it had a bad outcome but you do not hold Michael Brown personally responsible for his own actions that led to hid death.

Getting shot hot for stealing cigars is disingenuous.

Getting shot for jaywalking is disingenuous.

Michael was was shot for attempting to take an officer's gun by force. Nothing the officer did justified Michael's actions and it was Michael's actions that led to him being shot.

• Simon
    Simon

Getting shot hot for stealing cigars is disingenuous.

Getting shot for jaywalking is disingenuous.

It's always a million other reasons (including "... for being black" of course) but never any admission that it's ever to do with making dumb choices: for robbing a store; for attacking a police officer etc...

This is surely a dangerous outlook to promote to children because what does it really say? It says that it doesn't matter whether you do those things or not, that has no affect on the outcome, it's not why you will be stopped.

Suppose white people believed that if they were stopped 'for speeding' that instead it was really because of their color, then what incentive would there be *not* to speed? Same for lots of other scenarios.

I think this is one area where you can see the kids being indoctrinated with beliefs that ultimately affect how they conduct their lives and the choices they make and those can then have a real negative effect on their outcomes in life.

• designs
    designs

I grew up in the era of Kent State where the Hippies put flowers in the rifle barrels of the National Guard.

4 dead in Ohio.....

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

so Wilson shot a man he knew was unarmed

-----

From what source? The media and the activists who immediately began the 'hands up' protests/riots proclaimed he was unarmed and had his hands up - but I don't recall either in the transcript of the dispatch nor any other statement from the officer wherein he knew the suspect was unarmed.

• designs
    designs

What about the people on the street witnessing the events, what were their observations.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thesilence

no way is the article cherry picking

taking up one point - you say

That article has cherry picked facts. As one example i notice it showed the footage of officer Wilson after the incident purportedly to skew the idea of no damage even though the video is not clear to prove that, but it only mentions the video of ghe robbery Michael brown was involved in shory before the incident that clearly shows him strong arming and bullying a store clerk who confronts him. Just one example of the cherry picking in that article.

the article does say above the footage that the alleged injuires are not clearly visible

In remarks to the media in August, Ferguson’s police chief, Thomas Jackson, initially suggested Wilson had stopped Brown for this reason. Within hours he said the stop was not linked to the robbery, then finally said Wilson had made the connection during the encounter. Police have said Brown assaulted Wilson at the car and injured his face.

The alleged injuries to Wilson’s face were not clearly visible in video footage also released by the police on Friday

edit: we already know about all the other details about Michael Brown.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Apparently that he was shot in the back... Which has been proven false.

There red is also footage someone took after the shooting. If you ignore what the person taking the video is saying and listen to a background conversation you can hear someone who witnessed the event tell a much different version than what the reported witnesses have said.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I'm not sure how using the word allegedly refutes the cherry picking.

• Simon
    Simon

I grew up in the era of Kent State where the Hippies put flowers in the rifle barrels of the National Guard.

4 dead in Ohio.....

Exactly. Did they have tanks? The militarization of the police in itself is not the problem, it's how it's used.

Did anyone object when the military police were swarming Boston to catch a terrorist bomber? Of course not ...

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

What about the people on the street witnessing the events, what were their observations.

Some witnesses agree with Officer Wilson's account, while other witnesses have a different account. Forensic evidence and common sense agree with officer Wilson's account.

Maybe Michael Brown was only trying to place a flower in the barrel of officer Wilson's gun when we tried to take it away from him. That makes as much sense as any other MB sympathetic version of events.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit